PT Programme almost all arm weights?

Options
webuiltthisnicky
webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I know we're not all professionals and PTs here but maybe someone can offer guidance or their own experience here.

I'm feeling a bit weird about the programme that one of the PTs in my gym assigned me. I told him my goals were mostly around fat loss and muscle conditioning. However he seems to have focused a lot on arms and not so much on legs. Is this normal for beginners?

Warm up - elliptical resistance 3 5 mins
Chest press - 7kg 15x3 reps
Lat pull-down - 20kg 15x3 reps
Shoulder press - 4.5kg 12x3 reps
Seated row - 14kg 15x3 reps
Leg press - 32kg 15x3 reps
Triceps dip - 18kg 12x3 reps
Cardio - elliptical 30 seconds setting 3 then 30 seconds setting 6 for five minutes
Mountain climber on the mat 2x20

Besides the leg press, which I might need to swap out for squats anyway because the machine is really uncomfortable, it seems pretty arms-focused. Is this normal for a newbie?

I didn't want to ask him in case he was offended that I didn't trust him, but today I was sticking my hair back in a ponytail in front of the mirror and my arms looked enormous in the mirror. I know I have really poor body image anyway so that accounts for a lot of my worries.

I know a few people on the board might get patronising with me about this but I feel like there are so many slim, tight-looking barbie types running around my gym with the kind of figure that I would love to aim for, but I have a nasty feeling that I'm going to just look like a gorilla. I know women can't put on tonnes of bulk at the gym but every so often I look in the mirror and I just see ARMS. I feel like I'm just going to be a chunky bridge troll forever lol!

Is this trainer right that I should be beginning with this workout? Are you supposed to start with arms or have I totally miscommunicated what my goals are?

Bracing for all the shouty comments about women not being able to get big. Doesn't change what I see in the mirror.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen but it's extremely basic and not something people would need to pay a professional to get. Most likely it's a cookie cutter program that the gym has "trainers" hand to people that get that one free session with a trainer when they sign up for a new membership. The trainer may or may not be qualified to give you much more, especially if you only have one session with them.

Anyhoo. It's your session and it's your workout. I couldn't give two damns if the guy is offended if you question his workout. If he can't easily answer questions supporting why he feels this program is right for you (spoiler alert: it isn't) then he's not a professional at all. Honestly, just go do stronglifts.

Anyhoo part 2. Don't waste time daydreaming about these massive man moosels you gonna get. Ain't happening. People that put on muscle or get really lean and cut fight for every quarter inch of gains/leanness. It don't just happen because they did a few too many sets of dips. Go workout and spend no more time thinking of what you **don't** want to be.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Warm up - elliptical resistance 3 5 mins
    Chest press - 7kg 15x3 reps
    Lat pull-down - 20kg 15x3 reps
    Shoulder press - 4.5kg 12x3 reps
    Seated row - 14kg 15x3 reps
    Leg press - 32kg 15x3 reps
    Triceps dip - 18kg 12x3 reps
    Cardio - elliptical 30 seconds setting 3 then 30 seconds setting 6 for five minutes
    Mountain climber on the mat 2x20

Do you know what organization your PT is certified through? Your arms definitely come into play in the upper body exercises but it's balanced across chest, shoulders, upper back, and legs. Maybe I used the word "balanced" too loosely, but it's not all direct arm work.

The thing that sticks out to me is, why these exercies? Does he have you do the same thing all the time? I'm assuming that's 3 sets of 12 and 15 reps, not 12 and 15 sets of 3 reps?

Aside from weight management, what are your goals for exercise?
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for replying. Yeah a lot of my worries came out of the feeling that it was very 'basic', like it was downloaded off the Internet and no real thought had gone into what I'd told him. I paid £20 for an hour with him, which I can afford, but obviously he wanted me to hire him to train me each workout, and I just don't have £60 a week on top of my membership fees. I'm worried if I ask someone else at the gym to help me with a program, they'll do the same thing: try to get me to hire them on the regular and assign me something really basic if I don't.

And yeah, I got that mixed up lol, it's 3 sets of 15.

My main goal is to shift fat and lose inches. I used to go to bodycombat, but the times that the classes happen just don't work for me.

Am I stuck doing these workouts unless I have money to pay someone to work with me constantly? I'm really concerned I might be wasting my time.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for replying. Yeah a lot of my worries came out of the feeling that it was very 'basic', like it was downloaded off the Internet and no real thought had gone into what I'd told him. I paid £20 for an hour with him, which I can afford, but obviously he wanted me to hire him to train me each workout, and I just don't have £60 a week on top of my membership fees. I'm worried if I ask someone else at the gym to help me with a program, they'll do the same thing: try to get me to hire them on the regular and assign me something really basic if I don't.

My main goal is to shift fat and lose inches. I used to go to bodycombat, but the times that the classes happen just don't work for me.

Am I stuck doing these workouts unless I have money to pay someone to work with me constantly? I'm really concerned I might be wasting my time.

Yeah, that's not likely a plan I would use for anybody. Two good organizations, not saying the only, for trainers are NASM and NSCA. See if your gym has trainer profiles and look for one of those two certification qualifications. Trainers typically get the CSCS from NSCA, but I don't recall what other certs they have. From NASM something like a CES or PES are ideal, though some get their normal certified personal trainer from them instead.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Yeah, that's not likely a plan I would use for anybody. Two good organizations, not saying the only, for trainers are NASM and NSCA. See if your gym has trainer profiles and look for one of those two certification qualifications. Trainers typically get the CSCS from NSCA, but I don't recall what other certs they have. From NASM something like a CES or PES are ideal, though some get their normal certified personal trainer from them instead.

the cert could come from jesus christ on the cross but it won't matter one whit if passing out this cookie cutter program is the policy of that gym. honestly, you're hard pressed for someone to provide a custom program after one session. you just met. they don't know enough about you, your goals, your limitations, your abilities, or anything else to write a program of significance.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Look up strong lifts or strong curves. Find a trainer that knows their *kitten* and can help you a few times to get your form down. (Not saying everyone does this-but every trainer I've ever gone to offers an initial session for free. Decide if you like them-use them 2-3 times and as needed.) Do these programs-both of which are a lot better than the program he gave you.

That is cookie cutter for sure. You'd be surprised how many little "Barbie doll" girls at the gym lift heavy. The big difference is that they get their diet in check and lose the fat. Lifting will help you look smaller-once you lose the fat.

Coming from an ACE and ACSM certified trainer-I would never hand out that program. That sounds like it came from Shape magazine.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

the cert could come from jesus christ on the cross but it won't matter one whit if passing out this cookie cutter program is the policy of that gym. honestly, you're hard pressed for someone to provide a custom program after one session. you just met. they don't know enough about you, your goals, your limitations, your abilities, or anything else to write a program of significance.

DavPul, I would hope that a gym wouldn't be that short-sided; I know that's too optimistic. But honestly, through NASM and NSCA we are educated to evaluate how people move, take their goals, and get them started for say 4 weeks and then progress from there. I don't know what other organizations do but it sounds like many are poor to say the least. Also, just because somebody gets some education it doesn't mean they know how to use it by any means. At least looking for a trainer with certain criterion helps narrow down the stupidity. Finding a good trainer is definitely not easy.
    Coming from an ACE and ACSM certified trainer-I would never hand out that program. That sounds like it came from Shape magazine.

Ah, ACSM was the other one I was thinking of. Yes, that plan looks like something out of a magazine. "Get Swol, use this..."
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Look up strong lifts or strong curves. Find a trainer that knows their *kitten* and can help you a few times to get your form down. (Not saying everyone does this-but every trainer I've ever gone to offers an initial session for free. Decide if you like them-use them 2-3 times and as needed.) Do these programs-both of which are a lot better than the program he gave you.

That is cookie cutter for sure. You'd be surprised how many little "Barbie doll" girls at the gym lift heavy. The big difference is that they get their diet in check and lose the fat. Lifting will help you look smaller-once you lose the fat.

I've looked up the Strong Lifts/Curves programme. The books are like textbooks - is this something I need to study or is it more for people who are teaching the programme? So far I've shied away from anything that isn't a machine because I can sort of hide in them and nobody can see me.

I also have the .pdf of the strong curves programme here and I don't know what half of these words mean lol, so I probably will have to talk to a PT to help me for a few sessions to work out what I'm doing. None of our trainers seem to do a free first session - the pure gym website cites a session at £20/hour for a PT. The guy I talked to before does have some qualifications, to be fair - he has a degree in sports studies and some Active IQ certs, whatever they are.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Either you want to do this or you don't. Those books are short, easy to read, and easy to understand. If you can't be bothered to read something that will get you on the correct path to doing something that will benefit you the rest of your life, I'm not sure what to tell you
  • webuiltthisnicky
    edited August 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Either you want to do this or you don't. Those books are short, easy to read, and easy to understand. If you can't be bothered to read something that will get you on the correct path to doing something that will benefit you the rest of your life, I'm not sure what to tell you

Calm down, I've never seen the books physically. I live in armpit, Ireland, we don't exactly have access to this stuff down the road and I only heard about this last night, and it is now the following morning. I've hardly been out shopping. I went to look at them on amazon and that was what some of the reviews said - that they were as big as university textbooks and hard to understand. Obviously that's going to put me off given that I'm already pretty confused and anxious this whole thing. Sorry if I annoyed you by voicing actual questions that I have on an advice forum but I'm still pretty knew to all this and have hardly any background knowledge to start with. Also where did I say I didn't want to do it? I just asked if it was more of a teaching book or one I should be using, and mentioned that so far the gym is still somewhere that I'm quite unsure of and I'm hiding behind machines a lot - I didn't say I wanted to stay that way. I just said t hat it's something I'm currently in the unfortunate habit of doing.
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Does your gym now offer programme assessments as well as PT? my gym (granted in dublin) allows you to get a new programme every 6 weeks. Basically a meeting with one of the staff where they do a programme based on your needs/goals and show you how to do it and then its up to you...surely every gym should offer this from a health and safety perspective?
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    sk1982 wrote: »
    Does your gym now offer programme assessments as well as PT? my gym (granted in dublin) allows you to get a new programme every 6 weeks. Basically a meeting with one of the staff where they do a programme based on your needs/goals and show you how to do it and then its up to you...surely every gym should offer this from a health and safety perspective?

They give you a group induction which you can pick a timeslot for, and they walk you round each machine to show you each one and what it does, but unfortunately a programme is not free. It's generally about £20 to see someone, which is why it took me so long to talk to one in the first place and the above programme is what I was given to do. I'm pretty broke lol.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the program he gave you is based on some antiquated and honestly just wrong ideas about how women should work out (absolutely minimal strength for legs, mostly cardio, presumably for fear of "bulking" them; arms to "balance" things out).
    slaite1 wrote: »

I've looked up the Strong Lifts/Curves programme. The books are like textbooks - is this something I need to study or is it more for people who are teaching the programme? So far I've shied away from anything that isn't a machine because I can sort of hide in them and nobody can see me.

I also have the .pdf of the strong curves programme here and I don't know what half of these words mean lol, so I probably will have to talk to a PT to help me for a few sessions to work out what I'm doing. None of our trainers seem to do a free first session - the pure gym website cites a session at £20/hour for a PT. The guy I talked to before does have some qualifications, to be fair - he has a degree in sports studies and some Active IQ certs, whatever they are.

Youtube has any exercise I can think of and more :) For Strong Curves, there are a lot of videos, also descriptions on the author's blog. (But I'd go for the videos, those are usually really focused on the demonstrations and have good and thorough explanations).

I think it's really worth learning as much as you can about doing the exercises properly, form is really important. I usually try to find a couple of vids with comprehensive explanations by different people (bc people sometimes emphasize different things, also sometimes one explanation just sticks better), watch them at home, try the exercise a few times, and when I think I've got it, bookmark a shorter vid of just a quick visual demonstration on my phone (in case I forget what it is when I'm at the gym). I also input my workouts and track them on my phone, but you can of course just use pen and paper.

If you haven't ever worked out before, or followed a plan, it's worth getting the book (whichever appeals) to better understand the rationale behind the design of the whole program, as well as getting good explanations of the individual exercises.

I think it helps to know why you're doing things - that way, you can make more informed decisions when things go off track. (e.g., if you miss a workout or two, you'll have an idea of where and how to pick things up. Or if you need to substitute an exercise, you'll have more info on the kind of thing to look for.)

Re the bolded - I'm sorry to hear that :/ but I know what you mean. It can be awkward to try new things in public, on your own :) When I was first learning how to do basic weighted movements, I practiced them away from the main area of the gym, in a little room off to the side. In that case, the room happened to be designated as a "women's room", but most gyms have some sort of semi-private room like that for classes. Usually there are at least some dumbbells around, as well as other basic stuff (mats, ball, etc). Sometimes it's obvious that it's ok to use that kind of room, because you see a few people in there doing their thing, but you can ask the staff if you're not sure.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Try Stronglifts instead. It's very simple. I agree strong curves can be overwhelming-and you're not the first person to complain that it's complicated.

Are you set on only doing machines? I completely understand that they feel "safer" and less overwhelming. If you want to do machines, at least get on a program that is not so basic. Ask your trainer for some other options, and just stick it out for a month. See how it goes. If you want to change your body you will want to move on eventually.

That being said-I highly recommend looking beyond the machines. Even incorporating some Dumbbells for some of the recommended exercises would be helpful.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The program is fine and covers all the major muscle groups.

Just stick to the basics: lifting with good form, upping the weight sensibly over time as you get stronger, allowing yourself to recover.

Preferably you should start off with a free weights routine but you can still get good results with what you have now.
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Youtube has any exercise I can think of and more :) For Strong Curves, there are a lot of videos, also descriptions on the author's blog. (But I'd go for the videos, those are usually really focused on the demonstrations and have good and thorough explanations).

I think it's really worth learning as much as you can about doing the exercises properly, form is really important. I usually try to find a couple of vids with comprehensive explanations by different people (bc people sometimes emphasize different things, also sometimes one explanation just sticks better), watch them at home, try the exercise a few times, and when I think I've got it, bookmark a shorter vid of just a quick visual demonstration on my phone (in case I forget what it is when I'm at the gym). I also input my workouts and track them on my phone, but you can of course just use pen and paper.

If you haven't ever worked out before, or followed a plan, it's worth getting the book (whichever appeals) to better understand the rationale behind the design of the whole program, as well as getting good explanations of the individual exercises.

I think it helps to know why you're doing things - that way, you can make more informed decisions when things go off track. (e.g., if you miss a workout or two, you'll have an idea of where and how to pick things up. Or if you need to substitute an exercise, you'll have more info on the kind of thing to look for.)

Re the bolded - I'm sorry to hear that :/ but I know what you mean. It can be awkward to try new things in public, on your own :) When I was first learning how to do basic weighted movements, I practiced them away from the main area of the gym, in a little room off to the side. In that case, the room happened to be designated as a "women's room", but most gyms have some sort of semi-private room like that for classes. Usually there are at least some dumbbells around, as well as other basic stuff (mats, ball, etc). Sometimes it's obvious that it's ok to use that kind of room, because you see a few people in there doing their thing, but you can ask the staff if you're not sure.

I'm not sure why I didn't think about youtube in the first place, so thank you for the reminder. I'm definitely going to see if one of the other trainers at the gym can give me a hand the first number of workouts until I'm happy to truck along by myself, but reinforcing what I've learned by watching videos to keep it fresh in my head would probably be quite helpful. I'll watch a few before I talk to someone just to get an idea in my head of what some of these moves actually mean.

Yeah, I'm horribly awkward haha. I suffer quite badly from anxiety and the first time I went into the gym the doors opened and it was just sort of an assault of loud music and gorgeous, confident people and machines everywhere that all looked the same and yet slightly different from each other and I almost walked straight back out. Our gym has a class room but it's a Pure Gym so unless you're there really late at night or before 5:30am there's always some kind of class on in there, but I can at least practice at home. I have little light weights in the house that I can use to just practice forms when I'm not at the gym so I've got more confidence when I'm there.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Agree with DavPaul it's not the worst but it is pretty basic.

If you plan to continue with this trainer you need to go back and discuss your goals in more depth. You also need to start asking questions about the program, why is it set up this way, what will you achieve, what are the short and long term goals, how will the program and exercises progress?

If you're paying someone then you need to know you're getting your moneys worth and any good trainer should be happy not only to train you but to teach you so you leave with a little knowledge after each session.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just want to say, I love strong curves, and haven't even started yet.
    It is really easy to read, super clear and all the exercises are simple to understand.
    A very large part of the book are pictures of the different exercises including an explenation on how to perform them, and even pictures of common mistakes and how to fix them. Plus I love how there is a clear progression in the exercises. They change every few weeks, targeting the same muscle while the exercises get harder. So please don't be intimidated.
  • webuiltthisnicky
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Agree with DavPaul it's not the worst but it is pretty basic.

If you plan to continue with this trainer you need to go back and discuss your goals in more depth. You also need to start asking questions about the program, why is it set up this way, what will you achieve, what are the short and long term goals, how will the program and exercises progress?

If you're paying someone then you need to know you're getting your moneys worth and any good trainer should be happy not only to train you but to teach you so you leave with a little knowledge after each session.

I'm going to be switching to a female trainer anyway for other personal reasons I think, but when I do I think I'll ask a lot more questions. Back when I started I was too inexperienced to even really know what questions to ask and just did what I was told, but I know a little more now about what I want to achieve and what's important to me.
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Just want to say, I love strong curves, and haven't even started yet.
    It is really easy to read, super clear and all the exercises are simple to understand.
    A very large part of the book are pictures of the different exercises including an explenation on how to perform them, and even pictures of common mistakes and how to fix them. Plus I love how there is a clear progression in the exercises. They change every few weeks, targeting the same muscle while the exercises get harder. So please don't be intimidated.

That's really reassuring, there are some people who reviewed it saying it was so thick and hard to read that they felt they'd wasted their money. Maybe just folks who don't like reading? I'm fine with reading books, even science-y ones (I studied for a BSc before I changed career pathway so it's hardly new), but I imagined myself lugging around this massive breeze block-looking monster of a book around the gym with me and sitting on the mat squinting at little diagrams lol. I'll definitely check it out, thank you :)