Eating more to lose more? Metabolic test question

Options
spotsonmyapple
spotsonmyapple Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all,

Question about what appears to be a controversial issue - I recently had a metabolic test at the doctor's office, the kind where you clip your nose shut and breathe into a machine for about ten minutes. The results show that my RMR is 2260 calories. Has anyone had success doing a similar test and using the results to cut the right amount of calories? For example, if I cut 500 a day, that would leave me able to eat 1760 daily, whereas now I eat 1500. Admittedly, I can't imagine eating the extra 250 calories daily would completely stall any weight loss given that I also exercise, but could it actually help in the long run?

Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What sort of results have you seen from eating 1500? How much weight do you have to lose?
  • spotsonmyapple
    Options
    What sort of results have you seen from eating 1500? How much weight do you have to lose?

Ah yes, information I should have mentioned. I've seen decent results from 1500 every time I start, but then after a few weeks I feel, and this could also be psychological but who knows, that I've lost a lot of energy and my body wants more. I also find that even when eating high-protein foods and following a good plan, I can still be really hungry shortly after eating. I have about 60 pounds to lose.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to cut from your RMR--that's your RESTING metabolic rate, how many calories you burn by doing nothing, the minimum your body needs to maintain basic functions. You cut from TDEE--total daily energy expenditure. The amount of calories you burn in a day when you're up and moving around. You can calculate it here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • spotsonmyapple
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    You're not supposed to cut from your RMR--that's your RESTING metabolic rate, how many calories you burn by doing nothing, the minimum your body needs to maintain basic functions. You cut from TDEE--total daily energy expenditure. The amount of calories you burn in a day when you're up and moving around. You can calculate it here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thanks! That's helpful.
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you start at 1500 and fall off the wagon, then that's obviously too low. You're TDEE is where to start, but those "formulas" are based on educated guesses so the average of about 3-5 should give you a rough idea of where to start. I say no more than 500 cals below that to begin with and see where that gets you, this 500 cal deficit equates to 1 pound per week lost.
  • katecampisi
    katecampisi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get so confused with the calorie thing. I did Michelle Bridges transformation about 2 years ago. It was strict 1200 calories per day and 6 day a week workouts. I lost about 8 kg. Im now weight training and exercising 5-6 days a week and was on 1200 calories a day for about 7-8 weeks. Very slow weight loss! I became worried that my calories were too low ( its recomended by the tools I eat around 1600 a day. But I know if I ate this I would not loose a thing! I only have 2 kg to go-the last 5 is the hardest right!? Im just getting frustrated. My diet is high protein, low carb. Lots of veges etc. ive cut out alcohol during the week. I am just finding it slow. When it comes up on fitness pal that if I ate like this every day id be x amount of kilos I laugh out loud! I have been eating like that nearly every day but it taken 9 weeks to loose 4 kg! Anyone increases calories and kickstarted weight loss?
  • Clarisse0304
    Clarisse0304 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I get so confused with the calorie thing. I did Michelle Bridges transformation about 2 years ago. It was strict 1200 calories per day and 6 day a week workouts. I lost about 8 kg. Im now weight training and exercising 5-6 days a week and was on 1200 calories a day for about 7-8 weeks. Very slow weight loss! I became worried that my calories were too low ( its recomended by the tools I eat around 1600 a day. But I know if I ate this I would not loose a thing! I only have 2 kg to go-the last 5 is the hardest right!? Im just getting frustrated. My diet is high protein, low carb. Lots of veges etc. ive cut out alcohol during the week. I am just finding it slow. When it comes up on fitness pal that if I ate like this every day id be x amount of kilos I laugh out loud! I have been eating like that nearly every day but it taken 9 weeks to loose 4 kg! Anyone increases calories and kickstarted weight loss?

I've lost weight slowly eating roughly around 1800 sometimes 2000 calories, high protein and veggies mainly. My workout consist of crossfit 3-4 times a week and 2days of cardio such as elliptical and walking. My rest day I mainly walk. Even though it's been slow, I'm not concerned because it's all about changing life style and assuming healthy eating habits. Little steps can take you to bigger results. Not only I'm leaner but I feel better, more energetic and my performance at the gym has shown.