Elliptical vs. Treadmill

Options
Hi all,

I was hoping someone would be able to answer my question -- I just joined and I'm finally getting serious about this.

When I'm at the gym doing cardio, I use the elliptical machine, because running on the treadmill seemed very daunting for some reason. However, someone mentioned to me last night that he didn't believe Elliptical machines were as effective as Treadmills.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there a difference in the effectiveness of Ellipticals and Treadmills? And if so, any tips for making the big switch over?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• gagirl89
    gagirl89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ellipticals are low impact on joints. I have problems with my knees. so i use an elliptical. I love mine. Its the tony little's gazelle. Its almost like you're skiing when you're on it. I burn calories without putting a ton of pressure on my knees. Do which ever one you feel comfortable on.
  • GrowOrDie
    GrowOrDie Posts: 42
    Options
    bump! Im interested in everyones opinion on this.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I also use the elliptical because I have knee issues. I wouldn't have considered it a less effective workout - you can increase resistance and you're using your arms as well.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I find that my calorie burn is lower on the ellipitical, and I can spend more time on it than I can running. However, like the previous poster, I have serious problems wth my knees so I can't run like I used to anymore, so I stick with the ellipitical. If you can, try incorporating both into a weekly routine to get the benefits of both!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    you burn more and train more on the treadmill as you're literally having to lift your weight on your own when you run.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I do both elliptical and jog on treadmill. They are both effective. As long as you get your heart rate up any exercise will burn calories. The difference is that the ellipitical is easier on the body because it's lower impact on your joints which is better in the long run (no pun intended). So I would just stick with whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • chrissy7272
    Options
    I like everyone else have knee issues and find the treadmill too harsh on them. I like the eliptical much better, its more comfortable on my knees and I really like how you can change direction on it whenever you feel like it. To me its much more effective.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble getting my heart rate up to 140-160 on the elliptical, so I usually burn about 400 calories in 45 minutes (according to my HRM). For me that's a worthwhile workout.
  • psychocrusher
    psychocrusher Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the impact benefit using the elliptical trainer. The other thing I find is the varied exercises you can do rather than just walking or running. And then there is also the reverse activity that utlisies a completely different set of muscles.

the other aspect of the ellipical trainer is that find I can go a lot longer on the elliptical trainer rather than the treadmill, and I believe it has been proven that the caloric consumption is pretty similar between the two machines, meaning I can burn calories longer on the elliptical.

My choice is the elliptical every time..!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds while using the elliptical almost exclusively for cardio. Like you, I was intimidated by the treadmill; I thought walking couldn't get my heart rate up enough and I wasn't ready to run. Eventually, I started doing a few minutes of walking/jogging on the treadmill after my elliptical workout and am now able to jog/run for over 30 minutes (as long as my hip doesn't start hurting). It feels like a better workout to me, but variety is important, so I alternate. I'm still working up the nerve to use the stupid stair-stepper machine and the rower to add even more variety... Good luck!
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am a goof on the treadmill, i feel like i am going to fall off and dont even think to ask me to run on that thing. BUT i LOVE i mean L-O-V-E the ellitical. AND because i cant run on the treadmill i burn WAY more calories on the elliptical....
  • bamarob
    bamarob Posts: 1
    Options
    I have found that you burn more calories on a treadmill vs Elliptical for the same time. Now I have done no study mind you. I have been doing this for some years.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You can work just as hard on an elliptical as you can on a treadmill. Just monitor your heart rate periodically to be sure you're working hard. Your perceived exertion is often less on the elliptical than the treadmill though, even though it's a very effective cardio workout.

The big benefit of the elliptical is that it is MUCH easier on your joints than running(on a treadmill or outdoors) so it's a great cardio exercise for runners on their days off from running.
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both, i'm not a good runner/jogger and i now have a knee issue, but i am training for a 5K race for Life in July so i need to get better to do a good time. So i do C25K (couch to 5K program) and it's working great so far. I also use the elliptical trainer as i have one at home and i use it after i do my 30 minutes on the treadmil and i burned roughly half the calories on the elliptical in 10 minutes than i did doing 30-35 minutes on the treadmil!

Good luck!!

PS as someone said you can up the resistence and use your arms so it is all round a good cardio workout if you push yourself!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    As Hemlock2010 has pointed out, your heart rate is the bottom line. I find elliptical easier on my legs, but as exercises go, being in your target zone tells the tale. Most modern equipment have heart rate display and personal monitors are useful for tracking over time. Being at your target zone for a determined time can be achieved on just about any cardio machine available. Variety can help head of boredom though.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    For doing high intensity cardio on a machine - you can't beat the elliptical. I would say sprinting on the treadmill is almost impossible and unsafe, unlike the elliptical where you can go totally crazy by increasing resistance and incline combined with speed for maximum calorie burn.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do both; 40 minutes on the elliptical, and 40 on the treadmill daily. BUT I feel like I get a better workout using an elliptical, because I increase the resistance to work my arms as well. I don't do a lot of strength training, so I consider this as most of my "arms" workout. I am definitely much sweatier when I get off of that machine than a treadmill. On an elliptical, I feel as if I work my back as well due to the twisting motion of your opposite arm/leg moving together.

BUT

If your treadmill has incline capability, you can get a helluva workout from it. Hills=resistance=calories burned.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on you. i prefer the elliptical b/c I have a bad knee, but some like the treadmill b/c it's more like running...up to you though :)
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on you. i prefer the elliptical b/c I have a bad knee, but some like the treadmill b/c it's more like running...up to you though :)
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    how many calories you burn depends on your speed, intensity, level, and program on the elliptical. i love the elliptical and in the past have used it a lot. but i did the interval or cross training program on it and did it at a min of level 8....and if it has a heart rate monitor i'd check it every 5 minutes to see if it was in the 150-170 range that i was going for.

don't switch to the treadmill dead out, maybe start out by doing a couple work outs walking on the treadmill and a couple run-walks. when you feel comfortable running on it, then you could start. but be warned---i am a really slow runner, like 10 min. miles and i burn more calories on the elliptical exerting 100% than i do on the treadmill.