What's your favorite dairy-free breakfast food?

Options
I'm trying to ease myself off of dairy because my body is very sensitive to it and I'm sick of being sick! But this morning after my workout I was HUNGRY and all I could find for breakfast was yogurt and cereal (with milk). I ended up making scrambled eggs and toasted a piece of wheat bread (which is a good option but not great for the daily). So help me out:

What's your favorite breakfast with no dairy in it?

Bonus points to meals that keep you full until lunch time AND/OR to things as easy to prepare as a bowl of cereal.

Replies

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been preparing 'make ahead steel cut oats' and topping it with a fruit and honey.
    http://noshon.it/blog/2014/01/make-ahead-steel-cut-oats-breakfast-week/
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Steak, eggs, home fries with gravy and some fruit.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend a lite soy smoothie as part of a good breakfast. It probably won't be enough to keep your going a long time but its yummy and nutritious.

1 cup sanitarium lite soy milk
    1 banana
    1/2 cup silken tofu

With that, i would have something like one piece of wholegrain toast (i have big pieces) and a boiled egg, fried egg, tomato or something else of that kind.

Alternatively, i would have oats cooked up as porridge and use lite soy on it. If you don't want soy, there are other fake milks and the only one i like is rice milk but almond milk seems to be popular. I'd probably have some fruit with this breakfast as well but not many fruits go well with porridge.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Stout ... of course, some employers frown upon workers drinking before work.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I have been using Vanilla Almond Milk since I found out I have a cow's milk sensitivity (along with wheat and baker's yeast, ugh!). I like steel cut oatmeal with bits of apple and cinnamon sprinkled in. I also like Rice Chex with the almond milk.

My favorite is 2 scrambled eggs with sliced baby bella mushrooms, a little onion, 2 sliced Jenny-O turkey sausage links fried up with salsa on top. Very filling and delicious!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You might think, "OMG!" but you can try the cereal with half skim milk and half water. Eventually, you can taper the milk down to the point where all you need is the water. :)

Fruit, granola, eggs, oatmeal - those are my breakfast biggies. :)
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I enjoy an egg with an English muffin and some fruit. We use soy butter.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can pre-make quiches/egg casserole/bakes and heat them up quickly. Overnight oats are a great option, too. Or regular oatmeal, use almond milk instead of dairy products. If you make the oatmeal hot on the stove, stir in a bit of egg whites right as they're done cooking, stir really, really well, for some added protein, and a really creamy texture.

I personally love homemade "Egg McMuffins". A toasted English muffin, maybe some butter or cream cheese, egg whites, or an egg, and a slice of cheese, although obviously you'd omit the cheese. Can add a sausage patty or bacon, too. Breakfast wraps are also great, and you can skip the step of toasting the English muffin, and just load the wrap up with your goodies.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eggs and toast and meat
    (and cheese, because cheese)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    english muffin w. earth balance/nut butter
    bagel thin with toppings
    coconut milk yogurt with fruit and granola
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Two eggs over easy, over corned beef hash.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have a few.....oatmeal and blueberries ( I have never used milk..yuck), mushroom stroganoff over an English muffin, English muffin and jam and banana and peanut butter.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with chicken, veggies etc. or whole grain bread, toasted with peanut butter and banana.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    You can pre-make quiches/egg casserole/bakes and heat them up quickly. Overnight oats are a great option, too. Or regular oatmeal, use almond milk instead of dairy products. If you make the oatmeal hot on the stove, stir in a bit of egg whites right as they're done cooking, stir really, really well, for some added protein, and a really creamy texture.

I personally love homemade "Egg McMuffins". A toasted English muffin, maybe some butter or cream cheese, egg whites, or an egg, and a slice of cheese, although obviously you'd omit the cheese. Can add a sausage patty or bacon, too. Breakfast wraps are also great, and you can skip the step of toasting the English muffin, and just load the wrap up with your goodies.

Yep! All of this.
  • julialynnt
    julialynnt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm meal-planning tonight, so I'm extra thankful for the input.
  • sarahgreensandthings
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal w peanut butter or cereal and granola with soy or almond milk
    I also enjoy peanut butter toast
    Pro tip: eating slowly instead of scarfing it on my way out the door helps me a ton
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "Broatmeal": oatmeal made with a cup of almond/coconut milk blend and a couple of handfuls of blueberries, plus a scoop of cinnamon bun protein powder stirred in after it's cooked. The powder I use isn't dairy free, but it easily could be if that's what you're trying to avoid.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I can calorically afford it, I love grits, bacon, sausage patty, tomato slices w/ pepper and over easy eggs with toast and skillet potatoes with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers and garlic!!!
  • gymbunny1_xo
    gymbunny1_xo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Porridge and un-sweetened almond milk :)
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So my normal breakfast 2 servings of fat free egg mixture, 2 whole eggs, takes ~2-3 mins on medium heat (i add cheese) and some bacon which takes 5 minutes max. 1 serving of Oatmeal made with water and microwaved takes 2.5 minutes. Some fruit. I cook the eggs with refined coconut oil, so all in all near 800 cals, but you won't be hungry for hours.
    You could omit the coconut oil and add a solid food fat like avocado on top of the eggs.