Should I be eating more carbs before workout?

Options
I workout every morning and suffer from post-workout fatigue. Sometimes I feel like I can't even function, especially after a hard session. I just want to sleep!! I usually have toast with PB&J and a banana for breakfast and drink 100-120 ounces of water each day. I know dehydration is not my problem. Should I be eating more carbs before I workout?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Question is... how many calories are you eating? And are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • dhiggins210
    dhiggins210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000 calories each day. I try to not eat back my exercise calories, but don't go over 2300. I always follow up my workout with a high-protein snack
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How many grams of carbs are you eating? And what kind of exercise do you do?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing some really intense exercise, no, what you eat before or after is not going to change anything.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better to eat more, eat more. Realistically, it almost certainly isn't necessary.
  • dhiggins210
    Options
    I am eating around 250 grams of carbs in a day. I am doing circuit training. Cardio and then strength training was getting so boring, I changed it up. The strength training is light and I give my muscles time to rest. I work a different area each day. I do about 30 minutes of cardio. It just can't be normal to be so fatigued. Yesterday I fell asleep for over an hour because I was so exhausted! I drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep (I'm one of those lucky ones that are out when my head hits the pillow). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you get plenty of sleep. If you don't want to take naps and you think your exercise is causing them, you could exercise less.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am eating around 250 grams of carbs in a day. I am doing circuit training. Cardio and then strength training was getting so boring, I changed it up. The strength training is light and I give my muscles time to rest. I work a different area each day. I do about 30 minutes of cardio. It just can't be normal to be so fatigued. Yesterday I fell asleep for over an hour because I was so exhausted! I drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep (I'm one of those lucky ones that are out when my head hits the pillow). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had any blood work? It's potential that iron or vitamin d could be low. Also, how much sleep do you get at night?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, eating more carbs at certain times won't give you more energy or make you less tired when you're done working out.
  • dhiggins210
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you get plenty of sleep. If you don't want to take naps and you think your exercise is causing them, you could exercise less.

Deguello, it sounds like you are telling me to just listen to my body (?)
  • dhiggins210
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Have you had any blood work? It's potential that iron or vitamin d could be low. Also, how much sleep do you get at night?

I usually get around nine hours of sleep. It has been a while since I've had blood work done, but have had issues with low iron. That hasn't even crossed my mind.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you eat carbs when you're tired after your workout, do you get your energy back quickly? If you hit the wall/run out of glycogen, you'll feel terrible. I don't think that sleeping would make you feel better in that situation though.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2015
    Options

I usually get around nine hours of sleep. It has been a while since I've had blood work done, but have had issues with low iron. That hasn't even crossed my mind.

Getting blood work would be the first place I would start.

Also, can you open your diary? Are you getting a variety of nutrient dense foods?
  • dhiggins210
    Options
    If you eat carbs when you're tired after your workout, do you get your energy back quickly? If you hit the wall/run out of glycogen, you'll feel terrible. I don't think that sleeping would make you feel better in that situation though.

You're right. If I fall asleep, I feel so irritable when I wake up!
  • dhiggins210
    Options

Getting blood work would be the first place I would start.

Also, can you open your diary? Are you getting a variety of nutrient dense foods?

Thank you SO much! This makes so much sense. I will I will look through my diary and check my nutrient intake. But, I'm thinking anemia may be the culprit!
  • yellowantphil
    Options

If the problem is running out of glycogen, carbs will fix it. You could either eat carbs before your workout, or have some sugar while working out. If glycogen isn't the problem, then the carbs won't make much difference.
  • dhiggins210
    Options

If the problem is running out of glycogen, carbs will fix it. You could either eat carbs before your workout, or have some sugar while working out. If glycogen isn't the problem, then the carbs won't make much difference.

What type of sugar could I eat while working out?

• yellowantphil
    edited August 2015
    Options

Anything but lactose, so no milk. I'd go with fruit juice. Or you could have a sports drink, pop, candy, whole fruit maybe. Just something easy to digest. You could try it and see if it helps--it might not.

I read somewhere that lactose digests more slowly than other sugars, which is not what you want if you're looking for quick calories while working out. And for me, chugging milk might upset my stomach. Those other sources of sugar should be easier/faster to digest.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Anything but lactose, so no milk. I'd go with fruit juice. Or you could have a sports drink, pop, candy, whole fruit maybe. Just something easy to digest. You could try it and see if it helps--it might not.

I read somewhere that lactose digests more slowly than other sugars, which is not what you want if you're looking for quick calories while working out. And for me, chugging milk might upset my stomach. Those other sources of sugar should be easier/faster to digest.
    Dextrose is the fasting acting sugar (found in whey protein products and gummy bears/pixie sticks). But since the OP isn't doing endurance workouts and regularly consumes 230g+ of carbs, it's very unlikely that its a glycogen issues.
  • yellowantphil
    Options

Dextrose is the fasting acting sugar (found in whey protein products and gummy bears/pixie sticks). But since the OP isn't doing endurance workouts and regularly consumes 230g+ of carbs, it's very unlikely that its a glycogen issues.

Thanks. It might be unlikely, but it's an easy thing to try. The difference when adding carbs will either be very noticeable, or nothing will happen. I've hit the wall while mowing my lawn before, and my lawn isn't unusually large, so I'm perhaps unusually cautious about glycogen now.