Question about FATS

Options
So, I was wondering. Say if you had ALOT of calories, but it was all on food with 0% fat. would you gain? Im asking this because I am thinking about allowing myself to have more calories IF bringing down my % fat intake will still allow me to loose weight.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    For the most part its calories in calories out, and if calories in is more than calories out there will be no weight loss, doesn't matter where the calories came from.

So regardless of 0% fat intake if you eat more calories than you expend you will not lose weight.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn regardless of where those calories come from. DO NOT cut all the fat out from your diet, you need fat in your diet to stay healthy. Fats perform a vital function in the body which helps with the whole staying alive thing.

Your calorie intake determines whether you gain maintain or lose not fat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Fat is required for your nerves to function, your hormones to work, all your cells need fat. You can't digest some vitamins without fat. You MUST eat fat.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Calories in v calories out works in theory. But our bodies are more complicated than theory.

I struggle to understand precisely what the OP is saying. If you eat ALOT of calories but you burn them all up, no you wouldn't gain. On the other hand if you overeat, you will gain.

Do not eat O% fat. That's unhealthy and you will have health problems resulting if you do it for a while. Fat has real functions in the body. Its not just about storing excess calories. You can look it up yourself by googling. Please do it.

All the basics foods have important functions to keep us healthy. This is why its worthwhile learning about nutrition and what everything does. You don't need to know it all off by heart but you do need to be aware of these things.

If you are already a low body weight, which i suspect, then you should be aware that a low body fat percentage is going to put you in harms way, so don't go under your healthy low weight range.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Fat is required for your nerves to function, your hormones to work, all your cells need fat. You can't digest some vitamins without fat. You MUST eat fat.

+1 srs don't think about going low fat, you're gonna feel like crap... every cell in your body has a phospholipid bilayer which is pretty damn important...

Eat your fat; 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass is a good range.

Fat does not make you fat - a surplus of calories makes you fat.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Eating fat does not make you fat unless you eat more calories than you burn in a day. Fat is also an essential part of your diet, you brain and nervous system need fat to function.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    A zero fat, high calorie diet will manage to both get you ill and increase your weight at the same time.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, if I don't hit my fat macro (or come really close) then my body starts telling my brain to grab a spoon and the peanut butter jar. That's a very hard thing for me to resist lol.

Seriously, set your macros to fuel your body, set your calories to lose weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    So, I was wondering. Say if you had ALOT of calories, but it was all on food with 0% fat. would you gain? Im asking this because I am thinking about allowing myself to have more calories IF bringing down my % fat intake will still allow me to loose weight.

Often foods with 0% fat make up for it with lots of sugar ... that's where the "ALOT of calories" usually comes from.

But it all comes down to calories. If you consume more calories than you burn ... you will gain weight.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Calories in v calories out works in theory. But our bodies are more complicated than theory.

I struggle to understand precisely what the OP is saying. If you eat ALOT of calories but you burn them all up, no you wouldn't gain. On the other hand if you overeat, you will gain.

Do not eat O% fat. That's unhealthy and you will have health problems resulting if you do it for a while. Fat has real functions in the body. Its not just about storing excess calories. You can look it up yourself by googling. Please do it.

All the basics foods have important functions to keep us healthy. This is why its worthwhile learning about nutrition and what everything does. You don't need to know it all off by heart but you do need to be aware of these things.

If you are already a low body weight, which i suspect, then you should be aware that a low body fat percentage is going to put you in harms way, so don't go under your healthy low weight range.
    Calories in v calories out works, period.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I read the title as: Question about FARTS.

Carry on.
  • jarrahm133
    jarrahm133 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fat as a nutrient isn't the main cause of weight gain, it is mostly carbohydrates in the form of starches or sugars that cause us to put on weight. Try to limit you're sugar intake instead of fat and this will also help lower your calories
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    jarrahm133 wrote: »
    Fat as a nutrient isn't the main cause of weight gain, it is mostly carbohydrates in the form of starches or sugars that cause us to put on weight. Try to limit you're sugar intake instead of fat and this will also help lower your calories
    Excess calories is what causes you to put on weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Bringing down my fat % would be counter productive to weight loss as fat helps keep me full and thus not wanting to snack excessively. I go over my fat goal just about every day but am still losing my goal of a pound per week. I reduced calories by reducing foods like bread and other baked goods, which do not fill me up.
  • sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I read the title as: Question about FARTS.

Carry on.

So did I !!!! That must mean something lol