How long to see any results?

Options
carr3107
carr3107 Posts: 26 Member
I've had the creep of 5 pounds in two successive horrible winters. I really only need to lose about 12 lbs. I've tried to lose weight over and over the last 2 years but I stick to my calories for about 3 weeks and lose at most a pound that then shows up again 2-3 days later. After seenkng no results I get discouraged and stop tracking again. I'm baffled because the laws of thermodynamics say I should be losing weight.

When I was younger I could drop 5 lbs easily, but since I turned 35 it's been a fight for every ounce.

Any suggestions? Does it really take a month or more to see any results?

Replies

• mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Have you tried gradually decreasing your calories? and if you haven't got much to lose it will take longer.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Weigh. Your. Food.

Seriously, you'll get more results knowing exactly how much you are putting into your body than you will knowing how much gravity is affecting you on a scale at any particular moment. Most of us underestimate how much we eat, and are taking in way more calories that we think we are.
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    one pound of fat is about 3500 calories. So you need to either eat under your BMI or burn more without eating the extra calories. MFP lets you set to either lose 1 or 2 lbs per week. 1lb is a 500 calorie deficit and 2lbs is a 1000 calorie deficit. I would suggest the 1lb/week rate and be sure to count everything you ingest.

Set your activity to the lowest setting and don't bother using the exercise calculator to add calories.

Your weight will fluctuate several pounds throughout the day/week as well. I lost 13 lbs my first week and then stayed the exact same weight to the decimal for 6 days straight. the next week I lost another 10. Also note that if you start a new exercise routine your muscles will retain a lot more water for a while, causing a gain of 5ish lbs. A full bladder or poo can also throw the scale off a couple pounds.

If you are close to a healthy weight then yoy aren't going to notice it right away. It's going to take several weeks to see the change. And if you ever start eating over your BMI again you will gain it back.
  • bud08
    bud08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and I hear ya. I haven't lost anything since I started again and I am ending my 4th week of getting serious. My eats are on track and portioned but it is stubborn! I did lose 2 inches this week so it is a good start!
  • tracyledyard
    tracyledyard Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I would not set your weight loss goal for more than .5 lb loss a week. It will take a LONG time unless you do something drastic, which I don't recommend. I am still trying to figure it all out as well, even after 9 months of tracking. Personally, I am slowly lowering my calories from 1600 per day. MFP told me to eat 1270 a day and that is just too drastic. Trying to find the highest calorie intake that will still allow me to lose .5 lbs a week. I would be happy to lose 5 - 10 lbs. It's HARD!!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    carr3107 wrote: »
    I've had the creep of 5 pounds in two successive horrible winters. I really only need to lose about 12 lbs. I've tried to lose weight over and over the last 2 years but I stick to my calories for about 3 weeks and lose at most a pound that then shows up again 2-3 days later. After seenkng no results I get discouraged and stop tracking again. I'm baffled because the laws of thermodynamics say I should be losing weight.

When I was younger I could drop 5 lbs easily, but since I turned 35 it's been a fight for every ounce.

Any suggestions? Does it really take a month or more to see any results?

Your slow weight creep suggests you're just eating just a little more than your body needs to maintain so the good news is that if you carefully track all your food (weigh and measure everything) , you can figure out where you might be able to to adjust your eating/activity so that you can keep the weight off over the long term. If you are sure you are eating a a deficit, then those occasional fluctuations up are just that so don't get discouraged if you seem to be on track and then see a blip. That can be caused by things like eating more sodium and carbs than normal for a few meals, hormones, food waste, etc., but if you really didn't overeat by thousands of calories a gain is really unlikely to be a true gain. Just wait it out. If you are truly eating at a deficit, it WILL come off eventually.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Also when are you weighing yourself... the best time to weight yourself and this has been proven.. is first thing after you wake up in the morning, right after you empty your bladder.. and naked.... it is the best time to get an accurate account of your weight.. there is no access water in your muscles and your body is naturally relaxed. If your weighting later in the day.. your going to have water weight to account for and that can flucuate tons depending on your activity level and your fitness level.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks today ... and really and truely logging just exactly what I have been eating.. even if for the day it is over what the program says I can have... Then I have also been actually logging my excersise and its not until the last week that I have actually really made sure that I have been trying to eat at a deficate... It does work.. because sine I started at 218... as of this morning.. the day before my weekly weigh-in.. I am down to 215.5 so I can tell you that the program works... but you have to be super diligent and honest about what it is your eating..

If you do all of this.. and use all of this as encouragement and stay active here and log your intake... and then really tighten down... you can do this...

You gotta start some where... so start here and now... make the change.
  • enigmarm
    enigmarm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can relate with you. For 4 months, I took an early-morning military physical fitness class. It was 3 days a week, for 45-60 minutes. It was torturous! But I felt so good.
    I knew that the weight on the scale isn't always an accurate measurement of the progress you made. So I had my body fat measured at a clinic (where they pinch your fat in various places and measure it).
    After the end of the 4 months, I had my weight & body fat measured again. I gained weight & FAT. My body fat % had increased! I could understand if I had gained weight by adding muscle, but that wasn't the case.

So I became pretty discouraged. I eventually chalked up the body fat % increase to error at the student health center in using their equipment.
    While I hadn't previously measured my waistline/chest/biceps, etc. I knew I was stronger. And my clothes fit a little better. And I had the ability to run for 5 miles straight. I had never done that ever!

My recommendations:
    • MFP allows you to enter in custom body measurements (neck, waist, chest, thigh, etc). I'd recommend doing that at the beginning. And then don't check for 4 weeks.
    • Measure all of your food. (get a cheap $10-$20 food scale on Amazon.com)
    • Exercise!
      I've previously spent weeks/months measuring my food and eating around 1300-1500 calories (MRP estimates I should be eating 2200). You'd think that alone would induce weight lost. Not for me. I only see positive results when doing lots of cardio / interval running.
    • Remove unhealthy sugars from your diet!
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It actually did take me just about a month before I was able to observe a physical difference. When we see ourselves every day it's normally too difficult for the human eye to register all the teeny tiny changes our bodies are making. When all those little changes have had enough time to add up, then it registers.

As some others have mentioned, periodically taking body measurements helps. As for the scale thing, flux happens. I've watched the scale read one number and then jump up 2-3 lbs a day later, too. Focusing on daily up and down changes can drive some people nuts. Plotting weight to observe monthly or longer term trends works well for quite a few of us.
  • carr3107
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We've had 2 record setting cold winters here, and a tendon injury benched me for several months.

Yes, I weigh myself second thing in the morning with no clothes. I know all the tricks - but unless I'm wildly, wildly off on my calorie count, basic thermodynamics says the scale should move, and it's not moving even a .1 of a pound. I'm not gaining muscle, trust me. It's not that I'm not seeing physical changes - the scale does.not.move.

I may well be undercounting, but I should still see a pound in 2 weeks even if I was off by 30%, and I see zip.

1500 calories is really hard, and sticking to it day after day for weeks and seeing nothing is demoralizing to say the least.

Could my RMR be freakishly low? How would you even be able to measure that?

I've gained just enough weight that I am really uncomfortable in my body. I feel like my tummy gets in my way and it's horrible.
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a digital food scale losing weight is nigh impossible.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    We've had 2 record setting cold winters here, and a tendon injury benched me for several months.

Yes, I weigh myself second thing in the morning with no clothes. I know all the tricks - but unless I'm wildly, wildly off on my calorie count, basic thermodynamics says the scale should move, and it's not moving even a .1 of a pound. I'm not gaining muscle, trust me. It's not that I'm not seeing physical changes - the scale does.not.move.

I may well be undercounting, but I should still see a pound in 2 weeks even if I was off by 30%, and I see zip.

1500 calories is really hard, and sticking to it day after day for weeks and seeing nothing is demoralizing to say the least.

Could my RMR be freakishly low? How would you even be able to measure that?

I've gained just enough weight that I am really uncomfortable in my body. I feel like my tummy gets in my way and it's horrible.

Please kindly manage your expectations. It is a slow process. I concur with @tracyledyard to set a 0.5 pounds target loss per week. Do not focus on the scale only , like @enigmarm suggested, measure different parts of your body , log it and repeat in 4 weeks.
    Eat at a deficit. Measure all of your liquid food and weigh all the solid food you eat.
    You will need discipline, persistence and tons of patience. Slow and steady wins the race
    Good luck in your healthy journey

• aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    agreed with the above suggestions, its not your RMR, its not your body's thermodynamic calorie burning efforts- if you are not weighing or measuring out your food, you are probably not eating at a deficit. There is nothing to blame, stop looking for an excuse or an easy out, I know you are frustrated and feeling discouraged, but its the truth, weighing and measuring is the key
  • carr3107
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm aware of the principles of weight loss. I'll try with the food scale again, but it's so discouraging. Why is this so hard now?

I do appreciate all the encouragement, but I have done all the right things more than once this year. I've truly measured and done an accurate count. I lost 2 pounds one week but it reappeared 2 days later - and i did not eat an extra 7000 calories in 2 days.

Back to my original question - if I do everything perfectly should I be expecting weeks and weeks until I see any loss? I've managed 3 weeks at a time (more than once) of that precision (weighing, etc) and seen nothing. If you're going strictly by thermodynamics, that should be impossible.

A low RMR isn't an "easy" way out. If it is exceptionally low, this is even harder. Trying to lose weight is miserable for me, and if I'm shooting for the wrong target it's an exercise in futility. I'm 5'4" so I don't have a lot of room to cut to start with.

10 years ago (age 27), I could do WW points or a loose calorie count and drop a visible 5 lbs in a month. I weighed less and had less muscle mass but my metabolism was obviously higher. So what's different now?

Is there a way to measure RMR? I might be less frustrated if I knew what my real target was. Right now I'm just banging my head against the wall.

I know from experience I will not see a lot of changes until I lose about 4 pounds.

I hate my body but the idea of starting again when I've failed so many times is overwhelming.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    With so little to lose - yes, you should expect to wait several weeks for a noticeable change. You should be aiming for 0.5 lbs per week, and your body's water weight can fluctuate several lbs per day, so a 0.5 lb loss per week could easily be hidden by water weight fluctuations for several weeks.

If you haven't been doing progressive strength training, your muscle mass could have declined over those 10 years, and hormones can affect your metabolism as well. Plus, if you aren't using a food scale, you have to keep in mind that our perception of "eating a lot" "eating a little" "trying hard" "being active" can change over time. Maybe eating less was just easier for you 10 years ago due to life circumstances. Maybe your day-to-day lifestyle was a little more active back then, so you were burning a few more calories.

Use a food scale and be patient!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm aware of the principles of weight loss. I'll try with the food scale again, but it's so discouraging. Why is this so hard now?

I do appreciate all the encouragement, but I have done all the right things more than once this year. I've truly measured and done an accurate count. I lost 2 pounds one week but it reappeared 2 days later - and i did not eat an extra 7000 calories in 2 days.

Back to my original question - if I do everything perfectly should I be expecting weeks and weeks until I see any loss? I've managed 3 weeks at a time (more than once) of that precision (weighing, etc) and seen nothing. If you're going strictly by thermodynamics, that should be impossible.

A low RMR isn't an "easy" way out. If it is exceptionally low, this is even harder. Trying to lose weight is miserable for me, and if I'm shooting for the wrong target it's an exercise in futility. I'm 5'4" so I don't have a lot of room to cut to start with.

10 years ago (age 27), I could do WW points or a loose calorie count and drop a visible 5 lbs in a month. I weighed less and had less muscle mass but my metabolism was obviously higher. So what's different now?

Is there a way to measure RMR? I might be less frustrated if I knew what my real target was. Right now I'm just banging my head against the wall.

I know from experience I will not see a lot of changes until I lose about 4 pounds.

I hate my body but the idea of starting again when I've failed so many times is overwhelming.

You're water weight fluctuates greatly throughout the day, so that may be impacting. Don't get discouraged and think long term.

Age has little to do with it, decreased muscle mass has a bit more, but you caloric intake and output are by far the biggest drivers.

...and yes, until you have a medically diagnosed decrease in metabolic rate it is an easy way out. I have hypothyroidism and have lost over 50lbs in the last year, so even with a decreased metabolic rate it is possible. Just be patient, keep logging, develop a plan and stick with it.

I don't take too much from posts as you never know what the writer indented to convey, but I hope you have a better self image and don't hate your body.

...and failure - that's nothing more than a learning process to success.
  • carr3107
    Options
    I just want to scream because it's freaking 12 pounds. People manage to lose 100 with less of a struggle than this has been.

I USED the food scale when I was counting with futility. I've done this 3 times (3 weeks at a time) this year. I get so discouraged at that point I just give up. I have to muster the energy to try again. Every time I get more and more frustrated.

If it's been a bust 3 seperate times, either the scale was wrong or my target was wrong.

Going below 1500 calories is very hard. (I'm 5'4", lightly active according to my fitbit but I use sedentary in the calculation .5 lbs a week loss gives me 1473). I suppose my alternative is to try for 1300 calories a day and see if that works.

I totally get that I have to suck it up for months and months to lose 12 freaking pounds while none of my clothes fit or I have to live in this my body, but I'd really like to know if my target calories are way off.

I lift weights now, so I know I have more muscle mass. I worked 80 hours a week back then -definitely not more active. The difference between the calculated RMR for this weight at age 27 and at 37 is 50 calories.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Going below 1500 calories is very hard. (I'm 5'4", lightly active according to my fitbit but I use sedentary in the calculation .5 lbs a week loss gives me 1473). I suppose my alternative is to try for 1300 calories a day and see if that works.

I'd really like to know if my target calories are way off.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you follow these instructions, your goal will be TDEE minus a reasonable deficit for your size:

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I just want to scream because it's freaking 12 pounds. People manage to lose 100 with less of a struggle than this has been.

I USED the food scale when I was counting with futility. I've done this 3 times (3 weeks at a time) this year. I get so discouraged at that point I just give up. I have to muster the energy to try again. Every time I get more and more frustrated.

If it's been a bust 3 separate times, either the scale was wrong or my target was wrong.

I totally get that I have to suck it up for months and months to lose 12 freaking pounds while none of my clothes fit or I have to live in this my body, but I'd really like to know if my target calories are way off.

I lift weights now, so I know I have more muscle mass. I worked 80 hours a week back then -definitely not more active. The difference between the calculated RMR for this weight at age 27 and at 37 is 50 calories.

Hang in there and stay positive. Are you seeing any other positive gains - increase in stamina, endurance, strength, etc?

You didn't put the weight on in 3 weeks, so set a more realistic goal - anywhere from 12-24 weeks.

Bodies don't react immediately, so this will take some time. With your increase in muscle mass you will start seeing some gains in the future.

• carr3107
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been lifting weights for several years, so just incremental gains at this point.

I've had no improvement on anything at all. Intense cardio is problematic for me as I have (permanent) tendon dysfunction in both feet. My clothes still don't fit, I'm uncomfortable in my body to say the least and I alternate between intense frustration and feeling like a failure.

I'm short, so 12 extra pounds sent me into the "women's" department and those clothes don't fit well.

I'm sorry I'm spewing. 12 years ago, I gained 15 lbs after a death in the family. I was able to lose it in about 4 months and it wasn't half as difficult as now. I know the weight loss drill, and what should be working isn't. I've gained and lost +/- 5 lbs here and there relatively easily my entire adult life, but I've fought every ounce these last few years.

I ordered a food scale for my office too so I can weigh fruit or didn't weigh my lunch before I left home.

It turns out the local community college does RMR testing cheaply. I can do that in a couple of weeks so I at least know what my target is.