The Magic Bullet

Options
I just bought a magic bullet, and so far I love it! I really liked the different smoothie recipes that it came with. My question is...has anyone used this as a dieting method and how did it work for you? I just started going to the gym also...I'm very determined to lose weight, but I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. Right now, I have a smoothie for breakfast and lunch...full of veggies/fruits/protein and a mid morning snack...100 cal granola bar...and a healthy dinner...baked chicken etc...I'm new to dieting/working out...

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I just love the names these companies come up with....

The real 'magic' isn't really magic at all. Just intake fewer calories than you burn each week and you will lose weight. No need to buy expensive gimmicks.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I got one, but ended up getting a blender and food processor. They're nifty little things for making smoothies, but eventually I started started needing more. It was my gateway appliance, lol. :)
    dewd2 wrote: »

The real 'magic' isn't really magic at all. Just intake fewer calories than you burn each week and you will lose weight. No need to buy expensive gimmicks.
    It's not a gimmick. It's a machine and can be used to gain weight as easily as lose it. It's been around for at least a decade.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    has anyone used this as a dieting method and how did it work for you?

Here's what worked for me.

I calculated how many calories I should be eating. I went here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Later on, I went here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then, I got myself a digital food scale.

71YGhbR6QXL._SL1197_.jpg

I bought food and then put it on the food scale. I weighed the food.

I plugged the food into myfitnesspal under "foods".

I ate within that range of calories recommended by MFP.

I lost weight by staying in a deficit.

I began walking, lifting weights, and running. :)

I logged in daily.

I read posts like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Welcome & Good luck!

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I never got the magic bullet, though I do have the NutriBullet 600watt and love it......but yes.....you still gotta watch what your blast with it :)
  • NJDad
    NJDad Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a Vitamix. find that one smoothie a day helps me. Typically it is almond milk, kale or spinach, a fruit, protein powder or Vega One powder (or you can use the Beachbody stuff), and if I'm not going to get enough fat later in the day, a nut butter or coconut oil. Avocado could work, but I don't like it in a smoothie personally.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had one. It was my only blender. Loved it until it stopped spinning. Now I have a blender. The blender is a stronger unit and was under $20. The magic bullet is nice for portion control to a point, but I find it easier to fill the blender pitcher on the food scale. What I do miss is the convenience, as the other half likes different smoothies.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Huh? It's just the name of a mini blender. They don't try to make claims about nutrition or weight loss.

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have a Magic Bullet, though I like the NutriBULLET better. It's just a bit more efficient and really blends everything together well. I find a lot of unmixed stuff at the bottom with the Magic Bullet. They're both good for making margaritas though ;)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »

Huh? It's just the name of a mini blender. They don't try to make claims about nutrition or weight loss.

My bad. From the original message it sounded like some sort of "drink one shake for breakfast and lunch and watch the pounds melt off" type of thing.

If you use it to make a smoothie once in a while then sure, why not. But if you expect to have shakes/smoothies replace meals each day you are setting yourself up for failure. At some point folks get tired of it and regress to their former way of eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »

They sort of do that for the Nutribullet (same company), they call it a "nutrient extractor". :s I still bought it (the 600W version), and I love it, and I love the smoothies I make with it, but it's not a dieting method. Counting calories is the dieting method I used.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make breadcrumbs, salsa, hummus, salad dressing, marinades, and smoothies with ours. We have kept it on the counter for at least 4 years.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I do not use that brand, but whatever.
    This type of device is great for those of us who enjoy juicing or smoothies instead of eating those terrible things called "vegetables" - AWFUL!
    :s
    I just won't eat them, so I make a half gallon concoction every morning to drink during the day.
    Today's mix is kale, carrots, tomatoes, cilantro, blueberries, apples and cucumbers.
    I have learned to love juicing, and my health has been transformed.