Veggie tips anyone?

Options
I like broccoli, carrots, asparagus, zucchini, kale, spinach.....

Steam? Bake? Seasoning??

This is week 2 for me and my veggies and so bland and starting to bore me

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Roast them at a high temperature. You can add any spice you like, I usually just use salt and pepper.
  • julialynnt
    julialynnt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies. I'll toss asparagus in olive oil and then roast them at 450 with rosemary and sometimes a dash of salt and pepper.

Also, grilling veggies is delicious. I love to cut up a sweet potato, some peppers, some zucchini, and a few others and stick 'em on my George Foreman (no grill at my place). Excited to see what others post here!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I like steamed, plain broccoli. Everything seems better roasted as mentioned above. I even eat Brussels sprouts roasted with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper now.
  • DanniSellars
    DanniSellars Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best tip I learned to spruce up veggies and everything else for that matter is seasonings. I have been experimenting with different herbs and spices just to add some zip. Started trying different veggies and mixing them with what I love. That helps. Found some new ones I like and some I am still not sure of. I like to take a rutabaga (hope that is spelled right) slice it real thin and use it as a cracker or add a little seasoning and it becomes my chip of choice. Tastes so good. Works with beets also they are a little sweeter but they do stain a pretty red. Just have to experiment
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like simmering kale with canned tomatoes. Or you could make vegetable tacos: saute onions, bell peppers, and garlic in oil, then add summer squash and cooked corn or black, pink or pinto beans along with taco seasoning and a little bit of water. Simmer until the squash is cooked through, then have on a tortilla.

And grill them, too.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about mixing them in shakes. I got a great blender and enjoy a homemade breakfast smoothie every morning. I stuff 1.5 cups of kale into cup, and add Greek yogurt, a banana, frozen fruit, protein powder, and a spoonful of almonds or walnuts and blend until smooth and creamy. It's always sweet and delicious, yet I've got a good dose of green veggies to start my day.
  • Claude1138
    Claude1138 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    re cabbage with olive oil and lemon. I use 2cups cabbage to one lemon and olive oil to cover all of it and salt to taste. Leave over night and it makes a fresh awesome breakfast. Cabbage is hardy so good to let it set in fridge with olive oil and lemon. I love this, when hard to get veggies in I do this!
  • annl321
    annl321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love all veggies but my favorite right now is roasted Brussel Sprouts. I buy a bag nearly every week at Costco and roast the whole bag with about a tablespoon of EVOO and some sea salt. I eat them all week and love them cold right out of the fridge.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Big Pot Blanching for Green Veggies:

This method is best for cooking in bulk. Essentially, you bring a big pot of salted water to a rolling boil (it should taste like sea water). Toss in the green veggies and wait until they are tender, but with some bite to them (not mushy). You have to test them for yourself. It could be anywhere from 30 seconds to 4 minutes depending on the vegetable. Afterward, quickly drain the water in a colander and then shock the veggies in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

The veggies should be vibrant green and partially cooked. Pat them dry and refrigerate in Tupperware lined with paper towels for up to 1 week.

You can eat them cold or heat them up for a meal --> toss veggies into a preheated skillet with hot olive oil, fresh chopped garlic and shallots, kosher salt, red pepper flakes, and cracked black pepper. Let cook for 2-4 minutes and serve.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Roasting veggies is great. And everything is better cooked with bacon, though I realize you may not want to add the extra calories to your veggies. Experiment with seasonings and combinations. Mrs. Dash makes some awesome seasoning blends. I have probably at least three and some other blends from other brands in my cabinet right now. They're great for steamed, sautéed or roasted veggies, in stir frys and on salad.

Putting veggies in egg scrambles or quiche, stir frys and sauces are another great way to get them in. If you're grilling out, chop some up and skewer them and grill alongside your burgers.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Baked green beans with a dash of oil. Or grilled on the Forman grill -- no oil.
  • Kayk32
    Kayk32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have already suggested roasting with a little olive oil above and that is my favorite but so consider adding fresh squeezed lemon and lime to your veggies (and other food) it really brings out flavors without adding salt...especially potatoes and root veggies
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I agree with roasting, but also encourage you to not relegate vegetables to the side. Things like vegetable noodles or vegetable rice, adding a lot of vegetables into my chili, stews, burritos, stuffing vegetables (zucchini boats, stuffed peppers, stuffed eggplant, stuffed tomato, stuffed spaghetti squash), adding finely shredded or chopped vegetables into burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, nuggets, and also eating soups that are based on puréed vegetables like carrot, squash, pumpkin, corn chowder, tomato, pepper pot.