Winter Running - Beginner

Options
Good Morning -
This is my first post in the MFP forums - actually, I never really knew they were here :neutral:

Anyhow - I'm new to running... Started this summer with the C25k program and ran my first 5k in July. I feel like I'm really liking the results I'm seeing from doing it and I'd like to give it a chance during the winter months too. I live in Minnesota though, so winter means COLD.

I feel like I can't go from running outside in nature to running inside on a treadmill (I'd be so bored and likely not give it my all, plus I don't have a treadmill and I'm hoping to not have to purchase one).. however, I'm not sure if I'll like it in the winter months with how cold it can get here.

I'm curious if anyone has some tips on clothing for cold weather running... with the uncertainty of how I'll like it, I don't want to spend a fortune my first year, but I'd like to have something that will wear well enough to get me by the entire winter if I do end up sticking with it.

Any links to affordable, good, clothing would be appreciated!

Do I wear my same old running shoes or do I need winter running shoes?

I run outside on my lunch break while at work, so it's (typically) not dark.

Any other general advice/tips on winter running would be amazing... I'm scared and nervous - I really want to stick with this, but I'm super fearful my strong hate for cold weather will put me on the couch for the winter and I'll come out on the Spring side with 20 extra pounds...

Thanks in advance!
-AP

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I run in a similar climate--I believe we are snowier and windier but not quite as cold. One thing I have found is that in the deadest of winter (Jan-Feb, here), it actually becomes impossible to run outside NOT because of conditions, but because of lack of anywhere to run. The sidewalks don't get shoveled and the plow piles take up the shoulders/bike lanes; the local park with trails gives them over to cross-country skiing. So there is some treadmill time for me.

I do run outside as much as I can, though.

If you are running on solid ice, spikes or Yaktrax on your shoes are a great idea. They don't work so well on snow or on mixed ice and pavement, unfortunately.

*I* like Gore-Tex running shoes in winter. They are waterproof and, more to the point, *windproof*. (They don't work in rain, 'cause once water gets in the top, game over. But if you're trunching through snow, Gore-Tex is amazing). Brooks Adrenaline, Brooks Ghost, and Saucony Ride all have good GTX options, although they're a little more expensive.

Clothing-wise, it is really up to your comfort level, cold tolerance, and sweating. For heat, layering is your friend--the multiple layers will create air pockets and warmth. You don't want to overdress, though--sweat makes you wet which is BAD. You want to be a little cold at the beginning of your run so you will still be dry at the end.

Running tights are great. I like ones with a zipper at the bottom as they are easier to pull on. I have one pair of normal ones and one pair with wind-blocking neoprene panels in the thighs for the really bad days. On top, the most clothing I get is a running T-shirt, arm warmers, and a light jacket. Anything heavier and I'm a sweat bomb. (A lot of people do long-sleeve shirts underneath; I use the short sleeves and arm warmers so I can push down the arm warmers when I start to get hot).

I like a headband that covers my ears. I wear the Brooks Infiniti in pretty much everything. You can also buy a running, moisture-wicking hat. Winter stuff is *just* starting to trickle into the running stores, so please forgive me for not linking examples.

Socks: GET GOOD SOCKS. Moisture wicking (not cotton) and thick. I swear by Drymax winter socks. They, plus Gore-Tex windblocking shoes, let me get away without chemical toewarmers.

Hands: I have Reynaud's syndrome (bad circulation to hands and feet=>cold), so this is tough for me--I start wearing gloves around 50 degrees, when I am otherwise still in a tank top and shorts. In the winter, I run in mittens with a chemical handwarmer in each mitt. The isolation of each finger in gloves just doesn't work for me, no matter how thick the gloves are.

Visibility: keep in mind that even if you're not running at night, you may very well be in darker clouds, or in weather. High vis colors are great--my running jacket is neon green. I have lights that clip onto the front and back for actual nighttime.

Running Warehouse will do rotating sales--including on their winter gear--between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Actually, ALL the online outdoor gear stores will. Moosejaw, Backcountry, REI. I'd wait until then, and stock up. You'll get some really nice discounts.

ETA: My full winter setup is:
    + Gore-Tex shoes
    + Drymax winter socks
    + Road Runners light tights / New Balance windblocking tights
    + Short-sleeve wicking T-shirt (like from Target or Meijer or whatever)
    + Arm warmers made by cutting the toes off kneesocks
    + Brooks Infiniti running jacket, high vis colors
    + Manzella fleece mittens
    + HeatMax handwarmers
    + Brooks Infiniti headband
    + Road Runners LED lights if necessary
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Great post, @cheshirecatastrophe!! I'll be referring to this as winter approaches. I too am a beginning runner about to experience my first winter of running in Minnesota. I embrace the bitter cold and have every intention of running all winter long, but reality may be different.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Our climate is quite different - usually we have less than a week each winter where there is ice or snow on the side walks - so I simply take that time off.

I started running last fall and the number one thing I did to combat winter was simply force myself to go out in bad weather, which for us means pouring rain.

Dress right and get out there. Sure, it'll feel cold at first but as you warm up the weather will typically not be an issue.

If your route becomes impractical because of ice or snow, maybe consider using a treadmill at a gym or community centre. I hate them with a passion myself, but at this point I hate *not running* with a passion far deeper than how I detest treadmills.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    If you can lose yourself in a story listen to books on tape or something like zombies run with story interspersed with music.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    In Minnesota we do half marathons in January. I'm not running inside (or so I say to myself now).
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    to add on to @cheshirecatastrophe 's post. I have also found that running in the city is a bit more difficult. The roads have deicing agent put on it and you get a slushy top with rough, ankle twisting ice beneath it. I have moved my winter runs to the gravel roads in the country. The gravel roads are plowed but not treated, so you have a level sheet of snow. The downside is dealing with the wind, however with proper layering you don't get cold.
  • e5412
    e5412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Winter running is totally do-able. Runners World has a page that tells you how to dress..runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

Its just a guide not something absolute because it depends on your comfort level.

I'll mostly run on the edge of the streets, or on the dirt trails in the winter.

Shoes-For packed snow on the streets, I like to use my normal shoes with sheet metal screws in the bottom. (You have to grind off the tips or else they'll poke the bottom of your foot). Easy to put in and remove and the traction is good. They work well on ice too. Deeper snow (5"+) I have some running snowshoes (Dion 132 are what I have) that work surprisingly well. I didn't think you could run with snowshoes, but you can. Your pace will suffer, but you'll come out of winter a better runner.

Clothes- My advice-Layers and get a good jacket that breathes well. Some people try to use windbreaker jackets, which hold heat in, but you don't want your sweat to turn to ice either. A long sleeve wicking shirt, and another short sleeve wicking shirt over it. I don't think I wore 2 long sleeve shirts all winter. I'll wear 2 pairs of gloves and maybe take 1 or both pairs off before they get too sweaty. I'll wear a hat, and tights. On those cold windy days, those wind breaker panel tights are nice.

For light, I'd use a Petzl headlamp.

I think the coldest I ran in last year was -2 with a 20 mph wind. Much colder than that and I did the treadmill instead.

• 7lenny7
    Options
    It sounds like it might be a good idea to run multiple loops starting at a house or vehicle so a person could drop off the clothes they take off while running, or bail out early if they end up getting too cold from sweating too much.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin and ran outside all winter last year. There are some great gear tips in Cheshirecatastrophe's post above. To that list, I'll add a balaclava for the coldest days. Gore-tex shoes, SmartWool socks, and layered clothing, with YakTrax for the really snowy days. I bought most of my gear at Target/Walmart and TJ Maxx.

• MrsSteveJP
    MrsSteveJP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO MUCH - especially you, @cheshirecatastrophe! This is all wonderful.

I don't live in the city and not too far from my house is a dirt/gravel trail that is about a 2-2.5 mile loop, so on days that the roads are bad in my work loop, I can plan to run there. No worries of traffic and roads that have been de-iced. I also feel like with all the trees that surround this trail, it might help protect me from wind too. This may be my saving grace.

I will still plan to get some reflective gear too.

I just need to find the right clothes - I've seen some trickling into stores in northern MN (on the shores of Lake Superior, its almost always chilly), but I got so intimidated by the brands and different 'options' for pants, that I just walked away and told myself I'd deal with it later. But I need to be ready for it when it hits, so I'm trying to be ahead of the game.

I'll check out some stores and do some looking online!

Thanks again for all the help everyone - I'm hoping to be able to report that I made it all winter as an outdoor runner, but I don't want to rush the season upon us :)

PS - @7lenny7 - I see you ran the Torchlight 5k - that was my first 5k - it was awesome!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    A lot of really good advice here, so I don't have much to add. I have found that my underarmour mock necks are the most valuable part of my winter wardrobe - under a t-shirt on a cold day, under a tech shirt on a colder day, or under a fleece or running jacket on a really cold day. I have several pairs of underarmour tights that I love, and a pair of fleece lined northface tights that I wear on the coldest days. Most of the winter I wear my regular shoes, but switch to warmer socks, though I do have I a pair of gortex rides that I wear if it is snowing or the roads are wet. A couple of pairs of merino wool socks are worth the investment.
    You can sometimes find good deals a marshalls or tj maxx, but you have to be willing to search through most of the junk to find the good stuff. If there are any outlet malls near you, places like nike or saucony or adidas will sometimes have last years clothing line at a slightly discounted price.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner myself, but my friend has been raving about 'Icebug' shoes. I think they are Scandinavian so whether you can get them over there I don't know but worth a look into.
  • WMLizard
    WMLizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in the mid-Atlantic, so definitely not as cold, but I'm a total cold weather wuss, so I still wear winter gear. :) I resisted tights for the longest time because they just LOOKED cold - I mean, they're so thin and right up against your legs! - but I finally caved and bought some and they are great. Looser pants just let cold air in as they flap. So when it comes to pants, I suggest tights. Maybe try for one lined pair and one unlined, that way you have options as the temperature fluctuates, without having tons of things laying around. Ear protection is key for me - I feel miserable all over when my ears start aching.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @MrsSteveJP, If you get to Maple Grove, TC Running Co is a great place for running gear. The folks there are VERY helpful. I've bought my shoes, socks, and hat from those guys (and the shop in Eden Prairie). Their recommendations have been spot on.

The Torchlight 5K was a blast! It was my fourt 5K and I thought it was very well organized. I ran it with my daughter and we both agreed we'd run it again next summer. My next race is the Monster Dash half marathon. I hear that the organizer, Team Ortho, also does a great job organizing races.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    I'm in Wisconsin and ran outside all winter last year. There are some great gear tips in Cheshirecatastrophe's post above. To that list, I'll add a balaclava for the coldest days. Gore-tex shoes, SmartWool socks, and layered clothing, with YakTrax for the really snowy days. I bought most of my gear at Target/Walmart and TJ Maxx.

@ephiemarie - how do you keep your clava dry? Mine gets so soaked with snot and moisture from breathing out that it ices to my face, making it worse than pointless. Do you have one with one of those plastic masks?
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter too, and chesirecatastrophe summed it up very well. I live in Michigan, and do more winter races than summer ones. For me the worst thing is the wind, I live in a very rural area and it's almost all farmland, so there's no escaping the wind. I would recommend a lightweight wind resistant jacket. Right now REI has some on their outlet site at a great discount (Brooks Nightlife for $25). I have one, and while I think it's not as water resistant as they claim it is great in the wind.

If the prices at the running store are a bit high, especially if you're not sure how much you want to run in the cold, check at Taget, Kohl's and TJ Maxx. I like the C9 baselayer tops better than Under Armour and they are much cheaper.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »

@ephiemarie - how do you keep your clava dry? Mine gets so soaked with snot and moisture from breathing out that it ices to my face, making it worse than pointless. Do you have one with one of those plastic masks?

that is an excellent question and I'd like to know

and also living in the city, what does it feel like to run on yaktrax? between the ice and snow and slush
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    After suffering through hypothermia and it costing me my 100K finish, I discovered merino wool. Yes, wool. No, not itchy. If you wear it next to your skin (yes even sports bra), you won't feel the cold or wet. I was even in the pouring rain for nine straight hours and I didn't feel the wet (I was wearing a wool sports bra and short sleeved top). It is a miracle fabric that the wicking materials just CAN'T match. Once you try it, you'll NEVER go back!! BONUS: it doesn't stink. Seriously! People love to travel with wool pieces because they can be worn for multiple wearings without washing!! Try Icebreaker and/or SmartWool brands. You won't be sorry! B)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    After suffering through hypothermia and it costing me my 100K finish, I discovered merino wool. Yes, wool. No, not itchy. If you wear it next to your skin (yes even sports bra), you won't feel the cold or wet. I was even in the pouring rain for nine straight hours and I didn't feel the wet (I was wearing a wool sports bra and short sleeved top). It is a miracle fabric that the wicking materials just CAN'T match. Once you try it, you'll NEVER go back!! BONUS: it doesn't stink. Seriously! People love to travel with wool pieces because they can be worn for multiple wearings without washing!! Try Icebreaker and/or SmartWool brands. You won't be sorry! B)

I think it's itchy. :( But people who swear by it, SWEAR BY IT.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Daisy471 wrote: »
    I would recommend a lightweight wind resistant jacket. Right now REI has some on their outlet site at a great discount (Brooks Nightlife for $25).

@daisy471, thanks for the tip on the jacket! REI is having a deal until tomorrow where you get 25% off your most expensive REI Outlet item, so I got it for $17.73! Apparently I took the last one because now when I go back, they say they're out of stock. They still have the non-nightlife version in stock in some sizes though.