one meal a day diet

Options

Replies

• Bunny81s
    Bunny81s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My husband eats one meal a day. He's lost 60 pounds doing this. He is rarely ever hungry during the day.
  • Bunny81s
    Bunny81s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My husband eats one meal a day. He's lost 60 pounds doing this. He is rarely ever hungry during the day.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Some people naturally prefer to eat bigger meals less frequently than most. If you are one of those people, you should find that this meal timing feels good and natural to you. If you are not, you will struggle with it and you should not do it.

I agree with this. Is there a reason you are trying a one meal a day?
  • WantBestME
    WantBestME Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    with just one meal - i would be emotionally down...
    I split-up like this- breakfast:~200cal (a porridge+fruit) (sometimes 150cal) lunch:350 cal(rice and lots of veggies, pulses), dinner-350cal( some carb+fruit+milk) , snack-100 + 100 cal (twice a day - usually fruits/2 slices of bread :P)

I know major portion of my diet is carb.. but i got used to it.. less carb makes me dizzy..
  • EnriqueLuviano
    EnriqueLuviano Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The diet you're talking about is intermediate fasting, it can have a larger eating window or smaller eating widow like once a day . Just make sure to hit your macros in that meal and you should be fine. Best time to eat would be post workout. I had pretty good fat loss results with intermediate fasting.
  • abandonedloveforfat
    abandonedloveforfat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bunny81s wrote: »

how is he able to maintain this diet
  • dinneronly
    dinneronly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying this. Have been doing it for 3 days now. The first day, I was hungry. (I am just eating dinner), but the last 2 days have been very easy. I definitely have more energy during the day, and I am not starving during the day. It is so nice to sit down to dinner with my family and friends, and not have to pass on certain food items. I don't have to explain to anyone that I am on a diet. This fact alone, makes me motivated. I will post later in the week to share any results. To be honest, I am sooo happy not counting points, not counting calories, not eliminating certain foods, that I feel this will be easier to stick to than anything else I have tried.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    dinneronly wrote: »
    I am trying this. Have been doing it for 3 days now. The first day, I was hungry. (I am just eating dinner), but the last 2 days have been very easy. I definitely have more energy during the day, and I am not starving during the day. It is so nice to sit down to dinner with my family and friends, and not have to pass on certain food items. I don't have to explain to anyone that I am on a diet. This fact alone, makes me motivated. I will post later in the week to share any results. To be honest, I am sooo happy not counting points, not counting calories, not eliminating certain foods, that I feel this will be easier to stick to than anything else I have tried.

I recognize that I'm about to hand out unsolicited advice, so I apologize if this comes across as anything other than trying to be helpful. I don't follow a strict one-meal-a-day plan, but I do it often because I also enjoy being able to eat a large meal with family without having to pass up on things. However, just be careful if you're also choosing not to count calories. It is extremely easy to go over your daily calorie limit in one meal. Especially if you're eating out. But even at home, a single meal can put me at twice my daily calorie limit, depending on how it was cooked. My husband was a chef and likes to put hidden calories everywhere. So even if I'm only doing one meal, I still have to count calories to stay in my goal. That may not be true for you, though. But if you find that you're not reaching your goals and are getting frustrated, you may need to look at the calorie content of your one meal. Then again, you may naturally eat well within your range without having to count, which would be great for you. :)
  • dinneronly
    dinneronly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, rhyolite_. I want advice! That is why I am here...yes, I see that counting calories is important, but right now, for me, just the idea that this might be a great format for me, is enough right now. I seem to adapt well to this style of eating, and it is making eating a pleasure again. My goal is to lose weight, but fixing my relationship with food for the moment seems more important. Does that make sense?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose behind this diet? If you're struggling with it, it's a sign that it's not going to be sustainable. It's proven science that time you eat doesn't really matter if you're staying within your calorie goals.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    As soon as I eat a meal in the morning hunger moves in for the day. If I wait til late afternoon to start eating my calories I find I'm satisfied physically and emotionally.
    On days I wake up hungry I have a protein shake.
  • lowcarber87
    lowcarber87 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for about 7 months and lost 37kg so far.

I don't feel like eating during the day so I eat at dinner time and it's high fat (sometimes) and low carb. I don't snack but I have strawberries after dinner as dessert.

I cheat sometimes and eat whatever I want but that's prob only once a month for one day.
  • lowcarber87
    lowcarber87 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I really want something I eat a can of tuna which has barely any fat carbs or sugar.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What is the reason for this?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    OP check out the Lean Gains site for information on IF. Dr Sara Solomon is another good page for information on IF, she has some paid content but does have a lot of free information on there.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What is the reason for this?

This is my question as well. Usually people eat one meal a day because of lifestyle preference, not to lose weight. It's all about calories in/out, not how often you do or do not eat.
  • Ivonne_992
    Ivonne_992 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think your metabolism might end up really slow :/
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Ivonne_992 wrote: »
    I think your metabolism might end up really slow :/

No. Why would this happen? This is not true at all.
  • LucyP12342014
    LucyP12342014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat massive portions. And really struggle with snacking. I have been having a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and a big meal for tea. This is working really well for me and my relationship with food. My evening meal is healthy but large. I am eating 1300 calories a day and I don't eat back my exercise. After 6 weeks I am 16lbs lighter.
  • KatevinBones
    KatevinBones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rather than eating only one meal per day, try eating all of your calories within a few hours. This is a tedx at Johns Hopkins that explains some of the benefits behind intermittent fasting for anyone interested: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8 He explains some of the different methods and ways to ease into it.