Eating more = losing weight?

Options
I used to over eat and gained a lot of weight so I started exercising and eating less calories and only healthy foods and I lost weight. After a few months of losing 20 lbs I reached a plateau. I was eating 1200 calories a day and exercising but not losing any weight. Then I downloaded this app and it told me to eat 2,000 calories a day! I never thought that would help me lose weight, I thought it was too many calories. But I listened to the app and had about 1,800 a day. After that it was late at night and I wasn't hungry anymore. After a week of using this app, I was under my calorie goal everyday except one day, I went over. I chose too many high calorie foods on accident that day. Anyway so after a week of essentially eating more, I had lost 2.5 lbs in a week! After a month of not losing anything! I never thought that eating more would help. This app allowed me to cheat more and be flexible and not worry so much about what I ate and I didn't have to be strict. I am really grateful for this app! Losing weight won't be as boring as I thought eating wise, or as strict. :)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how you were calculating your 1200 calories before you started using MFP.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating more

I think you are logging more accurately

Well done
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how you were calculating your 1200 calories before you started using MFP.

This was the question in my head, too. If not logging food in something like MFP a lot of people severely underestimate what they're eating, by as much as 40%.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wonder if OP calorie intake lowered as she lost weight.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. If I cut my calories more I plateau. I eat about 2000 on exercise days and 1600 on rest days and lose about two pounds a week. I think for me it comes down to what I'm eating as much as how much I'm eating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that eating more is the key to weight loss. If a diet of donuts and fried foods were the way, that would be lovely, but no.

I do think there is something to be said for the break, though. There is something about beginning losing that helps me lose more and do it quicker and it's not a water issue. I lost quickly when I began. After a LONG time, I plateaued. Took a LONG break, went back to it and the weight started coming off at a good chop again. It came off like it's supposed to! Then it slowed down again.

At first, I thought, "Well, I was so obese. That's why it came off quickly and then slowed down. I was smaller." But, no. I was barely in the overweight category the second time I started losing and it came off quickly again.

There's something up with that, at least for me.
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options
    Check out Eat to Perform's Wave Method for fat loss. It pretty much is what you describe.

Also, just because I and the OP are eating more it doesn't mean we are eating donuts. I only cheat for birthday cake so I don't feel like a jerk at parties. I eat way more whole foods, and don't eat bread or sugar anymore.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. If I cut my calories more I plateau. I eat about 2000 on exercise days and 1600 on rest days and lose about two pounds a week. I think for me it comes down to what I'm eating as much as how much I'm eating.
    Unless you're also, even subconsciously, cutting burn, or have a medical condition that makes literally no sense.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    No, failing to lose weight on fewer calories, given constant burn, doesn't make sense. Even with "actually" and a link.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

"By waving from low-high Calories day to day, you can spend part of the week in a Calorie deficit and part of the week near maintenance. A wave will typically last no more than 2-3 months. After this the athlete goes back to their true maintenance for an extended period of time (3-6 months) before rinsing and repeating, until they arrive at the best body composition for their sport."

Like this plan would take too long for me.
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options
    It happens, and telling someone their reality is wrong or didn't happen just because it doesn't happen to you is kinda rude.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't believe that eating more is the key to weight loss. If a diet of donuts and fried foods were the way, that would be lovely, but no.

I do think there is something to be said for the break, though. There is something about beginning losing that helps me lose more and do it quicker and it's not a water issue. I lost quickly when I began. After a LONG time, I plateaued. Took a LONG break, went back to it and the weight started coming off at a good chop again. It came off like it's supposed to! Then it slowed down again.

At first, I thought, "Well, I was so obese. That's why it came off quickly and then slowed down. I was smaller." But, no. I was barely in the overweight category the second time I started losing and it came off quickly again.

what do donuts and fried food have to do with the OP?

and for the millionth time no one is advocating a diet of 100% donuts and fried food, that is a ridiculous straw man argument.
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options
    @yopeeps025 it isn't an instant fix for sure. It is a pretty flexible method though, I lost 34 pounds in 20 weeks.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It happens, and telling someone their reality is wrong or didn't happen just because it doesn't happen to you is kinda rude.
    What if someone told you she could fly, travel faster than the speed of light, or otherwise act inconsistently with physics?

I mean, even the quote above says you'd be eating at maintenance part of the time and in a deficit part of the time. That's cutting calories below maintenance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

what do donuts and fried food have to do with the OP?

and for the millionth time no one is advocating a diet of 100% donuts and fried food, that is a ridiculous straw man argument.
    It's not an argument, lol.

I didn't suggest...or even think...that anyone advocated that diet.

You're arguing against things that weren't said.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    @yopeeps025 it isn't an instant fix for sure. It is a pretty flexible method though, I lost 34 pounds in 20 weeks.

They have such a big diet break while you could be losing off a constant deficit.
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options
    I don't think you understand what was originally said.

When eating 1200 calories I stopped losing, and then started losing when I ate closer to maintenance. No one was saying we ate over maintenance, we just ate considerably more than before.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

"By waving from low-high Calories day to day, you can spend part of the week in a Calorie deficit and part of the week near maintenance. A wave will typically last no more than 2-3 months. After this the athlete goes back to their true maintenance for an extended period of time (3-6 months) before rinsing and repeating, until they arrive at the best body composition for their sport."

Like this plan would take too long for me.

so it is a recomposition plan?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true, The lower you go more abrupt the faster your metabolism haunts then you can't wind down anymore because you've already dropped so low. That's why they tell ya to slowly decrease calories instead of in one big shot, ya u will lose weight but then you are a t a plateau when your at a 1000 calorie deficit, lucky for you this is heathy to be taking in 2000 keep at it and slowly decrease calories again, your body is happy it's back into the swing of things