Question about slim fast...

Options
I am thinking about trying the slim fast shakes but have a couple of questions.

1. Does it actually work?
and
2. I work nights, and so my breakfast is usually at about 9pm. This is obviously dinner time for the rest of my family and we always sit and eat together. So my question is... would the slim fast program still work if I ate breakfast and then had the shakes for lunch and dinner? Instead of the shake for breakfast and lunch and then a 'sensible' dinner.

Replies

• a_dawn
    a_dawn Posts: 47
    Options
    Yes it works, and it doesn't matter when your meal is, just have two shakes a day and one sensible meal. I did it and had my sensible meal at lunch instead of dinner. Good luck!
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    In my experience, Slim Fast gets old real fast when using it to replace meals. Sensible amounts of real, healthy food throughout the day will serve you better in the long run. There's nothing wrong with using shakes as supplements or snacks, though.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I tried it when I first started on the same day that I found this site. I found that it was a good stepping stone for me and that I used it as a measurement to see how to really eat and measure the 1200 cal plan. It worked and I lost about 2.5 lbs for the first 2-3 weeks I was on this site and using the shakes most of the time.
    I found that they did fill me up, but that they contain lots of sugar and unnatural ingredients. I found that it was easy to start adding in similar calorie foods instead of just the shakes and getting the same results and feeling more satisfied. I would recommend just finding healthy real food alternatives with protein, whole grains, fiber, and some complex carbs instead of the shakes. If you want to start them for a while to get you going, like I said, it was good for that. This site makes it really easy to keep things limited, organized, and on track, so if you follow the cal and other nutrient remommendations on here, you should be doing fine without the shakes.
    They are not horrible, but i would say that if you are not able to do it and follow it for the rest of your life, it will not show benefits that stick for the rest of your life. Use this site and the tools it provides to change your way of looking at real food.
    I am sure that it would work the same if you switched up the meals and followed the plan for your two other meals and snacks. Good luck with whatever you choos to do :flowerforyou:
  • jen_42
    jen_42 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have the shakes when i am at work..i dont have much time to eat at work..so i tend to have a shake instead..its easier to drink it then to eat..i still eat sensibly at bfast and dinner..i count it on my calerie intake and its surprising how many caleries are in a shake..i have it for convience..the trouble is when you drop weight and go back to 'normal'eating i find the weight goes back on fast.. :wink:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It does work, and there are a few simple reasons why.

The shakes/bars are low calorie (under 200) and high nutrient. It is almost like taking a multi-vitamin with flavoring. This allows you to take a meal you would normally eat (many folks, around 300-450 calories) and replace it with the same amount of nutrients for far less calories (200 or less). This creates a deficit, just like this website does when you plan your calories, and over time, causes you to lose weight.

It will work for anyone who follows the plan, and you can choose which meal is your sensible meal instead of shake. You can eat/drink your shakes and meals at any time during the 24hours of that day.

I just want to let you know that planning and making your own meals can also achieve the same successes. You can make a small meal with all the protein/vitamins you need in it for low calorie, and have these meals throughout the day to reach your calorie goal without the slim fast help.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Be careful, they're loaded with sugar. There are 4 grams of sugar in one teaspoon, so one 11oz. shake has over 4 teaspoons of sugar. Yuk.

I agree, eating sensible meals will serve you better in the long run.