The (Person) Scale Argument

Options

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I weigh as frequently as I like, but only "record" my weight once a month, after my period is over, in the morning, before food, after using the bathroom, naked.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Okay, that sounds good. I think I will track that first, then broach the topic of a scale later if I still feel like I need one. :)

Sounds like a good decision for you. And I'd also suggest you use the scale at your gym regularly if you want to weigh more often. As long as you are using the same scale week to week (or day to day) at a similar time of day you should get a good gauge of the direction things are going. Always weigh before you work out though, as how much you sweat/drink during the workout will affect the number.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

OP, since you brought it up:

The relationship you have with your family is your own business, of course. And if your mom has a history with this sort of thing this is more understandable.

But as the father of two teenagers this does sound a bit unusual and restrictive to me. I can see discussing major changes in life with them, and being considerate is commendable, but asking for *permission* strikes me as odd. It's not like you're hosting a keg party. Maybe this is just cultural.

I was honestly surprised at how many people felt like it was strange, so I wanted to address that. It may be cultural, I have found it's mostly atheist/secular people who don't understand. I do have friends who can go out at all hours and say "hey mom I'm going out don't wait up" but that's not who my parents are. *shrugs*

I wish I had changed the wording of my questions now, because so much of this thread is questioning the situation without actually discussing the pros/cons of owning a scale *facepalm* :/

Kudos to you. I don't want to derail the thread so will let it go. But for the record, we are definitely not atheist/secular people. o:)
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

The relationship you have with your family is your own business, of course. And if your mom has a history with this sort of thing this is more understandable.

But as the father of two teenagers this does sound a bit unusual and restrictive to me. I can see discussing major changes in life with them, and being considerate is commendable, but asking for *permission* strikes me as odd. It's not like you're hosting a keg party. Maybe this is just cultural.

I was honestly surprised at how many people felt like it was strange, so I wanted to address that. It may be cultural, I have found it's mostly atheist/secular people who don't understand. I do have friends who can go out at all hours and say "hey mom I'm going out don't wait up" but that's not who my parents are. *shrugs*

I wish I had changed the wording of my questions now, because so much of this thread is questioning the situation without actually discussing the pros/cons of owning a scale *facepalm* :/

Kudos to you. I don't want to derail the thread so will let it go. But for the record, we are definitely not atheist/secular people. o:)

Huh? I assume you are talking about yourself?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I'm sorry, I find it odd that no one thinks a 21 year old living at home would need permission from parents to do things without some sort of conspiracy. The fact is I live in their house so I need to work with them rather than just doing whatever I want. When I go out, they need to know where I am and who I'm with, when I'll be home, and what I'm doing. If I'm making a life change, I need to run the pieces by them. Is this not normal? Are you not considerate with the people you live with? I've gotten this IRL too sometimes and it's just not something I understand. I'm giving my parents respect because I live with them. :/

I totally respect that. When I was 21 I told my parents where I was going and was always home by midnight. But, that didn't stop me from buying things and putting them in my room when I wanted to (within reason, and a scale qualifies as reasonable to me). If your mom has a diet problem that is made worse by a scale being in the house I can totally respect that. If the family just thinks a scale isn't useful, then I have to disagree. You shouldn't have to run that by your parents.

As for the scales in pharmacies/grocery stores, that probably is an US thing if you can't find any nearby. Around me they are everywhere.

Awesome job on the 4.0. I managed to keep a 4.0 for over 2 years until I took a Engineering Business Management class... I do better at the hard sciences :smile:
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Do you pay for the gym membership, or is it more of a community/ free thing? As a paying member, I'd be irritated if they didn't have a decent scale. Maybe you put in a suggestion for a new scale in the locker room.

It's a paying gym, but it's also partially a charity because it has facilities and programs for physically and mentally handicapped people. Some of the equipment is donated, and they work to employ people with down syndrome, etc. The scale is by the water fountain off the running track. None in the locker rooms. I don't really feel like I can request it, but it is possible they will replace it eventually. :)

Personally I think the scale is a very good way to keep accountable and also, I love graphs and data. Weighing daily has taught me a lot about how much my body fluctuates through TOM, salt intake, hydration and new strength training. Once a month would still give you a trend picture but I feel that knowing what I have learned will help me a lot when I hit my goal and switch to maintain.

Perhaps a solution would be to buy a 20-30$ digital scale and donate it to your gym. I am sure others would also appreciate a more accurate reading and then it is not an issue of it being in the house.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

My parents would have expected me to let them know if I was going out, comply with house rules re not staying out all night/let them know generally when I'd be back, and not doing something they would disapprove of (like taking drugs, getting drunk, sleeping with a guy I was not married to) in the house when I was living with them, which I did summers during college, so after being an adult. They wouldn't have expected me to tell them about something I bought for myself, such as a scale. But a scale wouldn't have been a sensitive topic in my house anyway. (And this was 25 years ago, heh.)

Anyway, just interesting and I do expect cultural in some way.

On the topic, I do think scales can be motivating if you are someone who can avoid getting upset by the fluctuations. But if it's not possible there are other options--the tape measure is a good one, although it will be less immediate feedback. One thing I did this time was buy jeans in a brand I know one and two sizes down and use those as a benchmark. It's a waste of money--definitely choose an inexpensive brand if doing something like this--as you won't be in them long, and as brands vary you'd want to stick to the same one, but it worked great for me and served as a nice reward to myself for losing the weight too.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You're 21.

Buy a farking scale fercripessake.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »

Yes. The antecedent for "we" was Mrs Jruzer and myself, along with the Jruzerlets. I thought that was clear from my previous post. I wouldn't presume to speak for any others.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Buying a scale is not a "life change."

It's $25 at the corner store.

You are putting WAY too much thought into this.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For me, daily weighing keeps me from obsessing. It's a number that goes up and down, but in time will (and always has gone) the direction I make it go by my dietary choices.

I wonder if your mother's past with yo-yo dieting gave her an unhealthy relationship with a scale and either she's afraid you'll have the same experience or afraid that if there's a scale in the house, she'll start obsessing/being unhealthy again. If it's the former, I think a scale in the provacy of your bedroom would be okay. If it's the latter, then I think it would be considerate to keep on using the scales outside the home, however infrquently. The only way to find out if one of these serious reasons is the cause of your parents' trepidation would be to talk to them openly.

You can still make great gains without daily weighing. I'd say the weighing of your food is more important than the weighing of your person so long as you update your weight on MFP each time you weigh in with your dietician so you can adjust your calorie goal accordingly.
  • sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yes. The antecedent for "we" was Mrs Jruzer and myself, along with the Jruzerlets. I thought that was clear from my previous post. I wouldn't presume to speak for any others.

You can speak for me ;)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Also, your avatar makes me think of a bolt of mageweave cloth every time I see it.

Nice! Kicked that addiction (and job) years ago, now my son is asking about it.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I just couldn't tell why you were clarifying that point. That's all.

Edited to add

Nevermind. I see it now. dork alert here
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    There are ways to measure your progress without a scale. For fat loss progress, a scale can even be unhelpful at times when water weight masks the actual fat loss you have experienced. I would suggest taking pictures, measurements of at least your chest, waist, and hips every few weeks. Once a month weighing is fine as long as you stick with measuring your food and meeting your calorie goal.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is weird....is "scale" code for "gun"? I mean...I guess bringing a gun into the home would warrant a family discussion....I just don't get it.

If you want to know how much you weigh, buy a scale. If you don't want to smuggle illegal contraband into your home, take measurements. If measuring tape is also a weird thing for your family, then just count your calories and hope for the best.

If your family is already going to the gym, seeing a dietician AND just purchased a food scale, I seriously do not understand this.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I go strictly by inches, no scale unless I'm very, very curious.

To add to everything else everyone is saying...I lived with my parents until I was 23 and I can see why you want to be respectful! I didn't have to tell my parents where I was going or when I was going to be home, but I told them out of respect. Didn't want them to have a heart attack if I came stumbling in at 2am, stayed over at a boyfriend's house without telling them and thought I was in a ditch somewhere. Good for you to be respectful since you are living under their roof. I honestly wish my family was that close and made decisions together. Usually, no one knows you better than your parents. Whether or not you're adult, most parents know who their kids are and can help them make the right choices. :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    This is weird....is "scale" code for "gun"? I mean...I guess bringing a gun into the home would warrant a family discussion....I just don't get it.

If you want to know how much you weigh, buy a scale. If you don't want to smuggle illegal contraband into your home, take measurements. If measuring tape is also a weird thing for your family, then just count your calories and hope for the best.

If your family is already going to the gym, seeing a dietician AND just purchased a food scale, I seriously do not understand this.

And now I have the vision of meeting some unsavory individual in a back alley:

"Rico told me you sold scales, man. How much? He told me I can get a digital from you. No, man, I ain't no food police!"

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    @glassyo :) Love it.
  • GSixZero
    GSixZero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is one of the weirder threads I have ever read.