38 and need a swift kick in the butt

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the community and in search of support. I'm 38 years old and have struggled with weight for a little over 10 years now. I was never overweight as a child or teen. I have tried many horrible, unhealthy diets in hopes that they are the magic needed to stop the vicious circle. The only thing they have done is mess with my metabolism, encourage additional weight gain and in turn, increased my anxiety in general. Recently, I was told that I cannot have children. I was shocked and devastated. After many hospital visits and tests (some quite painful), I was told that I was a candidate for IVF and I was thrilled and encouraged. Unfortunately, when I went to sign the paperwork to get the process started, the fertility clinic turned me away because of my weight. Instead of losing the weight (20lbs) that I needed to, I spiraled out of control and gained 50 lbs. I suspect that I may have BED but have not actually spoken with a professional yet (likely to happen in upcoming weeks). If you struggle in a similar way and would like a buddy system, I'd be happy to lend the support. After all, doesn't it always seem easier to help someone else rather than help yourself? Ugh.

In order to get back to the fertility clinic, I have to lose 50lbs but that brings me to 200lbs and it is still an unhealthy weight. I need to learn how to make a lifestyle change and take baby steps. I need small victories.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Instead of a swift kick in the butt, you need to learn to love yourself and treat yourself the way you deserve to be treated.
    You deserve to be healthy and have a family.
    You deserve all the best life has to offer.
    Now is the time to take care of yourself as you will someday take care of the little one you will surely have!
  • jb_interiors
    jb_interiors Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom and certainly hit home. Thank you for stopping by. I really appreciate it.
  • Strive2BMe
    Strive2BMe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love what healthygreek said. Could t have said it better myself! As for support, I'm on here daily and need active supportive friends as well. I'll add you! Good luck!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm here daily as well. After losing all and gaining it all back last year, I'm in it for life. You can lose your 50# this year. And some. Read the success stories folder and friend me if you'd like.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, you need to have confidence within you. No matter how old are you if you have good determination then you can make it possible. I will advise you to do regular exercises and take proper healthy foods with less calorie and you can take pills available for obesity.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    BettyBoles wrote: »
    For losing weight, you need to have confidence within you. No matter how old are you if you have good determination then you can make it possible. I will advise you to do regular exercises and take proper healthy foods with less calorie and you can take pills available for obesity.

No on the pills!
  • jb_interiors
    Options
    Agreed. Will not be taking any form of pills for weight loss but thank you for your support.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You wrote that you need "small victories". Mine are staying in my calorie goal daily. My next is sticking to my exercise plan. My last is losing weight as, having been on a plateau recently for a few weeks, I was still getting stronger and more in shape. My clothes were looser too. So, I weighed myself, but didn't get discouraged when nothing happened.

Slow and steady "wins" this race. But, it isn't s race as there isn't an end. Once you have your kids, you'll need to still eat well and have good portion size. Even pregnant, you'll need to eat smart food choices.
  • jb_interiors
    Options
    My mini victory yesterday was eating an apple instead of the bag of chips in my pantry. Baby steps.
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Every step of the journey is important, even the little ones. If you don't take that step, you can't take the next.
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My mini victory yesterday was eating an apple instead of the bag of chips in my pantry. Baby steps.
    You did great. I feel like the little steps of bad habits got us here. So why not the little good steps. Yesterday my office has food in a meeting I only ate the fruits. I am so proud of myself. I felt so good. I know it was small.