does dizziness= low blood sugar

Options
_Jessica_
_Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
I have cut out almost all sugar out of my diet other then good sugar like milk and anything in natural food. Since doing this I have noticed that i get dizzy a lot more then I used to. Any time I get up from sitting, or if I squat down to look at something on the bottom shelf at the store (even if for only seconds) and I stand up, I get dizzy and my vission gets wierd like im gonna pass out. I guess I am wondering if maybe I am letting my blood sugar get to low with cutting out the sugar in my diet even though I am not diebetic... any idea's??

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I get this when my blood pressure is too low. I asked my doctor, and he said a few times a day isn't that abnormal I just had to learn to stand up slower. Which worked by the way, I stand slower and almost never get dizzy. If it's literally every single time you stand up though you should probably talk a doctor and make sure there's not a bigger problem.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar is more likely to happen when you eat too much sugar rather than too little. It's the peaks and valleys of a high sugar diet that often cause the low blood sugar dizziness. If you eat lots of tropical fruits you may be surprised just how much sugar you are still eating, though. I've gone low carb, eating almost no sugar at all and have quit having low blood sugar problems altogether.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have cut out almost all sugar out of my diet other then good sugar like milk and anything in natural food. Since doing this I have noticed that i get dizzy a lot more then I used to. Any time I get up from sitting, or if I squat down to look at something on the bottom shelf at the store (even if for only seconds) and I stand up, I get dizzy and my vission gets wierd like im gonna pass out. I guess I am wondering if maybe I am letting my blood sugar get to low with cutting out the sugar in my diet even though I am not diebetic... any idea's??

While low blood sugar can cause dizziness, I don't think that's what is happening here. Sounds like low blood pressure.

As someone else said, rising more slowly can help with this.

If you take any medication for high blood pressure and have lost weight, you may need to have that medication re-evaluated. You may need a lower dose now or not need it at all, but your doctor should make that decision after examining you.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was having the same thing. If you cut back on your carbs, especially breads and rice you don't get the high peaks in blood sugar and then crash. For me carbs from fruits don't bother me like anyting with white flour. Also eat protein at each meal as it will stabilize blood sugar.
  • rfritzson
    rfritzson Posts: 1
    Options
    As others have said, this is much more likely to be low blood pressure than low blood sugar, especially if you have increased your exercise regimen recently. However, if it is making you uncomfortable, you could check with your doctor or start monitoring your blood pressure.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot too! I believe it's a combination of low blood sugar, as well as low blood pressure, for me.

I did notice that eating regularly (every 3 hrs) has helped balance out my blood sugar and prevent this from happening. Try eating even a small snack containing fibre and protein every 3 hours, and you should notice the frequency of this happening declining....in addition to getting up slower ;-).

The feeling of it happening is so weird though- it feels like my head is being squeezed and everything starts to go black in the extreme cases, and then comes back in what I can only describe as "pixels". So just slow down, take a breath, and wait for teh feeling to pass....but balance your blood sugar to prevent.
  • nymamiyankee
    Options
    im a type 1 diabetic..and when my sugar gets low, i feel confusion, im very weak....sometimes if it drops too low i cant even move from the spot im in and i always need to eat something QUICKLY...i dont think what you're describing is low sugar, but im not a doctor and it continues, you may want to just run this by your own doctor...better safe than sorry
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    Just had my bloodpressure checked at work... 122/80... hmmm
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on what we're describing: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your blood pressure is pretty much text book! Although it may be to do with changes when you change position (postural hypotension).
    It may be worth running it by your doctor as it could be something underlying such as low iron levels?
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? Could be dehydration as well... could be low BP associated with dehydration too
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? Could be dehydration as well... could be low BP associated with dehydration too

When I've had this before, better hydraation has often fixed the problem. But like everyone else said. Discuss it with a Doc. We're not real Doctors/Nutritionists/Personal Trainers....we just play them in the internet.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The feeling of it happening is so weird though- it feels like my head is being squeezed and everything starts to go black in the extreme cases, and then comes back in what I can only describe as "pixels". So just slow down, take a breath, and wait for teh feeling to pass....but balance your blood sugar to prevent.

I have this same issue as well and have never really been able to explain the sensation / feeling but you paint a great picture of what it feels like.
    My doc suggested adding more sodium and caffeine to my diet. Can't say I've noticed a big improvement though. Good luck with it!!! Standing up more slowly is a must so that you can anticipate the lightheadedness and overcome it before you start walking.

Oddly enough, for me, adding more caffeine only makes mine worse.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Oh yea- increasing caffeine and sodium definitely helped me. I love my salt :-). I know it's 'bad' for you but man.... can't eat without it!
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia and when my blood sugar gets low, i will feel dizzy and faint, but also nauseous and shaky. i feel weak and can definitely tell i need to eat something. sometimes i get headaches too...not sure if everyone with low blood sugar has those same symptoms, but that's what it's like for me. maybe that will help. :)
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    silveryflutterby those are the same symptoms that I have when my blood sugar drops. To the OP, I'd talk to your doctor. Since you're mentioning it happens when you move it sounds more like dehydration or low blood pressure but they can tell help you more than we can. What alot of people on here are referring to when they say eating too much sugar is called reactive hypoglycemia. It's when you eat too much sugar and your blood sugar level spikes and then crashes. Typically it happens rather suddenly and it's scary. The first time I experienced it I was 14. I've had to learn to watch my sugars especially at night. Nothing worse than waking up at 2 am with the room spinning (trust me, worse than regular bed spins from too much alcohol) I keep OJ in the house. A glass of that helps to bring my sugars back up to a reasonable level so I'm not so dizzy but I still feel miserable for most of the day. The nutritionist told me to try to eat protein whenever I have something high in sugar (for that matter high in carbohydrates) That has helped immensely. Good luck OP!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Oh yea- increasing caffeine and sodium definitely helped me. I love my salt :-). I know it's 'bad' for you but man.... can't eat without it!

Caffeine gave me the opposite effect. I was extra dizzy while consuming caffeine, and now that I avoid it, I am still dizzy, but far less so. My culprit is low blood pressure. It used to be low BP and dehydration, but since that diagnosis (yes, I went to the doctor for it!) I have upped the amount of water I drink from 2 glasses a day to nearly 12.
  • _Jessica_
    Options
    I do drink my fluids... I drink between 32 and 64 onces of water a day and then i aso drink 16 onces of milk. I don't drink caffine. And I watch my sodium intake... so with that said, I am going to the doc tomarrow for a check up and Im going to bring it up with him... its just strange that its happening now after loosing weight... wierd.

thanks all for the input!

~Jessica
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    ..............uh, any chance you could be pregnant?

Also, are you eating enough? Sometimes underfeeding causes dizziness.
  • EvictingTheMassInMyAss
    Options
    :smokin: FYI.... you can develop Exercise Induced Reactive Hypoglycemia.....:heart::heart: :heart:
    Your muscles store a form of glucose known as glycogen. During physical activity, your muscles draw on these stores for energy. When you stop exercising, your body sends glucose from your bloodstream into the muscles to replenish their supply. This lowers blood sugar levels. The more intense the exercise, the longer blood sugar levels become affected.
    Skeletal muscle is responsible for nearly 90% of the entire body’s glucose uptake and disposal and athletes have a greater ratio of lean skeletal muscle to total body weight than most non-athletes. Furthermore, athletes also have a much more enhanced and sensitive glucose handling and uptake mechanisms than non-athletes. Thus, it is not surprising to observe periodic cases of exaggerated decreases in blood glucose in athletes in conjunction with exercising muscles.

:sick: Symptoms of hypoglycemia:
    headache, excessive sweating, blurred vision, dizziness, lack of coordination/imbalance, anxiety, mental confusion, heart palpitations, slurred speech, fatigue, and more seriously, seizures or coma. People who exercise in the mornings without eating anything or not much at all are at high risk of developing hypoglycemia.

:glasses: Suggestions:
    Prior to exercise, eating either a small meal or a hearty snack containing lean protein, a small amount of healthy fat, and complex carbohydrates can help prevent hypoglycemia.
    Don't drink sugar-based drinks or eat anything sugary a couple of hours before exercising. Instead, have whole grains and protein.
    Sports drinks during exercise or training that will last longer than 20 minutes will keep blood glucose readings maintained instead of dipping in concentration.
    If you haven't eaten within four hours of the exercise or training, do not train.
    Reactive hypoglycemia can be the result of over training as well, so keep it in moderation.
    Do not exercise or train within 48 hours of a hypoglycemia flare-up.
    Late night exercising drops blood sugar more than early morning or afternoon, according to one study, so keep in mind when you are going to train.

:noway: :explode: **~**NOTE: It is important to treat hypoglycemia immediately, by consuming food high in carbohydrates/sugar such as orange juice or bread.**~**:explode: :noway: