Does anyone have trouble eating 1200 cals a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hali4qa wrote: »
    That is because as I said I only resumed it few days ago. All the days with pizza and chocolate are few months back. I've got no idea how to look at people's food diaries at this site, or I would've found an example. First time actually using the site and not the app today. :-D

Anyway, days under 1000 prove my point: no hunger on those days, even though calorie intake is smaller than magical 1200.

Also, hunger is not an reliable indicator of whether you are eating enough. Calorie intake affects hormones which can affect hunger.

There are people who are literally starving themselves and feel no hunger while others who are obese can experience constant hunger.
  • hali4qa
    hali4qa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/hali4qa?date=2015-06-15 - around this period I got my normal days. Yeah, I cannot find one with the logged pizza, but I do remember once looking it up and realising it's about 300 calories for a piece. :-) Pizza days were big days.

Anyway, what were you trying to find in my food diary, again? I thought you just wanted to see how a person can eat under 1200 calories and be fine, what that intake looks like. You can see it perfectly clear there - full lunch and dinner, and snacks, and chocolate can compose a day under 1200. So I understand the topic starter, which was my original point.

Don't think I'm starving myself, I've been eating like this for years with occasional cake or pizza weeks that compensated whatever under eating there could've possibly been, and in the last 5 years or so I've only been gaining weight. No health problems, no nothing. It helps not living in USA and having a different food culture.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/hali4qa?date=2015-06-15 - around this period I got my normal days. Yeah, I cannot find one with the logged pizza, but I do remember once looking it up and realising it's about 300 calories for a piece. :-) Pizza days were big days.

Anyway, what were you trying to find in my food diary, again? I thought you just wanted to see how a person can eat under 1200 calories and be fine, what that intake looks like. You can see it perfectly clear there - full lunch and dinner, and snacks, and chocolate can compose a day under 1200. So I understand the topic starter, which was my original point.

Don't think I'm starving myself, I've been eating like this for years with occasional cake or pizza weeks that compensated whatever under eating there could've possibly been, and in the last 5 years or so I've only been gaining weight. No health problems, no nothing. It helps not living in USA and having a different food culture.

Uh, you said you ate pizza, pasta with cheese, cake and chocolate in teh same day and stayed under 1500 calories which I questioned. And I haven't seen yet (the day you linked is 800 calories).

You and I clearly have a different idea of what "fine" is regarding eating.

I'm also not in the USA.

ETA - and I also know for a fact the other poster who quoted and agreed with my questioning is not in the US either.
  • hali4qa
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Uh, you said you ate pizza, pasta with cheese, cake and chocolate in teh same day and stayed under 1500 calories which I questioned. And I haven't seen yet (the day you linked is 800 calories).
    Oh, I see where this is coming from! Sorry for misunderstanding. I did not mean that I ate all of that on the same day, that would be crazy. What I meant is I ate that stuff a lot as part of a lifestyle. It would be on different days, of course.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see where this is coming from! Sorry for misunderstanding. I did not mean that I ate all of that on the same day, that would be crazy. What I meant is I ate that stuff a lot as part of a lifestyle. It would be on different days, of course.

I thought you meant all in the same day as well

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

To be honest. I don't know how you're still standing eating such low amounts. ..

• hali4qa
    Options
    It doesn't feel low when there is lots of fiber and little physical activity. Or maybe I am just accustomed to that. I walk to work, sometimes go to ice skating, walk for couple hours on Saturdays, sometimes do weights for 10 minutes or so - all good, but on active days hunger does come, so I know physical activity makes a difference. :-)
  • noramachuca
    noramachuca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Before I started counting calories I was a big eater. I could eat big portions with no problem. But since I've been counting calories I feel like my stomach shrank and can't eat as much. Granted I am eating healthier more filling foods like pinto beans for example but I think it's important to stay away from junk food aka empty calories if you're having a hard time eating more. I do find that certain foods leave me hungry again faster and I eat more those days but like everyone else it's a learning process. I'm sure some of it is our tracking error but I'm sure we're all very capable of measuring how much food we're eating.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 1200 every day. But my appetite fixes that. Some days I'm less hungry, and some days more hungry. Last week I had a 700cal day. 2 days after that I had a 1600cal day. On autopilot.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't think it is a good idea to force yourself to eat when not hungry. There is no magic in the 1200 number. If you are full on less, then stop there. Most likely you will be hungrier in the next few days and feel like eating more. Nobody has the exact same appetite every day.

Appetite/ "fullness" can be a poor reflection of adequate nutrition. 1200 is based upon nutritional requirements. Less than adequate nutrition day in and day out is not healthy.

OP - are you meeting protein and fat goals? Often when people are too full to eat, their new diet includes lots of high volume / low calorie foods. These high volume / low calorie foods are filling and may provide micronutrients, but they don't provide fuel for basic bodily functions (heart, lungs, kidneys).
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're stomach has shrunk a bit since you have been watching your calories so your appetite is now not as ravenous. The problem is that eating such low calories is not sustainable and takes a huge amount of discipline (even though you seem to be doing it with ease currently) which will likely result in overeating/binging etc somewhere down the line. Ideally you want to be eating a satisfying/balanced diet as close to your TDEE with enough deficit to still be loosing weight on a weekly basis.
  • BuckwheatsMomma
    BuckwheatsMomma Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all. Although I am just returning I appreciate reading your replies.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I struggle in heat (UK has been having a heatwave)
    I was starting to feel sick during meals so my intake was slipping to under 1000....... So I added in some ice cream to get my calories up

Halo top in salted caramel is 360 calories for the pint and I just grab a few spoons when I feel like it aiming to eat it all on a low calorie day
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I get full relatively quickly and intensely dislike the overstuffed feeling from overindulging these days, but I never have trouble getting at least 1200 calories. Ever. Even if I could fool myself into thinking I was full on a few spinach leaves, some chicken breast, and a crouton one day, by the next morning I'd be a cranky hungry mess.

Look into calorie dense foods if you're really having trouble - peanut butter, nuts, cheese, full fat dairy, butter or oil, no diet/light versions of anything. Your body will thank you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I started measuring my calorie intake, I discovered that I mostly eat under 1500 a day (usually under 1300) - that was with cakes and chocolate, spaghetti with cheese, pizza and all that. The thing is I usually skip breakfast, and only eat lunch and dinner + snacks. I do not feel hungry. When I cut on sweets and pizza, it became reasonable hard to eat enough to get into 1200 calories - and I still don't feel hungry unless I'm forced to delay my lunch or dinner few hours. I am shirt, only slightly overweight with BMI 25.5, and I'm not too muscular, so I don't need that much energy I guess.
    I've spent last few days on 800-900 calories a day as an experiment - still feeling okay, the only cravings I get are psychological. I know it's unhealthy, but wtf body, where is your survival instinct?! Very frustrating.

The problem is the less you eat, the harder it is to get all the micro nutrients your body needs, so if you are eating under 1200 calories, make sure you eat from all main food groups, and that you get all the variety you need!
    Weights training also helps: the more muscles you have, the more energy your body needs to maintain it.

Sorry I’m not following. What’s the point of the experiment you’re doing where you are eating under the minimum calories even with an active lifestyle? What are you hoping to prove with this?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I struggle in heat (UK has been having a heatwave)
    I was starting to feel sick during meals so my intake was slipping to under 1000....... So I added in some ice cream to get my calories up

Halo top in salted caramel is 360 calories for the pint and I just grab a few spoons when I feel like it aiming to eat it all on a low calorie day

If you’re struggling to get enough calories into your body, why on earth would you choose low-calorie ice cream? Wouldn’t Ben & Jerry’s be a quicker solution?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have the same problem. When I started measuring my calorie intake, I discovered that I mostly eat under 1500 a day (usually under 1300) - that was with cakes and chocolate, spaghetti with cheese, pizza and all that. The thing is I usually skip breakfast, and only eat lunch and dinner + snacks. I do not feel hungry. When I cut on sweets and pizza, it became reasonable hard to eat enough to get into 1200 calories - and I still don't feel hungry unless I'm forced to delay my lunch or dinner few hours. I am shirt, only slightly overweight with BMI 25.5, and I'm not too muscular, so I don't need that much energy I guess.
    I've spent last few days on 800-900 calories a day as an experiment - still feeling okay, the only cravings I get are psychological. I know it's unhealthy, but wtf body, where is your survival instinct?! Very frustrating.

The problem is the less you eat, the harder it is to get all the micro nutrients your body needs, so if you are eating under 1200 calories, make sure you eat from all main food groups, and that you get all the variety you need!
    Weights training also helps: the more muscles you have, the more energy your body needs to maintain it.

Sorry I’m not following. What’s the point of the experiment you’re doing where you are eating under the minimum calories even with an active lifestyle? What are you hoping to prove with this?

Her post was from 3 years ago and she hasn't logged in here in over a year, so it'll probably remain an unsolved mystery. :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Her post was from 3 years ago and she hasn't logged in here in over a year, so it'll probably remain an unsolved mystery. :D

Damn zombie thread!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Damn zombie thread!

But at least it's a zombie brought back by the OP!