Gaining weight without carbs or fat?

Options
Hello, I'm 19 and I was just diagnosed with high amalayse levels. I have lost a lot of weight over the past few weeks, and I need to gain it back. However, with my medical condition, I cannot eat much fat or carbohydrates without causing me pain.
Does anyone have an idea of how I can gain healthy weight fat and carb free?

Replies

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor this question?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »

This. Get a referral to a registered dietician familiar with your condition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    FoxyLifter wrote: »

This. Get a referral to a registered dietician familiar with your condition.

Cosigned
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That's a hard one, because the only thing left is protein. You really should talk to your doctor about diet, since this is very specialized.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr. Any advice you get from strangers could be well meaning but dangerous. Ask for a meal plan or a reference to a dietitian.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003464.htm
    The above link suggests that high amylase levels are not a diagnosis but a symptom. Do you know what is the reason for your high levels?

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/hyperamylasemia-high-amylase.aspx
    This site suggests for pancreatitis which you may or may not have to "Follow a diet that is low in fat, low in red meat, and high in fiber." That would be particularly soluble fibre which is found in fruit and vegetables and also in legumes. You can cook with olive oil just not too much of it. Note it doesn't say you can't eat carbohydrates.
  • SeraphimSkies
    SeraphimSkies Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've already talked to my doctor. I don't have pancreatitis, gallstones, etc.according to my tests they ran. She's the one that told me to have a low fat/low carbohydrate diet. They're still trying to find out what's wrong with me, but in the meantime I still need to eat.
    I somewhat figured that protein would be the way to go, but I wasn't sure if I was overlooking something.
    Thanks for the help.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    wolzl1 wrote: »
    I've already talked to my doctor. I don't have pancreatitis, gallstones, etc.according to my tests they ran. She's the one that told me to have a low fat/low carbohydrate diet. They're still trying to find out what's wrong with me, but in the meantime I still need to eat.
    I somewhat figured that protein would be the way to go, but I wasn't sure if I was overlooking something.
    Thanks for the help.

Well, you only have 3 macros to pick from. And two of them are essential for life. Maybe it would be beneficial to start with a moderate approach until they figure out what is wrong and get a lot of your foods from natural/whole sources.