FREAKING VACATION WILL RUIN MY DIET! HELP!

Options
I will be going to Thailand in a few days and I'm super concerned with my diet. I have already been putting a few pounds recently and do not wish to continue along the trend. Any useful tips or reminders?

P.S I cannot bare to imagine how much calories I will be consuming in night markets and shopping malls

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's only going to 'ruin it' if you let it... it's under your control.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to be forced to eat in night markets or shopping malls (unless Thailand is a lot rougher than I thought it was). And if you choose to eat, you will be able to decide what you want to eat.
  • jenniecampbell1
    jenniecampbell1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation too in a few weeks. I always make sure I have some form of healthy snack with me or in my hotel room. If you go out always try to pick the healthiest thing, normally everyone has atleast one good item on their menu. And if its huge servings, just eat half, push the other half away and don't think about it. I'm sure you'll be able to find fruits and veggies.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can find some healthy foods too
    and don't forget, many times we are more active on vacation.
    don't panic. I mostly try to eat at maintenance levels when I go on vacation.
  • MABSCALL911
    MABSCALL911 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too leave August 31st for an amazing 3 month trip with land and cruise plans from my home in Tampa to Alaska, Canada, Hawaii, Tihiti, Figi ,Australia and New Zealand. I have been dieting and working out since mid March this year to be able to make this trip without my electric scooter. I have achieved being able to walk again (after 7 years of being chained to my electric scooter for mobility) with a cane or walker and lost 64 pounds but now this vacation. I know I can find healthy things to eat but I am afraid I will not get to the gym enough or those cruise ship buffets will tempt me. I plan on losing 15 pounds during the 3 month trip so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Worst case scenario: You put on a few pounds. You can lose them! :)

But you don't have to eat like mad if you don't want to do that. It's our choice. So, make your choice and then be happy with it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    even cruise buffets have healthy options.
    I would just enjoy myself, eat moderately, and then deal with the consequences
    be active. to the best of your ability. exercise comes in many forms. dancing, walking the deck, swimming, tours.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm on day 12 of my vacation ..I'm logging but estimating a fair bit ....I reckon I'm around 500 over maintenance per day although my weekly reports show around 3300 calories over maintenance across the 12 days

So I'm ready to weigh the day after I return and expect a big movement up..then a week after and expect anywhere up to 4lbs so that will take 4-8 weeks to get rid of

Meh

It's life
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I too leave August 31st for an amazing 3 month trip with land and cruise plans from my home in Tampa to Alaska, Canada, Hawaii, Tihiti, Figi ,Australia and New Zealand. I have been dieting and working out since mid March this year to be able to make this trip without my electric scooter. I have achieved being able to walk again (after 7 years of being chained to my electric scooter for mobility) with a cane or walker and lost 64 pounds but now this vacation. I know I can find healthy things to eat but I am afraid I will not get to the gym enough or those cruise ship buffets will tempt me. I plan on losing 15 pounds during the 3 month trip so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Cruises can be tough.

1) Don't eat at the buffet if at all possible. Go to the dining room and sit. The portion sizes on most cruise ships are fairly appropriate nowadays because of the rising cost of food.

2) ^this is particularly true at breakfast. The tendency of most people is to go to the buffet and eat a big plate of eggs, bacon, and sausage, maybe with a side of French toast or pancakes. This is boring, normal American food that isn't special. Don't waste your calories on mediocre food that you can get anywhere.

3) Ask your server not to offer you bread/rolls at dinner. Most lines don't have spectacular bread anyways, so you won't miss much.

4) If you order something, and it isn't really, really good, don't eat it! Again, there is plenty of food available, so don't waste your calories on mediocre food.

5) Split appetizers and desserts with your table mate.

6) Don't be afraid to ask your server for special accommodations. You can have the sauce left off a steak, or sub veggies for the potato. Make sure you understand how a dish is prepared when you order it. Did they sneak butter on your steak?

7) Sea days are for exercising! If you can manage it, walk around the upper decks and enjoy the sea views.

8) Careful around the snack stands/cafe areas. The pizza/sandwiches/burgers/ice cream can be tempting. Most lines have fruit somewhere close by, so look for that.

• bfmcrys
    bfmcrys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try to fit some exercise in every day, even if it is just squats and push ups.
  • lord_emperor
    lord_emperor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's a vacation, you're supposed to enjoy it. I went to Mexico for a week last year and ate+drank like Jabba the Hutt every day. Gained 2lbs, continued my progress as normal afterward.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's a vacation, you're supposed to enjoy it. I went to Mexico for a week last year and ate+drank like Jabba the Hutt every day. Gained 2lbs, continued my progress as normal afterward.

^^^This^^^

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Yep - my husband and I went to New Orleans for our honeymoon JUST so we could eat and drink and we sure did. Gained 2 lbs and got back to my normal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i've never gained any weight beyond airplane bloat while on vacation...chill the feck out and enjoy your trip to Thailand...or I could possibly take your place if you're really that concerned...I'd have a good time.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You stay and I'll go in your place.

Problem solved. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Shoot. The wolfman beat me to it!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but when I was there i remember fresh seafood was served everywhere. It's not that hard to eat healthy in Thailand if you try.

Eat some of what looks good, but not everything that looks good. Enjoy yourself and have a treat here or there, just don't go crazy. And if you do...just get back on track when you return.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Yup - just came off two back to back vacations this summer (we never go on vacation) and pretty much stayed at my weight. Got back on track afterwards and back to normal.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you make sure your excursions involve more than just sitting on a beach, you should be fine. Both times I went on a cruise I ate what I wanted, did the excursions I wanted to do, and came home to the same weight. For the second cruise, the one we just went on a couple months ago, I did a basic calorie counting (what I could do since no internet bluargh), and found that for the most part, I was fine. The days I went over were usually because I had dessert at dinner. But it was chocolate melting cake, so screw it, I wanted to enjoy my vacation! If you spend your entire time worrying about your calories, you won't have fun. Just do your best to eat in moderation, if you have choices for food try to pick healthier options, and do laps around the ship on sea days. Enjoy yourself, that's what vacations are for!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 pounds in my vacation because I gave up with the headache of finding places that had healthy options after a few days... so I just picked what seemed the best option (unless I really wanted something specific, obviously).

So it's my advice... if you're not specifically craving something, just try to find what's the 'less bad' option on the menu. But I have no idea how they eat in Thailand, and I'm assuming it will be healthier than here anyway.