The (Person) Scale Argument

Options

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    How often you weigh is personal preference.

How do you know the scale at hlrhe gym is unreliable?

Ah, sorry! I've stood on it a couple of times, and the needle moves so much I can get within a 5lb radius of my weight (eg somewhere between 185 and 190) but it doesn't hover higher or lower within that range so I can't really tell to the pound.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Dietician and parents say no scale in house

I'm thinking in treatment for ED

Am I right?

Nope. This is the first time I've ever tried to lose weight. My mom has yo-yo dieted and sees owning a scale as a problem. We had a tenant for a while who had one and she requested it be removed. The dietician, I have no idea. She says it's something she recommends for everyone because of daily fluctuations.
    wait, you are 21. Why can't you just get a job and buy a scale for yourself and keep it in your room? I can understand if your parents don't want to buy a scale for the family, as that is asking them to spend their money.

Also, many locations have scales. My local grocery store has a scale built into the blood pressure station. If I didn't have a scale at home and didn't want to buy one I'd go over there once per week in the morning and weigh myself. You can also find these devices at pharmacies. Is there nothing like that near where you live?

As for daily vs weekly. That is personal preference. Most people who advocate weekly (or longer) do so because a lot of people who weigh daily get discouraged and quit all because of water weight fluctuations. I personally like to weigh daily.

I don't have a job at the moment, but I can easily buy a scale with my savings. I'd prefer not to hide it, because I think that's just unpleasant for everyone involved and a little childish. My parents wouldn't be buying it if I did get one, it's more about it existing in the house.

There are a number of pharmacies near me and none have scales, and only one has a blood pressure reader and none have scales. I have heard before about people having them in malls, but I've never seen them. Is that an American thing?

Uh, no...you are still an adult and can/should do your own thing. You are responsible for your own weight.

Get a scale, put it in your room and use it.

"Do not weigh daily" is a silly rule. Unless your weight fluctuates wildly or you are going to freak out about it, weighing every day is just fine. Why WOULDN'T you want more data?

Well that's why I'm asking. I am able to and can purchase a scale, I'm interested in whether it's worth defending and having a big discussion, and of course I would need facts and arguments to support that decision. I'm looking into making the decision to either press the issue and say "a scale is necessary because xyz" or leave it as is.

*sigh* I'm sorry, I find it odd that no one thinks a 21 year old living at home would need permission from parents to do things without some sort of conspiracy. The fact is I live in their house so I need to work with them rather than just doing whatever I want. When I go out, they need to know where I am and who I'm with, when I'll be home, and what I'm doing. If I'm making a life change, I need to run the pieces by them. Is this not normal? Are you not considerate with the people you live with? I've gotten this IRL too sometimes and it's just not something I understand. I'm giving my parents respect because I live with them. :/
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

Ah, sorry! I've stood on it a couple of times, and the needle moves so much I can get within a 5lb radius of my weight (eg somewhere between 185 and 190) but it doesn't hover higher or lower within that range so I can't really tell to the pound.

Am I right?

Nope. This is the first time I've ever tried to lose weight. My mom has yo-yo dieted and sees owning a scale as a problem. We had a tenant for a while who had one and she requested it be removed. The dietician, I have no idea. She says it's something she recommends for everyone because of daily fluctuations.
    wait, you are 21. Why can't you just get a job and buy a scale for yourself and keep it in your room? I can understand if your parents don't want to buy a scale for the family, as that is asking them to spend their money.

Also, many locations have scales. My local grocery store has a scale built into the blood pressure station. If I didn't have a scale at home and didn't want to buy one I'd go over there once per week in the morning and weigh myself. You can also find these devices at pharmacies. Is there nothing like that near where you live?

As for daily vs weekly. That is personal preference. Most people who advocate weekly (or longer) do so because a lot of people who weigh daily get discouraged and quit all because of water weight fluctuations. I personally like to weigh daily.

I don't have a job at the moment, but I can easily buy a scale with my savings. I'd prefer not to hide it, because I think that's just unpleasant for everyone involved and a little childish. My parents wouldn't be buying it if I did get one, it's more about it existing in the house.

There are a number of pharmacies near me and none have scales, and only one has a blood pressure reader and none have scales. I have heard before about people having them in malls, but I've never seen them. Is that an American thing?

Uh, no...you are still an adult and can/should do your own thing. You are responsible for your own weight.

"Do not weigh daily" is a silly rule. Unless your weight fluctuates wildly or you are going to freak out about it, weighing every day is just fine. Why WOULDN'T you want more data?

Well that's why I'm asking. I am able to and can purchase a scale, I'm interested in whether it's worth defending and having a big discussion, and of course I would need facts and arguments to support that decision. I'm looking into making the decision to either press the issue and say "a scale is necessary because xyz" or leave it as is.

*sigh* I'm sorry, I find it odd that no one thinks a 21 year old living at home would need permission from parents to do things without some sort of conspiracy. The fact is I live in their house so I need to work with them rather than just doing whatever I want. When I go out, they need to know where I am and who I'm with, when I'll be home, and what I'm doing. If I'm making a life change, I need to run the pieces by them. Is this not normal? Are you not considerate with the people you live with? I've gotten this IRL too sometimes and it's just not something I understand. I'm giving my parents respect because I live with them. :/

While its good to be courteous to them if you are living at home you are still an adult. Its very weird that you are behaving like a grounded high school student instead of an adult. Unless you are utterly dependent on them and you are not employable for some reason. Even then its still weird. Respect is one thing but this seems different. But I also moved out when I was 17 and never went back. I would move to a homeless shelter first.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've known plenty of people on your situation. Different cultures or just different upbringing. Don't sweat it.

Its really your call given the facts. I would push for it. Even if you don't weigh daily-you do want an accurate scale. Explain why it's important to you-and maybe give some of the feedback here and show them a site like "trend weight". And promise your mom you'll hide it since she gets obsessed.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think that saying it is disrespectful to buy yourself something for yourself without asking your parents is inaccurate. I lived with my parents after college, and while I respected my mom's general wish that I be considerate and tell them when I was going out and when I would be back, neither I nor my mother found it disrespectful for me to buy something for my room. I didnt ask them if I could buy a new shirt, a certain shampoo, etc. So I don't see buying yourself a scale for your room as an issue. But you know your family dynamic better than any stranger on the forums would.
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Am I right?

I think it's odd that they need to know where you are at all times.
    I'm 21 and live on my own. I call my parents about once a week to chat. I would feel completely suffocated if they needed me to constantly be in touch. Even when I was in high school, I didn't have to contact them all the time.

There is a line between respect for your parents and time to grow up. At 21, you should have control over your weight and health, not your parents. Something as benign as a scale does not warrant a family discussion, but that's my opinion. If you're truly reluctant to get one you could measure yourself and get a scale if you stop seeing improvements in your measurements. That would be a valid argument if the time came.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Do you pay for the gym membership, or is it more of a community/ free thing? As a paying member, I'd be irritated if they didn't have a decent scale. Maybe you put in a suggestion for a new scale in the locker room.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Am I right?

OP, since you brought it up:

The relationship you have with your family is your own business, of course. And if your mom has a history with this sort of thing this is more understandable.

But as the father of two teenagers this does sound a bit unusual and restrictive to me. I can see discussing major changes in life with them, and being considerate is commendable, but asking for *permission* strikes me as odd. It's not like you're hosting a keg party. Maybe this is just cultural.
  • kiela64
    Options
    First - is there a reason you cannot get a scale for yourself and they can use it or not if they wish?

Second - I weigh daily because in the past, when I would only weigh once a week or every other week, I would get frustrated when I didn't see the change I expected. By weighing daily, it is a daily reminder that my weight can go up or down any given day, but so long as the trend is down I'm good. It also helps keep me accountable for cheating. If I go up significantly after "cheating" then I see an immediate cause-effect. This is just how my mind works though... Not necessarily the best for everyone.

Thank you for sharing. I see the logic there. I get frustrated being unable to see if my "good days" or my "off days" have made an impact. It might be useful with that. :)
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Personally, I do it daily. Same time each morning to get as consistent a reading as possible. I keep a log and review the trendline periodically.

The downside with weighing daily is that you do see days that you go up, with no direct discernible reason. These can be discouraging for some people. If that's you, weighing once a week is ok. I wouldn't go further out than that because it just means you end up waiting longer to spot a problem and make adjustments.

If you're trying to lose weight, a scale is the tool you need to determine that what you are doing works or not.

There are other measurements you can use, like body tape or calipers to estimate your body fat percentage. I'd use them in addition to a scale to help give you a little more insight into how you're doing.

Yes, I agree weekly would be a nice medium. I don't know whether or not I'd be worried about daily fluctuations. It would be nice to have more data points, but I'm unsure if it would disturb me if I went up, say 1lb for no reason. I'd have to see.

It does seem to be an important tool, I do have a measuring tape to use but no callipers. I think that might be more useful when I'm lighter, to see the muscle vs fat differentiation? at least that's what I understand. :)
    I weigh myself nearly everyday under as identical conditions as possible. I do weigh on the same scale in, the same room, in the morning prior to breakfast, after bathroom, in the buff. I like data and I don't get all worried if I go up a little for a day or even a few days. I track it in a spreadsheet with a trend line. The trend is what I concentrate on, as long as it is downward I do not freak. I record the lowest weight of the week on MFP to adjust my calorie goal and every loss in fitbit so it adjusts my calorie burn. I like to be able to see patterns in my weight fluctuations. The people on the national weight loss registry, those who have lost over 35 pounds and kept it off for more than a year, report weighing no less than once a week. I have seen people get a little crazy who weigh more than once a day, so I wouldn't recommend any more often.

Thanks! That's good to know, I'm liking this once a week idea. :)
    Also, your avatar makes me think of a bolt of mageweave cloth every time I see it.

Ahhh, nope just a yoga mat. I know I've asked a lot of questions lately :blush: This is all really new to me, so thanks for putting up with it lol.
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Generally, dietitians use this blanket recommendation to discourage people from obsessing. Many people do not understand daily fluctuations and will be disappointed if they don't lose (or gain) every day. It's part of the idea that the number isn't everything.

At the same time, fluctuations can more easily hide a loss if you only weigh once a week. Personally, I have an official weigh-in day 1x/week but I weigh every day. I've come to learn my body's fluctuations and can recognize as my high numbers start to decrease. So while I may lot have had an official loss in a week or two-I can see my high fluctuations going down. This is usually followed by a "whoosh". I think it's cool to watch.

You can get a good scale for $20-30. If the rest of your family doesn't want to weigh-can't you just keep it in your bedroom? Do you have a history of disordered eating that would account for them not wanting you to have a scale? (And perhaps the dietitians recommendation?) if you answer no-get yourself a scale.

Yeah, that makes sense. She uses those plastic models of food a lot, I'm guessing she has a lot of people who are not understanding things frequently.

That's my concern with weighing only monthly. Say, one time I'm on my period and it goes up - I think "well, hey that's why" but actually I've been unintentionally underreporting some food, and only find out a month later... :/

That's definitely my budget. We have carpeting everywhere, but I can definitely keep it in my room and only bring it out to weigh in the bathroom where there's tile. No disordered eating, but perhaps I am very large and they are worried about it becoming obsessive because this is a big change for me. I don't usually obsess though. I mean, my biggest "obsession" was Sherlock BBC for like a year, and then I stopped liking it after that.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You're going to lose the same amount whether you weigh yourself or not. It's not a necessity and if there isn't room or money for a scale, skip it and weigh once a month. No big whup.

I weigh daily because I like to do that. But sometimes I think it's a little wacky to weigh every single day. If someone stole the scale and I had to weigh monthly, I could live with it. :)

Yeah, I think if it's a big hassle I just won't get it. I just read on here so much that weighing daily or weekly is important, I thought it might be important to just know how I'm doing. Maybe it's not :)
    I would guess your dietician doesn't want you to get caught up and worried about tracking scale weight progress right off the bat. It is far less overwhelming to first just get calorie tracking, weighing your food and accurately logging down.

While I was losing, I was a weekly weigher, every Monday 1st thing to keep myself accountable over the weekends. When I was down to the last 8 pounds the weight slowed to about a half pound every 2-3 weeks so I backed off weighing to only every other week so I wouldn't get discouraged and give up. Now that I am in maintenance you can bet that I weigh and track my weight daily because I don't want to ever let my guard down again.

I know both my doctor and my son's doctor welcome us going into the nurse's station anytime to do a weight check. No charge and no appointment necessary. Perhaps a once a week trip to the nurse treatment station at your doctor's office would work for you.

Best wishes on getting started with your weight loss. Just remember, even though sometimes you might get a little frustrated or discouraged, keep with it, trust the process, work closely with your dietician and never give up :)

True, it really is the beginning. I haven't been here long, and I'm working on learning how to make balanced meals, start cooking, exercise, and physio for my knee. That sounds reasonable.

Hm, maybe! That's an idea :) Thanks! That's the plan!
    *shrugs*. I tend to discount absolute didactic advice.

I love my scale.

I weigh myself daily. I am reconciled to the reality that hydration, stress, sodium intake, amount of sleep, and biochemical factors (including menses) will affect the number on any given day.

Weighing daily can give you data to work with, including (if relevant) information about how your weight correlates to your cycle.

Your mileage may vary. If you are going to be upset by daily fluctuations, daily weighing may not be for you. As for whether to get one, your family dynamics are better known to you and your business.

My opinion is that you are a young adult; if you want to purchase a scale for your use, it is your responsibility to accumulate the funds and your privilege to spend those funds as you choose.

That may not work for you, for whatever reasons you have.

I recommend having a scale, and using it daily.

Thanks! I like the idea of data, but perhaps, as others are saying, it is too early to get one, and I should focus on other data like calories, protein grams, vegetable portions, and exercise minutes. I don't want to step on any toes at home about it, because it's not worth it to me to upset anyone. I do have a nice one bookmarked on amazon, if that changes.

Thanks for all your help guys! :)
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Am I right?

The relationship you have with your family is your own business, of course. And if your mom has a history with this sort of thing this is more understandable.

But as the father of two teenagers this does sound a bit unusual and restrictive to me. I can see discussing major changes in life with them, and being considerate is commendable, but asking for *permission* strikes me as odd. It's not like you're hosting a keg party. Maybe this is just cultural.

I would agree maybe it is cultural. Because even as a teen when I lived with my parents, once I had a job (16) I spent a portion of my money however I wished, within reason (ie, I didn't buy alcohol or drugs) but you aren't allowed to weigh yourself seems like a VERY controlling (possibly abusive) rule. Obviously, we wouldn't know your family or your dynamic, but it just seems that way.
  • kiela64
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »

Am I right?

That is what I am thinking. She might not work because she is in treatment and probably should NOT weigh herself which is maybe why her family doesn't want to get one.

I don't work because I'm in school and my resume and availability are terrible. I'm working on keeping a 4.0 gpa (90% average) which takes a lot of time for me. I do not have an eating disorder, unless you count obesity as an eating disorder which could be fair.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on the same scale right after I wake up and use the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything. It is enough information for me. I store the scale behind a cabinet in my dining room. I'm not hiding it but it doesn't need to be on display either.

You can certainly measure progress with a monthly weigh in.
    You can use a measuring tape and take body measurements.
    You can take a progress photo.
    You can have a test piece of clothing that you notice if it starts to fit looser.

I lived with my parents when I was 21. I would not have consulted them about buying a scale to weigh myself. I would have put it in my room and they would not have gone in there.

Maybe a friend or neighbor of yours has a scale you could use if you want to weigh more often.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm British (which I'm assuming the OP is), this is not cultural. Granted my being thrust into living on my own at 15 is unusual but most people with a more "normal" upbringing never had these restrictions on them at 16, let alone 21. There's being respectful then there's being suffocated and overprotected.

But if the OP is happy with the situation then it's not really our business. If you want to push for a scale do, it does sound like your mum is the one with issues and she's projecting majorly onto you. I have seen scales in malls here but in some time, I can't actually think of seeing one for public use anywhere in some time though.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options

As the mother of an eighteen-year-old boy, I can say most definitely not everyone is so considerate :) You sound like a lovely person.

Scales are reasonably small, and I think if you want one, you should tell your parents (or maybe only your father) you have decided you feel it will benefit you from a motivational standpoint, and go ahead and get one. Since it is a tool for better health, it's not the same as keeping a stash of cookies or drugs in their house. I would think you should be allowed to purchase a scale just as you should be permitted to purchase a blender, a phone, a razor, or any other common household/personal appliance you wish.

I bought a cheap digital one what must be a century ago and it still works perfectly - haven't even had to change the battery. You will want to get one that works on the flooring in your room - so if you have carpet it needs to have feet that are raised quite high. You can put it in an inconspicuous spot if it bothers your mother, or perhaps it is best she not even know about it if it could derail her.

I prefer to weigh daily, but I'm a data geek, so fluctuations don't bother me (usually). I think a scale is most useful when used in the same location, at the same time of day, in the same way: after you wake up, clothed vs naked, etc. I log daily with a free app called "My weight tracker" and am in a couple of groups on here where we weigh in weekly (one is on Friday and one is on Monday; my Monday weight is always higher than my Friday weight, but it is consistently so). I generally only log my weight once per week using MFP's check-in feature. The app shows me the general trend and also gives me a history of each month's total loss, which I like. Good luck with your decision!
  • kiela64
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

I was honestly surprised at how many people felt like it was strange, so I wanted to address that. It may be cultural, I have found it's mostly atheist/secular people who don't understand. I do have friends who can go out at all hours and say "hey mom I'm going out don't wait up" but that's not who my parents are. *shrugs*

I wish I had changed the wording of my questions now, because so much of this thread is questioning the situation without actually discussing the pros/cons of owning a scale *facepalm* :/
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought on this some more. Could you buy a measuring tape? You could get an idea of your weight at the gym, but inches lost will also give you something to work with. (And maybe it wouldn't be a trigger for your mom)

If you did buy one, I don't think you need to specifically hide the purchase from them, but maybe let your mom know you are trying to get healthy and for you that involves keeping track of your weight, but that you are willing to keep the scale in your own space so as not to tempt her to use it.
  • kiela64
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Do you pay for the gym membership, or is it more of a community/ free thing? As a paying member, I'd be irritated if they didn't have a decent scale. Maybe you put in a suggestion for a new scale in the locker room.

It's a paying gym, but it's also partially a charity because it has facilities and programs for physically and mentally handicapped people. Some of the equipment is donated, and they work to employ people with down syndrome, etc. The scale is by the water fountain off the running track. None in the locker rooms. I don't really feel like I can request it, but it is possible they will replace it eventually. :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought on this some more. Could you buy a measuring tape? You could get an idea of your weight at the gym, but inches lost will also give you something to work with. (And maybe it wouldn't be a trigger for your mom)

If you did buy one, I don't think you need to specifically hide the purchase from them, but maybe let your mom know you are trying to get healthy and for you that involves keeping track of your weight, but that you are willing to keep the scale in your own space so as not to tempt her to use it.

This is a great point. I also use a measuring tape, and some months the inches drop while the pounds don't. Some months the scale moves and the inches stay the same. Both are great tools.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »

Am I right?

That is what I am thinking. She might not work because she is in treatment and probably should NOT weigh herself which is maybe why her family doesn't want to get one.

I don't work because I'm in school and my resume and availability are terrible. I'm working on keeping a 4.0 gpa (90% average) which takes a lot of time for me. I do not have an eating disorder, unless you count obesity as an eating disorder which could be fair.

fair enough....it must be a cultural thing then. Because I don't understand the situation at all. If you want a scale just go buy one.
  • kiela64
    Options

As the mother of an eighteen-year-old boy, I can say most definitely not everyone is so considerate :) You sound like a lovely person.

Scales are reasonably small, and I think if you want one, you should tell your parents (or maybe only your father) you have decided you feel it will benefit you from a motivational standpoint, and go ahead and get one. Since it is a tool for better health, it's not the same as keeping a stash of cookies or drugs in their house. I would think you should be allowed to purchase a scale just as you should be permitted to purchase a blender, a phone, a razor, or any other common household/personal appliance you wish.

I bought a cheap digital one what must be a century ago and it still works perfectly - haven't even had to change the battery. You will want to get one that works on the flooring in your room - so if you have carpet it needs to have feet that are raised quite high. You can put it in an inconspicuous spot if it bothers your mother, or perhaps it is best she not even know about it if it could derail her.

I prefer to weigh daily, but I'm a data geek, so fluctuations don't bother me (usually). I think a scale is most useful when used in the same location, at the same time of day, in the same way: after you wake up, clothed vs naked, etc. I log daily with a free app called "My weight tracker" and am in a couple of groups on here where we weigh in weekly (one is on Friday and one is on Monday; my Monday weight is always higher than my Friday weight, but it is consistently so). I generally only log my weight once per week using MFP's check-in feature. The app shows me the general trend and also gives me a history of each month's total loss, which I like. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks! :) I like data too, though I'm thinking now that I'm going to wait until after the food scale has been implemented and just becomes part of the household to press for it again. If I can find one that will work well on carpet, then I'll do that for sure! Then I could just keep it in my room, which would be great.
  • kiela64
    Options

This is a great point. I also use a measuring tape, and some months the inches drop while the pounds don't. Some months the scale moves and the inches stay the same. Both are great tools.

Okay, that sounds good. I think I will track that first, then broach the topic of a scale later if I still feel like I need one. :)