First plateau ever, from what I can tell. Advice?

Options
ElJefeChief
ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Let me know if you can't see my journal. Have lost about 30 pounds of weight total, have gone down two pants sizes already. I think I've gotten a little spoiled by the fact that the weight basically has dropped off of me since I started all of this.

Aside from "weigh your food" or "get a scale" (which I'm not opposed to - I just haven't needed to as of yet) - any other suggestions? Should I just chill out and see if this thing moves on its own?

As an aside, I did recently get back from a working vacation in Toronto. We did a bit of eating there (which I logged pretty well). :smile:

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food is one of the best ways to ensure that your logging is accurate. Is there a reason why you don't want to do this?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    When you have more to lose, there is more room for error with logging. The less you have to lose, the less wiggle room you have with logging. So now is the time to start weighing your food. That's it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Be consistent... in weighing your food. :D

Also if you're eating all your exercise calories back, try 75%. Give it a month minimum.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've not lost weight? Did you recently change your exercise program? Have you retooled your calorie goals since losing 20 pounds? Definitely weigh your food. Drop your calories by 100 for 3-4 weeks and see if you start to lose again.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Absent any health issues: get enough sleep, drink enough water, and be honest with yourself about calories in and calories out. And the closer you are to your goal weight, the smaller margin of error you have in terms of calories in:calories out, so accuracy is more important.
  • ElJefeChief
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    How long has it been since you've not lost weight? Did you recently change your exercise program? Have you retooled your calorie goals since losing 20 pounds? Definitely weigh your food. Drop your calories by 100 for 3-4 weeks and see if you start to lose again.

It's been about 2-3 weeks that I've been stuck in the 202-205 range (normal BMI for me would be under 198, which is my first big benchmark).

Have not changed my exercise program much at all. Lots of running and walking.

Have retooled my calorie goals to pretty closely match my weight loss.

Will consider the food scale. Again, not opposed - just haven't needed to up until now.

I will drop the calories by 100. That's an easy thing to do, actually.

Thanks.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You haven't plateaued. Get more accurate with your logging.
  • ElJefeChief
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OK. Food scale. You guys are right. I'm working with much smaller margins here. I was getting spoiled by all the easy losses when I had more to lose.

[EDIT] - Just ordered it from Amazon.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    2-3 weeks isn't really a plateau. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? Stalls are normal.
  • ElJefeChief
    Options

Well, except that I have been losing consistently basically every week since I started MFP. Relatively speaking, this is the slowest month I've had on record.
  • ElJefeChief
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I had been losing consistently up until the second or third week of last month. Then it stalled.

Anyways, it's probably not much of a stall or "plateau" (maybe I'm using the term wrong there). It gave me an excuse to buy a food scale, anyways. :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Well, except that I have been losing consistently basically every week since I started MFP. Relatively speaking, this is the slowest month I've had on record.

I lost every week at the beginning of my weight loss . . . until I didn't. I was doing everything the same, but I stayed in one place for three weeks. Then it began coming off again. Sometimes the body is weird.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear; recent example ... the last 3-4 weeks, my overall loss rate dropped from ~ 2/week to 0-0.5/w, and then I dropped 5 lbs between weigh ins this last period. Had so much more to do with water retention than anything I changed in my nutrition or exercise plans.

Also, by your own admission, you are now nearly in your normal range. Your weight loss is going to naturally slow, unless you adjust to maintain the same deficit.

You have been sorta spoiled ... most ppl need the tighter accuracy that weighing and measuring everything gives them. If you do decide to invest in a scale, I am pretty sure you wont regret the $15-20 investment.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I can feel your anxiety in wanting to crush that next boundary and get below 200, but just be patient. You're not at a plateau yet. You know what to do and on a good course. I also find it helpful to change up my exercise routine and really push myself. Not only do you get the physical gains, but mental as well - helps you refocus and identify those weak points in your logging and overall plan.

Congrats on your success!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

I had been losing consistently up until the second or third week of last month. Then it stalled.

Anyways, it's probably not much of a stall or "plateau" (maybe I'm using the term wrong there). It gave me an excuse to buy a food scale, anyways. :smiley:

Yeah it's very frustrating but unless you've decreased your activity and/or started eating more, it's probably not going to last.
  • bazzathe1st
    bazzathe1st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was going to create a post pretty much asking the exact same questions as you DrEnalg. Looks like I need to get me some scales, push a little harder during my workouts and be patient. :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6-8 weeks, just ride this out.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Be always nearer to your determine weight. Do regular exercise, take proper food with sufficient water. Weighing out foods and fixings is the most precise approach to ascertain exactly the amount you are eating.