Anyone finding their 2nd year of maintaining harder than the original?

Options
Spiderkeys
Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
edited August 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm wondering, I'm well into my second year of maintaining, and the year before I know I did a great job, and even lost some more weight I didn't think I could lose.

I've learnt the second year, things don't get any easier, still get those urges of feeling like eating everything in sight, etc. And almost everyday I find myself going over in the red on an average of 200-500 calories everyday, I learnt to like new foods, but now I think I eat too much of them, but some days I do keep at my limit, but wow it makes me feel hungry it I do.

I had a slight weight gains this year, but then I look at it, your weight should be where your most comfortable of eating your amount.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I can't say that, I'm finding it getting easier ..sorry! As long as I keep consistent with my exercise, which I do, I know I don't have to worry about my weight.

You have a goal range of +/- say 5lbs? if so don't worry when scale goes up and down, just take action when you're at that upper limit...it really depends on how much you enjoy being slimmer, for me nothing beats being slim and I'll do what it takes to stay this way.

Hopefully you start finding things easier soon :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're hungry because you're not eating enough protein. If I ate so little protein, I'd be starving, and I'm a 37yo woman.

But I get bored with the same foods too, so I'm constantly looking for recipes, asking myself what I would really like to eat, and trying to find a way to make it lower calories so it fits in my diary. I'm much less likely to eat too many sweets if I have satisfying meals.

But I've only maintained for a year so far (been on MFP 2.5 years) so let me get back to you in a year, lol.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second year of maintenance. I weigh daily and use a free website called Trendweight.com to see a moving average of my weight without the "noise" of water weight. It syncs with Fitbit & Withings, but there are other websites & apps that do the same thing.

Like @RunRutheeRun recommends above, Trendweight gives you a goal range rather than a specific weight. It's made my maintenance easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I've been toying with the idea of not logging every day, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    I'm wondering, I'm well into my second year of maintaining, and the year before I know I did a great job, and even lost some more weight I didn't think I could lose.

I've learnt the second year, things don't get any easier, still get those urges of feeling like eating everything in sight, etc. And almost everyday I find myself going over in the red on an average of 200-500 calories everyday, I learnt to like new foods, but now I think I eat too much of them, but some days I do keep at my limit, but wow it makes me feel hungry it I do.

I had a slight weight gains this year, but then I look at it, your weight should be where your most comfortable of eating your amount.

hmmmm ... I just celebrated my 2 yr maint anniversary with zero gain :) & found the second year is not really harder per say, but definitely poses a whole new set of different challenges.

Some things did get easier ie. regularly exercising, weighing my food, given the option choosing healthy over junk.

Some things still resurfaces ie. snacking after dinner even though I'm not hungry, or polishing off kids' plates because 'it's such a waste of food'

I think simply being aware of my stumbling blocks helps me to employ strategies to overcome or in some cases bypass them entirely. After dinner I immediately wash my plate and put left overs away and leave the kitchen. I have my kids clear their own plates. It may seem silly but little things adds up.

Nutrition wise, in maint I think macro nutrient plays a much bigger role than in losing phase. If you are constantly hungry I wonder if you are eating enough or eating enough of the right stuff. For example my current fitness goal is muscle definition so I reduced my cardio & increased the strength training. That first 2-3 weeks I was almost always miserably hungry and I couldn't figure out why. I did a bit of research & bumped up proteins & high fiber veggies, reduced fat & kept carbs the same. Then just like that VALAH! I was back to being satisfied again. That was my body telling me 'hey lady you want me to build muscle but you're not giving me the fuel to do it.'

So maybe look at what your fitness goals are, how they are different from yr 1, and adjust your macros with the type of food you're eating & not just more of it which best compliments it.

Best of luck to you!
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes - definitely. I am up 7 pounds from where I said I wanted to maintain. My problem seems to be more mental. I've done the hard work and since I wasn't actively trying to lose weight I slipped back in to my bad habits. I've changed my goal from maintain to lose.5 pounds per week til I get back to where I want to be. And for me it is more about the way my clothes fit than the number on the scale. Now I just have to remember the good habits that got me to that goal in the first place!
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining a 20+(depending on the day :) weight loss for almost 4 years. I don't know that it ever gets easy, but I think the more you strive to find ways to be healthier it makes it easier to maintain. I'm always looking for new recipes and trying to develop/maintain good habits like taking my lunch bringing more snacks with me and continuing to drink water and make good choices. Every once in a while I almost have to do a reset where I am almost in weight loss mode again. That usually gets me back on track. Good luck and just keep hanging in there.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am almost 3 years maintaining....and no, this gets easier and easier.
    I no longer even log manually.

If you feel yourself sliding back, buck up, lose whatever you gained and start with the basics.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    a mixture of both. slacking the reins is a slippery slope. tbh, I've found chasing those last 5 pounds keeps my head in the game, motivated and focused. i think i shall always keep another 5 pounds just out of reach. it doesn't make me feel unaccomplished or failing, rather, just another goal and if i hold steady at my current weight, well that'll work too. :) good luck finding your balance.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I just hit 1 year. Haven't really had any issues. I continue to log daily just like I did when I was losing. Maybe you should focus on finding foods that make you feel fuller. I did this my last 6 months to a year of losing and it's helped a lot in maintenance. I still get hungry sometimes but it's manageable.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Has anything changed in your life? I maintained for years, until I broke my leg. Then I gained 4 pounds in a month. Now I've lost that, and I'm back to maintaining.

I have the most boring diary in the world, because I eat a lot of the same foods every day. I suppose that variety would be healthier, but I find that familiarity helps me stick to my plan.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't find it harder hitting goals or logging and I am not hungry. But Year 2 I lost weight without expecting it and had to up my calories. This year I'm at the top of my goal zone, despite always being under calories every week. I think my carbs have drifted higher and I need to up my protein a bit.
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Could it be that u r getting cravings because ur body is yearning for food to put u back to ur 'happy weight' since u lost more weight after reaching ur maintainance?
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can understand it is hard for a man to maintain on only 1900 ... Even for a lady actually. Don't you fancy working out a bit to increase that amount of calories ? I'm two years into maintenance myself too. No weight gain the first year. Then stress at work, etc, and while i kept working out (cardio + strength training), i overate consistently and put on 5 pounds in 6 months. No big deal, i'll eventually lose those
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your goal is 1900 calories, and so little fat - no wonder you are hungry, and no wonder you often go over. Maybe setting a more realistic goal will help you to follow your plan?

I've looked at your diary for the last year, and I can see why you struggle: Half a pound of chocolate, and cake, popcorn or ice cream every day is not part of a sustainable plan unless you are an athlete of olympic dimensions, and even then it wouldn't be recommended. Dog walking and volunteering are not olympic disciplines, sorry.

You can do this. Start by recalculating your calorie needs. Calculate your macro needs too. Aim to hit protein and fat goals. Eat a varied diet of real food for 80% of your calories. Then you can supply with treats. Not before your needs are met. After.

Edit: I just found out that "Light and Creamy Classic Chocolate" is ice cream, not chocolate, but the same applies. Those who eat ice cream or chocolate every day, eat like two tbs or one square.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Your goal is 1900 calories, and so little fat - no wonder you are hungry, and no wonder you often go over. Maybe setting a more realistic goal will help you to follow your plan?

I've looked at your diary for the last year, and I can see why you struggle: Half a pound of chocolate, and cake, popcorn or ice cream every day is not part of a sustainable plan unless you are an athlete of olympic dimensions, and even then it wouldn't be recommended. Dog walking and volunteering are not olympic disciplines, sorry.

You can do this. Start by recalculating your calorie needs. Calculate your macro needs too. Aim to hit protein and fat goals. Eat a varied diet of real food for 80% of your calories. Then you can supply with treats. Not before your needs are met. After.

I just want to disagree with the bold part. Those things are part of my daily diet and I am definitely not an olympic athlete. There is nothing wrong with having those in your diet if you get plent of micronutrients and your macros in your other food.

That said, those food are high calorie for low volume. If you are struggling with hunger, it might be wise to replace some of those calories with some foods that are high volume low calorie to give you a more full feeling.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Funny enough, popcorn, ice cream, and the occasional slice of cake is a part of my "new foods", it's much better than my old diet with 10+ sausages a day, including 10 pieces of bread, and cheese, it turns out to be much less calories than my "old" meals.

I live on a budget, it's be nice to eat a footlong subway everyday, but they are nearly 1000+ calories, anyway those foods help me lose nearly 132 pounds, an everyday dog-walk at least beats lying in bed all day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »

Funny enough, popcorn, ice cream, and the occasional slice of cake is a part of my "new foods", it's much better than my old diet with 10+ sausages a day, including 10 pieces of bread, and cheese, it turns out to be much less calories than my "old" meals.

I live on a budget, it's be nice to eat a footlong subway everyday, but they are nearly 1000+ calories, anyway those foods help me lose nearly 132 pounds, an everyday dog-walk at least beats lying in bed all day.

Glad to hear that! All improvement is good! I have eaten poorly for a long time too, and was very very hungry. I just didn't make the connection - after all, I was fat, how can I be undernourished! I have found that the better I eat, the less I need, I pay less, I am happy and full too, and can maintain a normal weight without difficulties. This is the elusive "health" thing that we read about. Doesn't make much sense until we really feel it in our own bodies and minds.
  • Francl27
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

I just want to disagree with the bold part. Those things are part of my daily diet and I am definitely not an olympic athlete. There is nothing wrong with having those in your diet if you get plent of micronutrients and your macros in your other food.

Sure, in moderation. 400 calories of ice cream every day isn't moderation, especially when you end up in the red every single day. Just look at his diary (and some days he has cake too). Between that and some days at 70g of protein for 2200 calories, well, there's no small wonder he's struggling.

His diary has a lot of generic entries though, so who knows how much he's actually eating.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating 400 or so calories of chocolate, try eating a meal. This will go much further than a block of chocolate.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Instead of eating 400 or so calories of chocolate, try eating a meal. This will go much further than a block of chocolate.

I looked it up, it's ice cream.

But your point still stands.