How do i stop comfort eating

Options
So im not gonna give u my life story but a series of traumatic events as a child lead me to comfort eat. Ive been really really good up until recently... Has anyone got any advise or tips on what they do instead this totally sucks

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I use other methods to cope with stress.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Ayyyy

OP, I advise seeing a counselor or psychiatrist to help with this problem.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Spamalam wrote: »
    So im not gonna give u my life story but a series of traumatic events as a child lead me to comfort eat. Ive been really really good up until recently... Has anyone got any advise or tips on what they do instead this totally sucks

Do you have a therapist to help you with different coping strategies?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know, when I'm stressed I don't eat. That said, when you get that feeling go for a walk, call a friend, distract yourself.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for whatever happened :( Try to find other ways to cope. Meditation, yoga, read, call a friend, watch a funny movie, go for a walk, volunteer/help someone else, start a new hobby. It's hard, I know. I would say 90% of the time I can find other ways to cope with emotions, but I do still slip up and overeat occasionally. If it happens, it's not the end of the world. Try to plan out your next meal/snack (I prefer to pre-log everything!) and stick to whatever you planned.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Like...?

Elaborate, please. Details might help the OP, KWIM?

It's a bad habit, OP. Needs breaking. For me, the best way to stick to something is to decide that I'm doing (or not doing) whatever it is and then no more wishy-washy, "Should I or shouldn't I?" kind of stuff. Just BAM. Done. No looking back, no debating. Done.

If you have serious trouble and just can't seem to separate emotions and food, maybe some counseling with someone who specializes in eating disorders. You don't have to have one to benefit from their help. :)
  • Spamalam
    Spamalam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's really stopping me from achieving my weight lose goals and its frustrating me. Ive been fine but one slip back is so so so annoying. I haven't seen a therapist the doctors where I live aren't really interested and it takes for ever to get an appointment
  • jenaphile
    jenaphile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too in the beginning of 2015. So many things going on with my life, my only salvation was going home and "eating my feelings". Around February, I was SO disgusted with myself I started 30 min nightly walks around my block, 4-5 times a week, and as I started to feel lighter, added weight training. I lost weight steadily and am still going strong. The desire for the comfort foods kinda fades when you become, well, enamored with yourself and the "comfort foods" turn into manicures, clothes, makeup, etc, things that pamper your new hot body. Of course the occasional "bad" food is fine from time to time...you NEED to indulge now and then, but not until you can establish some good and reliable practices for yourself!
  • Spamalam
    Options
    jenaphile wrote: »
    I had this problem too in the beginning of 2015. So many things going on with my life, my only salvation was going home and "eating my feelings". Around February, I was SO disgusted with myself I started 30 min nightly walks around my block, 4-5 times a week, and as I started to feel lighter, added weight training. I lost weight steadily and am still going strong. The desire for the comfort foods kinda fades when you become, well, enamored with yourself and the "comfort foods" turn into manicures, clothes, makeup, etc, things that pamper your new hot body. Of course the occasional "bad" food is fine from time to time...you NEED to indulge now and then, but not until you can establish some good and reliable practices for yourself!

Deffo I agree well i Do walk to work every day but I feel my body's used to that so I might up the tempo I wanted to start jogging to work but yeah
  • Spamalam
    Options
    Deffo I agree well i Do walk to work every day but I feel my body's used to that so I might up the tempo I wanted to start jogging to work but yeah
  • jenaphile
    Options
    Seriously though..start with a basic walk, 25-45 min, 4-5 times a week. Either on the treadmill or around the neighborhood. You don't even have to power walk. Just walk normally. It gets you into a different mindset where your body feels stronger and lighter, and your whole perspective shifts. Good luck!!!
  • Spamalam
    Options
    Yeaaah it's 3 miles to work so I walk for an hour to work =D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You have to learn to (sorry for this terminology) feel the feelings instead of constantly finding a way to avoid or stifle them. It's hard and scary, no question. I kind of wish I'd gotten help for my issues in that area, so I would explore if therapy is a possibility. That said, here are some things that worked for me:

1. Journaling. When I wanted to eat I'd force myself to write about what was going on, how I felt, whether I was really hungry, that kind of thing. I was also really good for my first few months doing this at taking some notes about the day at the end of the day or beginning of the next. It was extremely helpful.

2. Learning to sit with the feelings. When you feel bad/in need of comfort, try just forcing yourself to sit quietly in a dark room (that worked for me, I'm sure the setting varies person to person) and be conscious of how you feel and why. I had a huge level of irrational fear built up about whether I could deal, and the more I did this the easier it became. If you pray or meditate you can incorporate that too. This was actually something I did a lot when I stopped drinking, but it was helpful also to the eating, as in some ways I used food in similar ways when it came to drowning out feelings. (I am not over this entirely, but it's gotten a lot better and I'm more conscious of it.)

3. Have an alternate comfort ready. Going for a walk is a good one, or working out. Also listening to music or, for me, cooking or shopping for books/music (there are concerns about using shopping too much for obvious reasons) or making a plan/playing with weight-loss related data (which always helps with motivation too).

4. Make a check list of things to do in the day and when you feel like you need to eat decide that you will consider it only after checking off a couple of simple tasks. This seems silly, but often stress builds up around the feeling that you aren't accomplishing things and just getting a few simple things done can make you feel better.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options

When you feel a compulsion to want to eat your pain / frustration away, try writing down yours thoughts instead. It is cathartic and will also act as a positive mechanism for not eating.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yeaaah it's 3 miles to work so I walk for an hour to work =D

What tends to work for me is having "low calorie" foods around.
    So if I have a craving that I'm unsure if it's hunger or feelings - I won't feel bad for having.
    I try and keep bags of vegetables around and I stuff my face on it if I get the urge.

When that fails, I'll have some low calorie rice cakes or an egg - I feel that if I don't have "indulgent" food around, I won't be "treating" myself if that makes sense? Most people comfort eat on sugary stuff, so you probably won't go through the trouble of cooking something unless you're hungry I guess? :)
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You have to learn to (sorry for this terminology) feel the feelings instead of constantly finding a way to avoid or stifle them. It's hard and scary, no question. I kind of wish I'd gotten help for my issues in that area, so I would explore if therapy is a possibility. That said, here are some things that worked for me:

1. Journaling. When I wanted to eat I'd force myself to write about what was going on, how I felt, whether I was really hungry, that kind of thing. I was also really good for my first few months doing this at taking some notes about the day at the end of the day or beginning of the next. It was extremely helpful.

2. Learning to sit with the feelings. When you feel bad/in need of comfort, try just forcing yourself to sit quietly in a dark room (that worked for me, I'm sure the setting varies person to person) and be conscious of how you feel and why. I had a huge level of irrational fear built up about whether I could deal, and the more I did this the easier it became. If you pray or meditate you can incorporate that too. This was actually something I did a lot when I stopped drinking, but it was helpful also to the eating, as in some ways I used food in similar ways when it came to drowning out feelings. (I am not over this entirely, but it's gotten a lot better and I'm more conscious of it.)

3. Have an alternate comfort ready. Going for a walk is a good one, or working out. Also listening to music or, for me, cooking or shopping for books/music (there are concerns about using shopping too much for obvious reasons) or making a plan/playing with weight-loss related data (which always helps with motivation too).

4. Make a check list of things to do in the day and when you feel like you need to eat decide that you will consider it only after checking off a couple of simple tasks. This seems silly, but often stress builds up around the feeling that you aren't accomplishing things and just getting a few simple things done can make you feel better.

These are all good ideas. Also, make sure you are eating enough calories. If you ARE actually physically hungry it is harder to manage the emotional eating. Make a list of things you like to do...hobbies, pinterest, watching movies, talking to friends. Make a list of foods you will allow yourself to eat that won't lead you to out-of-control eating.

If you don't want to see a therapist, maybe try to find a self-help book for whatever issues you are carrying. As for the emotional eating ...plan how you will manage it in advance, before the urge starts.

Good luck to you.
  • jenaphile
    Options
    Hm, you DO walk a lot. How do you feel after you eat a lot? I always felt so bad and lethargic which pushed me to stop. Also, you might want to examine what's going on in your life now that's making you want to eat. Sometimes when that issue is solved, the eating ceases to be a problem.
  • jessmessmfp
    jessmessmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Paint your nails. It's silly, but it gives you an activity to do - (wash, clean, cut, file, paint, dry), makes you feel pretty, and stops you from being able to eat - because who would want to smudge a new manicure? I do this a lot if I'm getting the munchies. Or I'll take a nice long bubble bath, with music, candle...lights low. It gives you space to think and relax - and I don't sneak my comfort foods in the tub. .

If I'm at work - I walk, walk, walk around the office. Look at pinterest. Grab myself a coffee.

Key is distraction and just making it harder/burdensome to eat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It's really stopping me from achieving my weight lose goals and its frustrating me. Ive been fine but one slip back is so so so annoying. I haven't seen a therapist the doctors where I live aren't really interested and it takes for ever to get an appointment

I'm not sure what you mean by "the doctors where I live aren't really interested" - you've asked your primary for a referral to a therapist and he or she wasn't interested? Did you frame your desire to see a therapist as being due to a series of traumatic events as a child or was maybe the doctor confused about the reason you needed a referral?

I'm wishing you well in advocating for yourself.

Meanwhile try yoga, which has helped me tremendously with emotional eating.

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating

• SugaBaby880088
    SugaBaby880088 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat for comfort, its really a mental fight but I try to not get anything from the kitchen and instead do a short workout video in the living room. I go to emily skyes facebook page and do one of her videos for ten minutes, then I have a realisation that the food will make me fat and unhealthy and exercise is hard work and I dont crave anymore.

If I give in I just eat and log, breaking the habit is hard though