Need Advice on Gaining Weight Faster

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tjames4357 wrote: »
    Which also ice cream is very high in sugar, by which i have enough of in the diet due to gatorade, protein bars and occasional red bulls. I am trying to stay away from too many sweets. But ive been hitting my 5000 calorie mark everyday besides a couple days as of recent

Well if you want to gain weight, and you can't do it now based on the foods you are eating, the you will have to find a way to eat more calories, which generally means less restriction. Like we say, get a bunch of nutrient dense foods, and then go to town on other stuff. Sugar isn't bad in the context of an overall good diet. I am not suggesting going to have a diet full of sugar, but to help get you enough calories, a family size chocolate bar can help or even a higher calorie protein bar. You can't eat ice cream... fine... have a blueberry muffin (some of those are up to 800 calories) and they have blueberries, so you know, healthy ;). With the muffin, slap on some butter. Add cheese to a lot of things (especially higher fat versions). But while you are adding calories, you can still have veggies, fruits, legumes, whole grains, fish, etc.. When you cook meats, use recipes that use EVOO or use marinades.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Which also ice cream is very high in sugar, by which i have enough of in the diet due to gatorade, protein bars and occasional red bulls. I am trying to stay away from too many sweets. But ive been hitting my 5000 calorie mark everyday besides a couple days as of recent

So what changed that you aren't getting to 5000 anymore?
    If you were tracking you can actually see which calories you are no longer eating. Is there a reason for that?

Otherwise I'm confused why you asked for advice while you knew exactly what to do...

ETA: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015
    Perhaps take a look at that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so why even post asking for help if you have the answers already????

and please take the sugar is bad rubbish to the main forums….
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Well if you want to gain weight, and you can't do it now based on the foods you are eating, the you will have to find a way to eat more calories, which generally means less restriction. Like we say, get a bunch of nutrient dense foods, and then go to town on other stuff. Sugar isn't bad in the context of an overall good diet. I am not suggesting going to have a diet full of sugar, but to help get you enough calories, a family size chocolate bar can help or even a higher calorie protein bar. You can't eat ice cream... fine... have a blueberry muffin (some of those are up to 800 calories) and they have blueberries, so you know, healthy ;). With the muffin, slap on some butter. Add cheese to a lot of things (especially higher fat versions). But while you are adding calories, you can still have veggies, fruits, legumes, whole grains, fish, etc.. When you cook meats, use recipes that use EVOO or use marinades.

Would second what @psulemon said about blueberry muffins. Starbucks do a great blueberry muffin. Really tasty as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Haha. Thanks. I want to try and stay healthy still eating. But i stay active throughout the day. J wake up at 4 am to workout for an hr and a half, then go to work doing IT work, not hard labor but still walking around a lot. And then after work usually have a lot of activities, like i am part time for a fire dept and i play competitive slow pitch softball

Sorry- I find anything that says slow in it hard to be considered competetive- but it's a cousin to baseball- and that's barely a sport as it is. so eh.

anyway- eat more. that's simply the only answer.

there are two ways in which you can accomplish this.
    More Volume.
    Or
    Calorie Dense

And at 5K (if you really are eating 5K- are you tracking accurately or are you just guessing- diary is closed so I can only hazard a guess) Most people who assume that usually aren't eating as much as they think.

Never the less- eat your chicken eat your brocolli- then go buy the bulk size box of snickers and eat that. And pizza.
    And five guys- one burger fries and a drink can easily hit 1500 calories.

As psulemon said- no bonus points after you hit the minimum mark- find the highest calorie foods- with the lowest density you can and eat those, I know a kid who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies to up the calorie content.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Haha. Thanks. I want to try and stay healthy still eating. But i stay active throughout the day. J wake up at 4 am to workout for an hr and a half, then go to work doing IT work, not hard labor but still walking around a lot. And then after work usually have a lot of activities, like i am part time for a fire dept and i play competitive slow pitch softball

Sorry- I find anything that says slow in it hard to be considered competetive- but it's a cousin to baseball- and that's barely a sport as it is. so eh.

More Volume.
    Or
    Calorie Dense

And at 5K (if you really are eating 5K- are you tracking accurately or are you just guessing- diary is closed so I can only hazard a guess) Most people who assume that usually aren't eating as much as they think.

Never the less- eat your chicken eat your brocolli- then go buy the bulk size box of snickers and eat that. And pizza.

As psulemon said- no bonus points after you hit the minimum mark- find the highest calorie foods- with the lowest density you can and eat those, I know a kid who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies to up the calorie content.

OMG, that sounds amazing!
  • JoRocka
    Options

More Volume.
    Or
    Calorie Dense

yeah- for realz- perfect shake. I unfortunately don't have the room for that but perhaps as a treat one day!!! LOL
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Lactose allergy but eats pizza?!? If there's no cheese it's not pizza in my book.
    And as JoRocka said: "if you really are eating 5K- are you tracking accurately or are you just guessing- diary is closed so I can only hazard a guess) Most people who assume that usually aren't eating as much as they think."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

More Volume.
    Or
    Calorie Dense

Waste of cheesecake if you ask me!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Open your diary OP
  • JoRocka
    Options

More Volume.
    Or
    Calorie Dense

Waste of cheesecake if you ask me!

well- for me- personally cheese cake is only but so good- so it's better in a smoothie ;)
  • Bytegal
    Bytegal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was there when I was young. Don't make yourself sick about it. Some people burn more calories doing less. I started to gain weight when I got in my 40's. So it might come.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Want to gain weight faster, EAT MORE

This.

I was eating 7000 cals on my bulk,metabolism is ridiculous
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    5000 calories? For every guy that tells me that, I usually find out they eat half that. What are you eating on a daily basis?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kohabby
    kohabby Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Eat more fat. Why? Because fat has twice as many calories as carbs and proteins. So high fat foods apart from all the junk food are: nuts, seeds, salad dressing with olive oil, nut oils or best quality whole egg mayonnaise, butter, meat with fat (avoid processed meats because these are more carcinogenic, which matters if you are eating a lot of it), avocado,oily fish like salmon and sardines, cheese, full cream dairy (but don't drink more than 3 cups worth daily because there seems to be a link between high milk consumption and prostate cancer), cheese sauce, white sauces on your food, full cream yoghurt. These are probably the foods highest in fat that are whole foods or considered whole foods. Its easy to cook with lots of oil to make your food more tasty. Just don't overdo it so that it tastes bad. Cooking with good oils but minimise industrially produced oil because these are not so healthy. Stick with nut oils, cold pressed oils of any sort.

The fat will not make you fat if you are burning it up. Cut back when your activity levels fall or you reach the desired weight.

Wonderful advice as I am also trying to gain weight. Good luck ;)