Fitbit

Options
Anyone got a fitbit? If so what's your views on them? Thanks

Replies

• airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just got mine, but I love it so far. My favorite thing about it is knowing what my TDEE is every day, how it fluctuates, and how big my deficit really is and should be. So much better than going by an online calculator. I can't wait to see in a few weeks just how accurate my logging is.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was just a jumped-up pedometer. Then I got one. Now I know that it's a super-fun motivational device that makes a game out of walking and running and climbing stairs. YMMV, and my sense of fun is twisted.

I got the Charge HR for the heart rate monitor - I had a running watch once and I've been missing that data since it broke.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    How is the charge HR? does it give any skin irritation? I've been thinking about getting one but heard some people got skin irritation from fitbits and i have sensitive skin.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    How is the charge HR? does it give any skin irritation? I've been thinking about getting one but heard some people got skin irritation from fitbits and i have sensitive skin.

I have sensitive skin, and I've worn a Charge HR for several months with no problems—and a Flex before that. The Fitbit Force was recalled because of skin irritation. I follow the instructions at https://www.fitbit.com/productcare

I haven't seen any complaints in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I have sensitive skin, and I've worn a Charge HR for several months with no problems—and a Flex before that. The Fitbit Force was recalled because of skin irritation. I follow the instructions at https://www.fitbit.com/productcare

I haven't seen any complaints in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Sweet! *writes christmas list*
  • sozy82
    sozy82 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Brill thanks. I have asked for one for my birthday in a fortnight
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

I get contact dermatitis from metals that contain nickel, and I haven't had a problem with the buckle on the Charge HR. No issues with the plastic, either.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Same here. I take mine off when I shower and wash it with generic Cetaphil on mornings where i work out. Haven't had irritation issues.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I had the Charge HR, which was ok. But I switched to the Garmin Vivofit 2 a few months ago because I wanted a device that was waterproof with a one year battery life. I think the Fitbits are nice, though.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The only complaint I have is that it's not waterproof, so I can't take it swimming! XD

Seriously, I love mine. I'm not the type of person that will sit and crunch data, but it is fun to see where I'm at and how walking really affects my daily calories.
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    The only complaint I have is that it's not waterproof, so I can't take it swimming! XD

Yeah. I do put it in a plastic baggie and stuck it in my pocket when going to a waterpark, but that won't work as well when doing actual swimming.
  • dobrodrummer
    dobrodrummer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any comparison between the Charge HR and the Surge? Is it worth the extra cost?
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One...just got it yesterday and I'm loving it so far. I don't run so the HR stuff (from what I've read amongst users) wouldn't be too accurate. I'll get a chest strap HR monitor if I get that serious. For what I need, which is something NOT on my wrist b/c I hate anything and everything touching my wrists (or neck or whatever...seriously...I have tattoos instead b/c I can't feel those lol)...the One has been perfect thus far. I LOVE the fitbit programs online!!!! Now I can obsess in TWO places! MFP and Fitbit lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Any comparison between the Charge HR and the Surge? Is it worth the extra cost?

Depends on if you want the extra features like GPS, various exercise mode options, ability to read texts on watch, etc or if you are fine without the frills.

I have the Surge and love it. I really love the different exercise modes and being able to read texts/see who's calling without looking at my phone. The notifications part lets me see if it's something that needs my immediate attention (family emergency) or if it's something that can wait until I'm not busy.

The GPS is great if I'm not pushing a stroller or something. If I'm pushing something, that is where the GPS fails me. It will not correct steps or distance based on the GPS. It only tracks your route. It will still base distance on the steps it picks up. For this reason I still have to use my phone (open Fitbit app, go to track workout, select walk or run) for GPS when I'm pushing a stroller. The app will correct my steps/distance that wasn't tracked accurately based on the distance the GPS tracked me walking. This works with any Fitbit model. The GPS was a huge let down for me.

That said, I think the majority of people are probably happy with just the Charge HR. I actually debated between the 2, but at the time the Charge HR was back-ordered and that kind of finalized my choice to go with the Surge.
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    The Surge only shows you text messages, so not full smartwatch capability. So I am sticking with my (albeit goofy) Charge HR and Pebble setup and wear a watch on each arm.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've used a FitBit One for close to 3 years and I love it
  • Daydreamangel
    Daydreamangel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the flex...it's a great little gadget that tracks your activity, but it does overestimate your calorie burn sometimes. I would probably minus 100 to 200 calories from the TDEE it gives you.