No Alcohol August

Options

Replies

• MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You all have such great comments here, truly motivating!
    Thysbeeverblom: you said "dont be ashamed of what you log, I think some of us here can really understand and had times of their own" that is so true.
    SandiRemedios: YES you MUST learn to carry water with you when you walk in this weather.
    abarriere: I've been doing the Whole30 as well. How's it going for you?
    Someody_...: You say you're struggling with how to move forward? The truth is, you know how you want to move forward, you want to keep alcohol in your life but are not sure you can handle it. Below I am writing my future plans for alcohol, read it and take what you want from it or ignore it completely but I have the same problem so maybe, just maybe we can find a solution :)

So, we've learned or I suppose we've all really knew that alcohol does contribute to weight gain and can prevent us from dropping stubborn pounds. No surprise there, we know what we have to do.

As for reasons to celebrate, some are legitimate, others not so. I too can't image my life without alcohol in it. Maybe it's just because it's been a part of it for so long, maybe it's an addiction, I've wrestled with that idea for a long time. My plan is to do this 30 days cold sober, after that, I'll try to continue as long as I can. I have a time in mind when I'll have my next glass of wine, it's the first snow fall. It's a ritual for my hubby and I, he works on a reservoir and collects beaver logs (soooo cool) for us to have our first season fire with. So, that night I plan to have a fire and wine. Normally that would lead to continued drinking night after night. This time I'll put REAL distance between then and the next time I have wine, weeks if not months. I want to learn to drink when I want it and not because my body craves it. It's time that I take control of my body rather than the other way around. Just and idea. Hopefully it'll work.

Oh and by the way, day # 12 for me. Feel great, losing weight, sleeping well.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So far so good. I am on day 10 and I am going strong. I felt crappy the first two days with stomach problems. but since then I have had a lot more energy and have lost 5 lbs. I know we are not supposed to weigh but i had a physical so i got to see. Surprisingly, i haven't had any cravings yet, but i have had some weird dreams, like they say you do.

How about you? how's yours going?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I cheated but I'm back on track now ;(
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am so inspired by all of you who have posted on here and can relate! I am excited for those starting out (that's me!) and for those who have been successful for weeks and months! I am on Day 4 and feel great! I can relate to the "celebrations." I was celebrating everything: mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, Friday night, etc. One glass of wine was leading to an entire bottle. I recently went through a divorce and it's been hard, making my drinking problem the worst ever. I was forgetting entire (and important!) conversations with one of my best friends (blackouts!!) and that devastated me, but it did spur me on to deep convictions about drying out!

A few of you had mentioned wanting to be able to moderate drinking in the future and that's where I am. Growing up in the Bay Area of California, wine was a staple, and I enjoyed a glass periodically: dinners out, wine tasting, parties, etc. without it being an issue. I would like to go back to being able to appreciate a little wine now and again, without overdoing it. I know I will need to dry out for a long while before I will trust myself with that possibility and I also know that may never come about. Right now, I will focus on just stopping 100%. I feel great about my decision and very strong. Last night would've been a "wine night," but I didn't have any, nor did I want any. A personal victory!

Keep on keeping on and keep on posting!! Your victories are inspiring and even your honesty about your slip-ups can spur the rest of us to that same level of honesty and accountability! Good luck to all of us!!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @juliedee20 - I could have written that post. I went through a divorce a couple years ago and started going through bottles of wine very regularly. Over the past few years I've also noticed that I black out often - pretty much any time I drink in excess. Even after I had dealt with the divorce and found myself in a completely happy place, I was still drinking often out of habit. Going dry in July broke that habit for me and was incredibly beneficial. You're doing great!

@MyWhole30Journey - I totally agree with taking control of it rather than the other way around. I went to dinner with a friend last night that I hadn't seen in ages and had one glass of wine and stopped after that. Had I not been driving home, I'm sure I would have had more to drink. I'm just not in the place (yet) where I can trust myself to moderate. At this point it's taking up so my of my time thinking about it that it seems it would be easier to just go completely dry again.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just had a glass of chocolate milk instead of wine. Delicious!
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Day 3 done. All Good here, But Fridays Are My issue!! Great job everyone. I'm feeling so good
  • ChezMarie86
    ChezMarie86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vodka mixed with sparkling coconut pineapple water and good ol boulevard tank 7 are my weakness. I started on a 5 day challenge...in day 2. Also trying to switch from smoking to vaping. This is going to be a tough journey but I'm in! My body needs to be fully cleansed for once!
  • ThysbeEverbloom
    ThysbeEverbloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Day 5 - feeling great, so much energy, so much better at coping with the heat and so much better sleep

I think from today on its the longest period without alcohol in years

yeah, the divorce issue - after my worst break up I had 2 bottles of wine EVERY night. blackouts and injuries are known to me for so many yeaars due to drinking in excess and the worst is - I tend turn into a mixture between hulk and the 2 stepsisters of cinderella (a really mean b***).

Since I have never known moderation my path towards abstinence becomes clearer and clearer - I think everybody has to know for themselves and decide accordingly.

Keep up the good work and thank you so much for the inspiration
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options

[quote="ThysbeEverbloom; I tend turn into a mixture between hulk and the 2 stepsisters of cinderella (a really mean b***).

I understand what you're saying. My poor husband has felt that wrath. I don't know why, we can e having a great time and once we hit the 2 bottle mark I became a b***. I hated that. Hated the lack of control over myself. Well, that is the past and I will move forward.

Today is day 13 for me and all is well :) No drinking, only minor temptations that have been easily overcome with good judgement and common sense.

Hope everyone here has a good and sober day. The weekend is coming and it will take so extra care and precautions so if you can, plan something nice, special and different from your usual routine. This is a big world we live in and there's a lot more we can do than sit around and get drunk.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I've been working on moderation the past month and drink 7-10oz of wine with dinner. I've measured it out in a measuring cup so I know for sure. I drink it really slowly, over an hour. I stopped for 3 years about 5 years ago and didn't really miss it. Looking at the calories, I might need to stop again. I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see how you all do.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    so weird im doing this too
  • tmbg1
    Options
    This may sound weird but my eczema seems to be gone.. Could this be related to dry July and no alcohol august??
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Day 4 feel grest. Gonna eat my calories instead of drink them todat
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Day 14 for me. I'm really happy to see how well everyone is doing. Good for you tmbg, that's a grea NSV. On the flip side, I've been getting itchy hands, not the skin but internal, it's driving me nuts!!! :(
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hi all, in the past week I've had one glass of wine for my mom's birthday and one glass of wine when I met up with a friend for dinner. I feel great that I was able to keep it to one glass on each occasion. I don't know what my "long term" approach is going to be and thinking about it overwhelms me. So for now, I'm taking it a few days at a time and my plan for this weekend is to stay dry.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    This may sound weird but my eczema seems to be gone.. Could this be related to dry July and no alcohol august??

My acne was triggered by alcohol, it disappeared when I stopped drinking. So I guess it could be connected in some way?
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi all, in the past week I've had one glass of wine for my mom's birthday and one glass of wine when I met up with a friend for dinner. I feel great that I was able to keep it to one glass on each occasion. I don't know what my "long term" approach is going to be and thinking about it overwhelms me. So for now, I'm taking it a few days at a time and my plan for this weekend is to stay dry.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

@Somebody Loved: Congratulations, keeping it to one glass! I used to be able to do that but it's been awhile. I am hoping to be able to get back to that limited enjoyment but for now I just need to dry out and let my poor body heal.

Day 6 for me! It's Friday night and no wine--and I feel great about that! No Saturday morning hangover for me and I will celebrate that with a trip to Starbucks! Wine on my "wine nights" was always my reward. Now it will be Starbucks the morning after as a reward for being good! Got to be good to self!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Meanwhile, in about 2 weeks, I will turn 22 (aug 26) and will enjoy me some alcohol..anyways, good luck on your no alcohol challenge..I should also add that I failed this challenge earlier in the month haha..but I don't have a drinking problem as I probably drink every few weeks anyways
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Went 2 weeks without wine, but cracked last night. Went out for first born dd's bon voyage dinner - she is about to go off to college today and I am having a hard time letting go - had a glass of wine with dinner...turned into 4. I am back on it today!! Just can't seem to keep it to one glass yet. I woke up with a little headache and feel slightly hazy.. I much prefer the alcohol free waking up. No more now for the rest of August!!