Help! Carb and Protein Grams Per Day to Build Muscle- Women?

Options
I"m new to working out and I really need some help. I recently lost 31 lbs and am now at my goal weight (132 lbs). I'm 47 and 5'5.5" tall. I would like to know how many grams of protein per day and how many grams of carbs per day do I need to consume to build lean muscle (triceps, butt, etc). Do I need to up my caloric intake from 1300 calories per day? Here are my current, daily nutritional goals (I always go over in Sodium and sugar. I think those might be set to low?)
Calories: 1,300 Calories
Carbs: 163 grams
Fat: 29 grams
Protein: 98 grams
Sodium: 2,000 mg
Sugar: 25 grams

Thank you for your help!
Traci

Replies

• chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting to your goal weight! How are you planning on building the muscle, do you lift already or are you going to start now?

General consensus seems to be 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight so if you change your protein to 132g per day that might be a good place to start. I am trying to recomp at the moment so am eating a low carb diet at a slight deficit but sounds like you're trying to bulk so you'd need to up those calories (assuming 1300 is a deficit or maintenance consumption).

I'm sure everyone else will have a bit more of a comprehensive answer but hope that helped a little!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    100-130 grams of protein & a lot more than 1300 total calories, while following an established strength training program
  • TrayLo28451
    TrayLo28451 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. So 1500 cal? what about carb grams per day? Gosh, after losing all this weight i'm terrified to eat more! But i guess as long is it's the "right" stuff: chicken, seafood, turkey, etc. I should be okay as long as I keep up with the training?
    I'm looking to tone up in my triceps and butt and also some chest muscle work outs to lift the "girls". All over toning really. I "only" had to lose 30 lbs, so I don't have loose skin really. It's more like it's fat and no muscle if that makes sense. I seem to have lost my bum and that is my priority; gluts. Along with the bat wings (sigh). today my trainer had me do exercises with and without weights that targeted lower body for the most part. I forgot the names of the exercises. I will ask her. It was my first day. and she told me to take a BRISK walk for 30 min every morning (on non work out days i guess) before I eat or drink anything.
  • TrayLo28451
    Options
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The suggested general population intake level of protein is 0.8g/kg (both male and female) and everyone should be aiming for at least that. The highest recommended amount of protein for weight lifters is 2g/kg. So, somewhere between 48-120g of protein. 100g is probably sufficient. It also doesn't have to be 100 every day. 100 would probably be a good average to aim for. 90 one day, and 110 the next should be fine.

Fat should make up 20-35% of your calories, and carbs the rest. Of course, you can fluctuate the fat up/down as you see fit and the carbs would of course do the opposite of the fat.

You should be consuming TDEE + a small amount (say 125-250 calories for 0.25-0.5lb/week gain). It will probably be upwards of 1600 calories/day (BMR calculator says your BMR is 1200 calories).

Assuming 1700 calories/day that would be 400 calories from protein, maybe 510-595 calories from fat (30-35%), and 705-790 calories from carbs. That would be 100g protein, 56-66g fat, and 176-197g carbs. If you want lower/higher fat, then adjust accordingly.

Combine that with a strength training program like Strong Curves and you'll build muscle.

This information is based off of USDA dietary guidelines.
  • TrayLo28451
    Options
    Thanks! What is TDEE? and "+ a small amount" of what?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Thanks! What is TDEE? and "+ a small amount" of what?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (or Maintenance Calories) + additional calories.

So, if you require 1,800 calories to maintain your weight... eating at 2,000 for example.
  • TrayLo28451
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well done on getting to your goal weight! How are you planning on building the muscle, do you lift already or are you going to start now?

General consensus seems to be 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight so if you change your protein to 132g per day that might be a good place to start. I am trying to recomp at the moment so am eating a low carb diet at a slight deficit but sounds like you're trying to bulk so you'd need to up those calories (assuming 1300 is a deficit or maintenance consumption).

I'm sure everyone else will have a bit more of a comprehensive answer but hope that helped a little!

I'm leaning to what you're doing the more info I get (thanks Rybo!). So eating at maintenance to build muscle and lose fat at about the same pace. I think I'll try that...assuming that's what you mean? More calories on training days (defined as 30 minutes minimum of weights) and less calories on non-training days?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is not even close to maintenance for any woman I know. My wife is 5'2" and maintains on roughly 2200 - 2300 calories or so per day...you're going to have to eat a lot more than 1,300 calories to build muscle.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Basically, all of the calories you burn in an average day.

To calculate that, look at how many calories you were eating and how fast you were losing weight. If you ate 1300 calories/day and lost 0.5lb/week, then your TDEE would be (0.5*3500/7)+1300 = 1550. (I don't know your actual numbers, these are just an example).

"+ a small amount" = however many extra calories you want to eat. If your goal is to put on muscle (while lifting) you need to eat at a small surplus to fuel your body. I suggested from 125-250 calories per day over TDEE.

So, based on my example above you would be eating ~1675-1800 calories/day. Don't use my results though, you have to run your own numbers.
  • TrayLo28451
    Options
    Lots to think about for sure. Thanks everyone!