A serious question...

Options
So I posted this question on my blog to get some ideas from my friends and family. They took it lightly when to me it is a serious question. So this is the situation....

Over the weekend I tore a hole in the only pair of pants I own that fit. I have a whole wardrobe that I can kinda fit into, but they won't really fit :grumble: for a few more weeks if I keep loosing at the same rate I am now. I'm not really in a position financially to get some clothes in the mean time. So here is my question... Do I wear the obviously too small pants or do I risk being constantly overdressed and only wear dresses for the next few weeks?

Replies

• debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So I posted this question on my blog to get some ideas from my friends and family. They took it lightly when to me it is a serious question. So this is the situation....

Over the weekend I tore a hole in the only pair of pants I own that fit. I have a whole wardrobe that I can kinda fit into, but they won't really fit :grumble: for a few more weeks if I keep loosing at the same rate I am now. I'm not really in a position financially to get some clothes in the mean time. So here is my question... Do I wear the obviously too small pants or do I risk being constantly overdressed and only wear dresses for the next few weeks?
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Bad luck, how about getting a really funny patch to stick over the hole in the pants that fit - a "smiley" would be perfect!!! :bigsmile:
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    Maybe you will only have to wear the dresses for a week and then fit in your old wardrobe? Or mix it up wear the dresses when critical and the to small pants when you feel comfertable doing so.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind shopping at a thrift store (you can actually get some nice clothes there) you could get a few clothes for a minimal amount of money to tide you over for the next few weeks.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I would personally pick up a few low priced thrift store clothes. I actually have been doing that since I started. I just don't have the income to buy an expensive wardrobe.

You can still mix it up with some dresses and even put a patch on your pants.

Good luck.:smile:
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind shopping at a thrift store (you can actually get some nice clothes there) you could get a few clothes for a minimal amount of money to tide you over for the next few weeks.

i agree! i love to "thrift" and i am always so pleased when i find something nice at a cheap price! :happy:
  • wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the thrift store idea. You could find a nice pair of jeans or other casual pants for as little as 2 bucks!
    My question is, how fancy are these dresses? Are they for a more formal event or do you, personally, just feel overdressed in them? I love dresses and skirts and there are many ways to dress them down AND up.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You must need the pants for work???

If so I would just wear dresses for the week, be pretty! You can use this as motivation to get into the next smaller size. If you have any friends or family that are about your size or have lost weight see if they have any pants in your size that you can borrow or keep.

Other than that, retailers are preparing for spring and summer and you can find some really cheap pants at places like Target, walmart, lane bryant etc. I have gone to lane bryant this time of year and found pants for about 10-12 bucks. The thrift store idea is great too because you know you are shopping for pants that only need to be used for a couple of weeks.. because you are going to get to the smaller size! :happy:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Dresses
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    What size jeans do you wear? Maybe someone here has a pair that have recently become a little too big (hopefully not too small) that they would send to you. I don't know what everyone does with clothes that don't fit anymore but certainly with all the people that are losing weight there has to be some clothes out there that are not being used. I know I have a few things that don't fit me anymore that I would gladly pass on to someone if they could use them...I am sure there are others that would do the same!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    What size jeans do you wear? Maybe someone here has a pair that have recently become a little too big (hopefully not too small) that they would send to you. I don't know what everyone does with clothes that don't fit anymore but certainly with all the people that are losing weight there has to be some clothes out there that are not being used. I know I have a few things that don't fit me anymore that I would gladly pass on to someone if they could use them...I am sure there are others that would do the same!

I have some clothes you are welcome to if they are your size. I will pay for the shipping too. Let me know.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    I am between sizes as well, so I bought myself some super- cheap clothes (like thrift-store cheap), that they sell at Loblaws. They continue to garner rave reviews.

Depending on where the rip is in your pants, could you wear a long shirt or something to cover it up? You could also treat yourself to a new pair of workout pants, which you can pick up quite cheaply (I got mine for $14), and wear those for the next couple weeks.

Or, as another poster suggested, ask around and see if anyone has anything in your size.
  • anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that shops at the Family Thrift store on Juan Tabo (next to the old Hastings near Constitution) and she finds some really amazing things there. This is a lady who is very particular about how she looks. She doesn't have to shop there, she just gets tickled when she finds something nice for next to nothing. The store also has promotions like "Today everything green is half off". I also might have something you could wear...depending on the size, but my inseam is 35" so you might need to us scissors!

Are you as tired of this snow and cold nasty wind as I am? Seems like I'll never get back to walking!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and help. I definitely didn't expect anyone to offer me their clothes. I really appreciate that! :smile: I think if I work hard enough I might be able to fit into my small clothes this weekend or next. My scale broke so I don't have that tool to measure by and constantly retrying on my clothes is getting depressing. If anyone has anything they just want to get rid of, I wear a 16-18.

anothergoat, I am so tired of the cold and we've only had it for a little while! I can't wait to get outside and put some variety into my workout!
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    wearing leggings under dresses is really fashionable where i live right now, for a sort of casual dress look.
  • tekrueger
    Options
    Debuckl,
    I think a lot of us are in your same situation! I

To give you an idea of my situation, the pants on my two remaining fitting suits are too big; I wear a european size 50 belt with size 54 or 56 pants! And, money for a new wardrobe right now? let's not talk about that :frown: ).
    Hang in there, you probably are looking A LOT better than before and that will gloss over the little stuff about clothes being too big or too small.
    Thomas
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Go with the dresses and just don't worry about it. If someone asks why you are wearing them just tell because you can and they make you feel good. I have 4 pairs of pants to my name and I had to crawl under a bus to fix chains yesterday in dirty slush. I wish I had a job that I could wear dresses to. Though Iagree with the others about the thrift store option and have bought clothes there.BUT only if you can afford to.
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    I think that if you aren't comfortable in the dresses, then don't wear them. I for one haven't been in a dress since the day I got married- over two years ago- and before that I think it had been since my high school prom, so I understand if you're not comfortable in them. I also have ripped my pants and not been able to go buy a new pair, so I hit the thrift stores. Also depending on the whole maybe you can patch it with out it being too noticeable. I always seem to rip the inseams from riding too much. If the pants weren't too tight to begin with you can turn them inside out and sew them back up. Be sure to make a few passes otherwise they will just rip again. Good luck and remember that you are getting healthier!! Also maybe it's a blessing in disguise that your scale broke because sometimes they can be really depressing. I finally had to move mine out to the garage so that I wouldn't be getting on it everyday and getting down if it didn't move from day-to-day. Besides I think that our clothes are the best judge anyway.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you look in the men's department at Walmart, I always find pants for $5 there. Not in the womens..... They hide them in the mens' dept because they know men won't pay a lot for pants and stuff like women will. I bought tons of sweat pants about a month ago for like $4.88 each.

And don't forget the sizes are different! So try them on first!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have a size 16 pair of jeans that are practically new, no regular pants in that size, if you need them let me know.