From 350lbs to ultra marathons :))) - My Tahoe Rim 50 Mile experience

Options
runfoorun
runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
Hi all!! Former fluffy guy here. Currently slightly less fluffy and training for ultra marathons. I finished up a beautifully grueling race up in the Lake Tahoe area and wanted to share my report. It's been a long road for me but I finally feel like I'm figuring things out. Here's the link:

http://runfoorun.blogspot.com/2015/08/2015-tahoe-rim-trail-50-mile-race-report.html

n83ivzcd0v2r.jpg

Replies

• Bamthor1
    Bamthor1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nice post and impressive performance. I've ridden it in a day on a bike I can't imagine running it.
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Congrats on your success!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Wowee that's an impressive run! Congrats on finishing and not giving in to the whinging! Kudos to you for sticking with your mate too
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Beautiful photos~thanks for sharing..can't hardly get my head around that sort of body brutality! Perhaps, one day I will be at a place to do something like it!
  • runfoorun
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Wowee that's an impressive run! Congrats on finishing and not giving in to the whinging! Kudos to you for sticking with your mate too
    Thank you :)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational! Those are some really gorgeous landscape photos as well.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    WTG!
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nice! Could you share some advice on how you got there?
  • runfoorun
    Options
    anamonacc wrote: »
    Nice! Could you share some advice on how you got there?
    Oh man, advice. Lets see...to get into ultras, a true desire to test your limits I guess? Everyone trains differently for ultras. I personally run as much as possible (50-90 mi a week) depending on where I'm at in my training, and strength train to keep my legs/core strong. For race days, the realization that I wasn't going to die has helped. Haha. Eating and drinking constantly has been key. About 300 calories per hour for me keeps me going. Enjoy the struggle, embrace the misery, overcome it, make some friends, appreciate your body, be strong. Be prepared to break yourself down mentally to nothing. Let yourself go to that dark place, and head butt the crap out of your inner demons. That's about it :)
  • newlife0202
    newlife0202 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    inspiring, and great read. thank u!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • jaegerbss
    jaegerbss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The human body....the most incredible combat chassis ever conceived. Congrats on your accomplishment. Will be running my first full 26.2 in November and totally understand your dark place comment. I usually find mine around mile 18.
  • runfoorun
    Options
    jaegerbss wrote: »
    The human body....the most incredible combat chassis ever conceived. Congrats on your accomplishment. Will be running my first full 26.2 in November and totally understand your dark place comment. I usually find mine around mile 18.

Thank you everyone. @jaegerbss good luck on your marathon training. My first was the LA marathon. Loved it. I'm hooked on the trails now but I like to do at least one road marathon per year. Enjoy!!
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    super inspiring!!
  • runfoorun
    Options
    LisaPrust wrote: »
    Beautiful photos~thanks for sharing..can't hardly get my head around that sort of body brutality! Perhaps, one day I will be at a place to do something like it!

Thank you Lisa, I didn't get as many photos as I would've liked but luckily out there anywhere you point a camera is scenic. These ultras have been so good for me. They're brutal in a way, like you say, but kind of therapeutic if you take the right approach.
  • khadijah178
    khadijah178 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!!! :)
  • runfoorun
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Tahoe is beautiful. It was a crazy privilege to run those trails. Thanks to those of you who read the blog too. I love sharing my running experiences.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!