Feeling defeated

Options
hey MFP friends, I have been using this site since 2008 when I took the leap to quit smoking and change my lifestyle by exercising and eating right. I managed to lose about 30lbs in my first year and felt AMAZING. I maintained that weight for quite a few years, but it seems that I've fallen back and have now slowly creeped back to almost my pre-MFP starting weight which I am ashamed to even admit. Two kids, corporate job, sports in the summer and just eating on the go or vegging out at night is what life is like for me these days. Need a kick start to get back to my old ways. It's been ages since I've posted in this forum, but thought since this isbwhere it all started for me nearly 8 yrs ago…maybe I'd give 'er a go again.

Replies

• rilmarie999
    rilmarie999 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't feel defeated you're here right? That's the first step - cheers girl!
  • SeanLives
    SeanLives Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I saw a lot of weight loss in 2008 and looked/felt wonderful. Slowly and not so surely I am now back to a heavier weight than I was when I started back then. I felt ashamed... I still do I suppose, but not as much as I did. I guess I just have gotten on with it... The main thing I'm doing is trying to recognize when I am thinking about where I was... Way back when. I am trying not even thinking about "where I'm going to be by my birthday" or "I've got to loose (so and so) amount by my vacation... Or the holidays".

Stay in the moment and forgive yourself... Beating yourself up (if that is what you are doing), because it does absolutely nothing for you. Guilt won't go to the gym for you.

If you need to start small and break down what you need to do into little bits and do a little bit each day.

Awesome! Friend requests and responses welcomed.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Consider it a fresh start. You have the chance to start new, so forget what happened in the past and start over. Start small, make sure you log every day. Then, start making changes, one or two at a time and give yourself time to get used to them. It's much slower, but that worked best for me. By giving myself time to get used to small changes, I was much more likely to stick with them.

I also had to bribe myself to get back into logging when I started up again in January. I went about 8 months with no logging due to moving drama, and ended up gaining a bit back. So after the holidays, I made myself a deal. If I logged for 30 days in a row, I would treat myself to a steak dinner. Granted, it's at a chain steak house, but the meal I like to get there isn't that much more calories than a regular dinner would be for me (as long as I stick with unsweet tea and not soda) and I feel like I'm treating myself. Then, my clock resets for the next 30 days. Your bribe can be whatever you want, not a nice dinner. Maybe you have your eyes on a piece of clothing you really want. Maybe there's an exhibit you want to go to. Something you want that you might not get for yourself. Make it a reward for a logging streak so you can make logging a habit again.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thx for the kind words of motivation everyone! Much appreciated. Small steps for sure, 1 day at a time! :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Is that all you have to lose on your ticker? Well you are back and far from it being defeated, just be realistic. You need to lose X weight for Y reasons, which means you will need to adopt a pattern of eating at a deficit, this may involve exercise as well. If you do this for x days consistently you will 100% lose weight, which will take x weeks to o from where you are now to target. The road is clear for you, just start simple, take it one day at a time, be focused and be consistent. progress will give you confidence its not a question of if , but when.

If you really do put effort into each day and learn some patience, then you will be fine. However much weight you have to lose there will be several who have to and have lost more on MFP. Dont stress just quietly do.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Right there with you. Lost 30lbs in 2011 and have gained it all back. Finally after spending the last winter/spring depressed and miserable decided to start over. Lost 12 lbs sine July 6th and feel so much better. You just gotta jump on in and do it.
  • ronregpablo
    ronregpablo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You did it once and you can do it again, you have taken the first step getting back on here so go girl you can and will do it
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    One pound at a time. That is my motto. You can do it again. Positive thoughts sent your way :)
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The time will pass regardless of what you do, you may as well make it count. Let's go.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have been on here since 2010. Life changes and we sometimes slip up. You can do it. There are many moms on here sharing stories of how to fit in some exercise and cook healthier meals everyone will eat. As you go thru the forums you may find some great tips.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. You are not the only one to have fallen off the wagon, what is important is that you are getting back on it. We are here to support you. Feel free to add me if you wish
  • Mollymoog
    Mollymoog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You did it once you can do it again. Don't look at the pounds look at the difference in your clothes. That's what I did.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You got this! I had to start over too. Hang in there and you already made the first step!
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Time for a fresh start. Life happens. Get up and just do it. Put the past behind you and you'll be back.on track in no time. No pain, no gain! You got this.