Needing new clothes

In 4 months I've lost almost 40 of 100 pounds. :) My clothes are getting baggier and baggier. I hate buying clothes and don't want to waste money buying clothes I can only use for a few months. Ideas on a cost effective way to still look professional during this transition?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Thrift stores. Consignment stores.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    thrift stores and places like Burlington coat factory and tjmaxx
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 199 Member
    I lost over 200 pounds in less than a year... you can imagine how many sizes I went through... size 60" waist to 32"... 4XL shirt to Medium... Thrift stores have saved my wallet along the way! And I have been wearing new/almost new Ralph Lauren, Izod, Brooks Brothers... all under $10 each!
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Thrift stores
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I shop sale racks and think long term. When I first buy a pair of pants or a top, I don't ever put it through the dryer. Once it starts to get baggy, I'll put it in the dryer on low. If it gets really baggy I'll put it on high.

I also dress in a way that can disguise a bit of bagginess. I work in an office. If I'm not wearing a dress, I wear a black t-shirt (plus pants or a skirt) almost every single day. I have 8 or 9 plain black t-shirts with different necklines for this. If I t-shirt gets baggy, I wear a jacket or a twinset-style sweater over it and the bagginess is not noticeable.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    I have lost 65 pounds with about 10 more to go. My whole outfit is from goodwill today. Except shoes. Usually expensive. My feet have shrunk some also so be prepared. I look for decent brands like loft, banana republic and jcrew. I like broken in things that won't shrink so it's a win win for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I've lost 89 pounds and gone from a size 24-26 to size 10-12. I know about having to replace entire wardrobes and how freaking expensive it gets!

I was never very lucky with thrift stores and have stuck to eBay and Wal-Mart for cheaper clothes. Tried Kohls, but the shirts fall apart after one washing, so I'm done with them. I do buy some new stuff, wear it a few times and then sell it on eBay, but it usually sells for about 1/2 the cost which ends up netting me about 1/3 back. So I get a little wear out of the old thing and then a little wear out of the used thing, kinda-sorta like 2 for 1 except that one of the two is used.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    cassiea00 wrote: »
    In 4 months I've lost almost 40 of 100 pounds. :) My clothes are getting baggier and baggier. I hate buying clothes and don't want to waste money buying clothes I can only use for a few months. Ideas on a cost effective way to still look professional during this transition?

Look up local thrift stores in your area.

www.thethriftshopper.com has an option to search for local thrift stores by zip code.

I've bought most of my clothing when I was losing weight at GoodWill, Salvation Army, other local thrift stores, TJMaxx, Marshalls, & Ross. Most thrift stores will have certain days that items are half off or certain tags are a percentage off.

You could also look on Craigslist or Freecycle.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Congratulations on the successes you've had so far. Like the others, I would opt to stretch my clothing budget with thrift stores and bargain outlets. Check the stuff over carefully because sometimes there is a faded patch of fabric or a seam coming undone, but over all, a lot of good quality pieces turn up there.
  • MoCo88
    MoCo88 Posts: 11 Member
    I have been using a rental service that is like Netflix for clothing. It is sizes 10-32 (I think). It is not cheap - about $80/month to have up to 3 pieces of clothing at a time, but you can keep them as long as you want or send them right back. Not sure if you are in the U.S. or not, also not sure if we can promote a specific company, but Google plus size clothing rental and see what you find. The service I'm using has a 30 day free trial. I probably have about 9 months to go before I reach my goal weight, but I'd rather keep spending $80/month than keep buying clothes that won't fit for long.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    I buy tops that can be worn through several sizes and replace bottoms when I need to. I find that if I keep one pair of black dress pants that fit reasonably well, and wear a belt, i can avoid having to spend too much on clothing. The exception is bras. I always have one or two that fit (or are a little snug) and wash them frequently.

Yes, I have gone through a few sizes in the last 19 months:
    58841349.png
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I get my clothes taken in by a seamstress when I lose. She can get a shirt or a pair of pants down one to two sizes with it still looking o.k.
    I buy a few beautiful items for a very basic wardrobe.
  • Benevolay
    Benevolay Posts: 18 Member
    I know that feel. I've lost nearly 150 lbs. and I'm still wearing the 5xl pants that I used to wear. I absolutely refuse to waste money on clothes until I reach the end of my journey. Well, for the most part. I bought new underwear and I bought some around-the-house pants that I can exercise in. But all of my shirts are still 5xl and I have to use a belt to keep my jeans up when I leave the house. Am I being crazy? Maybe. But I'm fine with being crazy.

68787447.png
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I like wearing clothes that are a bit too large for me (except for pants, as they tend to fall down) as it keeps people from noticing the weight I've lost. All of my fat, fatter, and fatter than fatter clothes were bought at yard sales or Goodwill, as I refused to admit the weight I gained was permanent. Now I have a very limited wardrobe - a pair of black slacks, couple of pairs of capris, and about eight shirts - four of which are way too large for me. I can't wait to wear the blue/black dress I bought about eight years ago when I first said I was going to lose weight to fit into that dress. I'm almost there!!!! Another six or eight pounds . . . and when I can wear that dress, peoples' eyes are going to go gaga and they will finally notice that yes! I have indeed lost weight!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    I think you should get one new thing that looks great and makes you feel great. Wrap dresses are a perfect option that offers flexible fit as your weigh changes.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    If you have a sewing machine, sew them smaller. That is what I do :-)