Can I Lose 80 lbs. in 9 weeks?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What the other guys said.
    You didn't put on 80 pounds in 9 weeks, and putting them on was the easy part.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not constant and it's not linear. Even if it were safe to lose so much so fast it wouldn't happen in an X pounds in Y weeks fashion, anyway. You might be able to drop 10 pounds the first week but most of it would be water from the change in your diet. You may even be able to pull off losses of 4 or 5 pounds the next few weeks but as you lose weight it gets harder and harder to create the calorie deficit needed to lose weight quickly because your now-smaller mass burns fewer calories doing the same things. There are also negative side-effects of losing so much weight so quickly. Excessive muscle loss; saggy, loose skin; hair falling out; and brittle nails are just some of the things you'd have to look forward to.

The muscle loss is the worst part of this but the part you probably won't notice. As you lose muscle, your metabolism slows slightly. That makes it harder for you to maintain your new weight and easier to put weight back on. When you do put it back on (which will invariably happen because you didn't learn to eat to maintain your lower weight while losing) it will all be fat. So then your body fat percentage will be even higher than it was before you lost the weight. Then the next time you decide to crash diet you'll lose even more muscle and the cycle will continue. Celebrity diets sell magazines, nothing else.

Don't do this to yourself. Lose weight in a healthy manner and start weight lifting to maintain your current muscle mass. You'll be much happier with how you look once you reach your goal weight and you'll stand a decent shot of actually keeping it off.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Anyone see The Machinist? Christian Bale lost, like, 65 lbs in 12 weeks for that, and he looked hella sexy and healthy. (please note sarcasm)
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Let us math!

80 lbs divided by 9 weeks is 8.8 pounds per week.

A pound is 3500 calories, by 8.8 and divided by 7 days is 4444 calories deficit in a day.

For your stats, your TDEE with 5-6 hours of strenious exercise a week is 2978 according to scooby's calculator.

So, if you eat literally nothing and exercise a lot you will still miss the mark by approximately 26.4 pounds.

I would say not possible. (If you cannot tell, I love math.)

I have similar stats to you, 5'6", 205 pounds though I am older at 30. I eat 1600 cals a day, except 3-4 days a month where I eat maintainence. (because TOM sucks) I have my weight loss goal at 1 lb per week then use exercise to push it up between 1.5-2 lbs. This gives me good motivation to work out but if I don't manage it, I still lose something. I have lost 37 pounds in 4-5 months this way so far and I am not hungry, not denied my favourite things and not obsessed over reaching a certain number by a certain time.

There is no race to the finish. Do it healthy and keep it off for the long term.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Anyone see The Machinist? Christian Bale lost, like, 65 lbs in 12 weeks for that, and he looked hella sexy and healthy. (please note sarcasm)

Oh I have not seen this but have been meaning to!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Does that even sound credible to you? What was the source? The Onion? TMZ?

For the sake of convenience, assuming burning 3500 calories will result in a one pound weight loss, one would need to burn 4444 calories more than one consumed each day for 63 days.

(3500*80)/63

It might be possible for someone *very* obese, and preferably on a medically supervised diet, to do so, and/or someone who is training at an extreme level, but absent exceptional circumstances, I would say, "no".

Even assuming one could actually achieve a sustained 2 pounds/week loss (the rate I often see posited as the maximum recommended), one would need 40 weeks. Assuming that loss rate, 9 weeks would allow for 18 pounds lost.

My actual experience so far is that in 65 weeks (roughly) I have lost 76 pounds, with another 18 to go. If I'm lucky, I'll hit my target by Thanksgiving but that's assuming the aggressive (and unlikely) 2 pounds/week rate. New Year's is probably more realistic.

Your mileage may vary.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that, as a college student, you should have the minimal research and math skills necessary to determine that you cannot lose 80 pounds in 9 weeks in a safe or healthy manner.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Come on Jessica really?
    Don't you know better than this at age 20 with some higher education behind you?
    Unbelievable that you actually even wonder about this.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bale 62lbs in 16 weeks so 3.875lbs a week.
    OP 80 in 9 so 8.88lbs a week.

Beginning of Machinist has lots of promise, Bale is a bit intense and dedicated.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be one of those sarcastic joke threads to show how ridiculous these types of posts are - but nope, it's legitimate. Anyway...

No.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

Oh I have not seen this but have been meaning to!

It's a great movie. Creepy af too!

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nope. Also losing 80lbs would get you to 118lbs, which for your height is on the VERY lowest edge of your healthy weight range, borderline underweight.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Bale 62lbs in 16 weeks so 3.875lbs a week.
    OP 80 in 9 so 8.88lbs a week.

Beginning of Machinist has lots of promise, Bale is a bit intense and dedicated.

Just how I like my men (though with less bones showing through his skin...)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No. Absolutely no.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, right?
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yeah, of course you can. On another note, I've just started sh*tting gold
  • jln909
    jln909 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For everyone who is wondering, this is the website.
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20466776,00.html

HELLO!
    I appreciate and thank those that took it upon themselves to calculate the calorie count and such, but for others that mock someone for just stating what they heard, that's unacceptable. I was looking for support from the community and thoughts on the topic, not my education.
    So yes, I know how to conduct research, and I know how to do simple calculations, but I asked about opinions of the celebrity and the SHRED diet. As stated, his weight loss was shocking. But, I wasn't asking to be analyzed.

And finally, I never said how much weight I intended to lose. I'm on the SHRED diet right now, so I am taking it one day at a time. It is a 6 week diet, aimed at maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lord have mercy. No. In 9 weeks you can maybe lose 18 but even that might be difficult.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jln909 wrote: »
    For everyone who is wondering, this is the website.
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20466776,00.html

HELLO!
    I appreciate and thank those that took it upon themselves to calculate the calorie count and such, but for others that mock someone for just stating what they heard, that's unacceptable. I was looking for support from the community and thoughts on the topic, not my education.
    So yes, I know how to conduct research, and I know how to do simple calculations, but I asked about opinions of the celebrity and the SHRED diet. As stated, his weight loss was shocking. But, I wasn't asking to be analyzed.

And finally, I never said how much weight I intended to lose. I'm on the SHRED diet right now, so I am taking it one day at a time. It is a 6 week diet, aimed at maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

The way you worded the title of your thread should've been different then. You got appropriate responses for a post titled "Can I lose 80lbs in 9 weeks?"

*Edit to fix typo.
This discussion has been closed.