Question: As weight is lost why are the daily goals increased?

Options
I'm no nutritionist. But while I'm losing weight I'm concerned with the notion of eating more as the weight check-ins adjust my daily calorie goals up?

Somebody 'splainify this one to me please.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That shouldn't happen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    yeah, it should be the other way around...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Unless you also alter rate of loss, that makes no sense. I haven't seen it do that, but that doesn't mean it can't.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you are now supposed to lose 1.5 pounds instead of 2 pounds, you may get a slight calorie bump.

Has the amount you're supposed to lose per week changed?
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's working towards a maintenance level? Once you've reached your goal, you should probably increase calorie intake to maintain the current weight instead of losing more. But I've never seen this happen either, so your guess is as good as mine.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If your rate of loss isn't being changed, then it shouldn't be going up.(Unless you signed up during the glitch a few months back and it's just correcting itself)
  • Tilly1285
    Tilly1285 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I thought it was kinda strange too. Prior to weighing this morning my daily goal was 1480. When I entered my new weight the daily went to 1500. I'm on a roll and don't want to mess up by suddenly messing up what's been working.
  • Tilly1285
    Options
    I haven't changed my weekly desired loss amount of 2#.
  • jachmannjachmanngmailcom2015
    Options
    Hi. I noticed it as well with my profile. MFP is gearing you up towards maintenance status as you get closer to target weight. As long as you keep up your exercises, you don't need to worry and enjoy the 'bonus' calories!
  • Tilly1285
    Options
    Well, I'm a loooong way from goal (60 pounds).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bug. Try logging into a computer and reentering your new weight.
  • shadow2soul
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi. I noticed it as well with my profile. MFP is gearing you up towards maintenance status as you get closer to target weight. As long as you keep up your exercises, you don't need to worry and enjoy the 'bonus' calories!
    @jachmannjachmanngmailcom2015
    Mine hasn't done that and I am past the goal weight I put in the settings on my MFP profile.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mine has been set at 1,200 for a 2lb weight loss, and hasn't moved since. I have lost 15-17lbs(different scales so giving margin, may be smaller than that, idk), and the caloric goal hasn't changed.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Mine has been set at 1,200 for a 2lb weight loss, and hasn't moved since. I have lost 15-17lbs(different scales so giving margin, may be smaller than that, idk), and the caloric goal hasn't changed.
    It's unlikely yours will without you changing your settings. 1200 is the minimum MFP will give a woman. Mine would be 1200 if I pick anything faster than 1 lb per week loss. Why? It comes down to the simple fact that based on my activity level, my estimated daily burn with out exercise is not high enough to achieve anything more than 1 lb per week without dropping into calorie levels that are unhealthy. If I lower my activity level than anything more than 0.5 lb would be too much (drop me below 1200).
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    It's unlikely yours will without you changing your settings. 1200 is the minimum MFP will give a woman. Mine would be 1200 if I pick anything faster than 1 lb per week loss. Why? It comes down to the simple fact that based on my activity level, my estimated daily burn with out exercise is not high enough to achieve anything more than 1 lb per week without dropping into calorie levels that are unhealthy. If I lower my activity level than anything more than 0.5 lb would be too much (drop me below 1200).

I know, I was just saying that mine hasn't gone up at all. I don't even eat at 1,200, I'm more like around 1,500-1,600. I'm still losing, so I'm cool with that :D
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Tilly1285 wrote: »
    I thought it was kinda strange too. Prior to weighing this morning my daily goal was 1480. When I entered my new weight the daily went to 1500. I'm on a roll and don't want to mess up by suddenly messing up what's been working.
    Your profile indicates you are male, and since December 2014, MFP has implemented a minimum goal of 1500 Calories per day for men. If you entered your current weight in the goals section, instead of Check-In (Web version) or Progress (mobile app), your updated goals would now be set to the minimum for men.
    Please see this article on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals