It's happened.......

Options
i knew it would one day but it sucks. Got on the scale this am for my weekly weigh in and didn't lose anything. I had a great week - ate properly - so I'll just have to hope it's water. Lost 15 lbs up until now so I'm trying to stay positive lol. I think I'll weigh again daily until I see a drop. Is that a bad idea?

Replies

10075678 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates by 1-2lb each day. I wouldn't be disappointed with staying the same weight. Sometimes I find having a couple of days off before 'restarting' my diet helps to maintain a steady weight loss when I haven't lost any.
  • Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I told myself I wouldn't be discouraged if this ever happened but it was a little disappointing. I just love MFP and have found it so easy to do so I'm just going to keep at it until something gives. I have 50 lbs to lose so I'm not anywhere near finished.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    If it's going to upset, frustrate or discourage you then don't weigh every day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I did weigh daily too, so I would be sure not to miss the drop!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep. Some weeks you lose, some you don't. Some weeks you might even gain. Just how weight loss works. Keep it up and you'll get to your goal!
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you stayed in a deficit, then you're fine and it's probably just water weight.

I don't have a scale at home, so I'm not tempted to weigh myself every day, which is good for me, as I've still got quite a bit to lose. As I get closer to goal, I will get a scale a weight myself more often than every couple of weeks. A lot of MFPers weight themselves daily, and don't get freaked out about the fluctuations because they see how their body works and I know I'll have to learn to understand it too, if I want to maintain.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    As you lose more weight it gets a little slower.

I look at mine daily but really note and record the end of month low number for the last few days

It is easy to see a pound or so of water come and go.

If you are eating the right amount consistently, you will lose weight long term. It is just math

I only target 3-5 pounds a month. That is slow,

Hang in there!

• Tinawood40
    Options
    I'm trying for one pound a week too. Slow and steady. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll weigh every day until I see a change then go back to once a week. I admire the people who can keep their cool and weigh everyday lol. I think I would freak out if I saw my weight fluctuate like that.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed weighing and tracking it every single day. I've come to learn the little upward swings are normal - have even come to expect them. For the first time in my life I am not freaking out about gaining a little bit - I have learned that it is all part of the process.

Don't be discouraged. If you are doing everything right, then it is a normal adjustment. You might have a big loss next week :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Tinawood40 wrote: »
    I'm trying for one pound a week too. Slow and steady. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll weigh every day until I see a change then go back to once a week. I admire the people who can keep their cool and weigh everyday lol. I think I would freak out if I saw my weight fluctuate like that.

If you think you're going to freak out then don't do it.

Just keep with what you're doing. It's obviously working. you probably just retained some water - is it TOM?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    A week doesn't matter.

I lose very little or even gain some weeks. Then following weeks I lose big.

Look at your weightloss for the month or quarter.

Like last week I apparently lost 1.5kg, this was like double my goal, but it's what the scales said.

But I bet next week I'll lose .2kg and the average will even out to be close to my goal weightloss.
  • Tinawood40
    Options
    No Tom for me anymore. I'm 52. Whoooweeee. The best part of being in your 50 's. I think you're right and I'll just see a loss or bigger loss next week. You've all pumped me up. Thanks !!! I feel much bett
  • Tinawood40
    Options
    Sorry.....better now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up and down all the time, it doesn't bother me. This week I'm up 3lbs but I know it's not fat as I've been maintaining or at a deficit (bit less stringent last week) so it's just a natural fluctuation. If it was 6 weeks and nothing had changed I'd be worried, a week or two is just normal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As people have said, weight loss is not linear. My weight this morning was a pound and a half over what I weighed last Wednesday...however, it's also two pounds less than what I weighed Sunday morning. There are so many factors that can mask even someone who logs with 100% accuracy. Be patient and try not to let the ups and downs get to you.
  • francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of factors that make your weight fluctuate on a daily basis and even from week to week.

This does NOT mean you did not lose any fat (assuming you kept on track with your diet and exercise program).

Since there are no practical ways (that I know of) to accurately measure body fat at home, the only number you can track is your weight. And while this number may be important, it is not a reflection of your progress, at least in the short term.

It's all about the trend over several weeks or even months.

If you weigh yourself everyday, you will quickly realize how huge these fluctuations can be. But it can be frustrating which is why many people advise not to weigh yourself everyday.

Ultimately the choice is yours.

Wether you lost weight or not over the course of one week doesn't really matter but losing confidence is a much bigger problem ! :)

So don't give up and best of luck to you !

• Tinawood40
    Options
    Yes you're right - I know I ate properly - so I feel confident it's just a glitch. Glad to hear it happens to everyone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    May the force be with you Tina :lol: It happens to me all the bloody time!

There I stand on that scale, with that look upon my face that we all have when those numbers don't say what we want them to :anguished::astonished:
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I gained 2lbs since I weighed in at home less than a week ago. It's been so humid here, and I am hoping upon hope that it is from water... Of course it has to happen when I am doing my weigh in at work for our contest.. today.. Or it could have been the Jets pizza I stuffed my face with, idk...
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    May the force be with you Tina :lol: It happens to me all the bloody time!

There I stand on that scale, with that look upon my face that we all have when those numbers don't say what we want them to :anguished::astonished:

This made me LOL! I weigh at the gym while trying to block the big slidey thing from everyone's view and quietly move it to that "200" notch all while trying to maintain my poker face as I have to move the little slidey thing farther to the right than I expected. *Sorry for all of the technical terms.