Weight loss vs. Muscle gain - help me make sense!

Options
Hello all,

I'm hoping for some feedback, and maybe some of you can relate to my question?

I've probably lost the same 20 pounds 5 times over the past decade, and it's usually fairly easy with close attention to my eating habits and regular exercise. This time has been different and I'm getting frustrated.

I love Pure Barre, and take class 3-5 times a week. That has been the extent of my exercise for the past two years. I wear my heart rate monitor every once in a while, and classes average a 400 calorie burn.

However, over the past 2 months while keeping up with this schedule and eating very clean, I have seen ZERO drop on the scale. Unfortunately, the last time I took measurements was 2 years ago when I was 1 year postpartum and still nursing.

I am up 15 pounds from 2 years ago, but my measurements are nearly identical. Would you assume this to mean I've gained some muscle? And, to see an actual weight loss I need to add active cardio?

Replies

• kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's doubtful that you gained 15 pounds of muscle and lost 15 pounds of fat in two months. If you are a high school or collegiate-aged male athlete, AND just starting weight training, maybe.

To lose weight, eat a little less. -250 calories/day should be enough to make the scale start moving. And now you have baseline measurements. You're already exercising enough, and you love it. So don't add more that you won't like.

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, ou may have gained some muscle. No, it's probably not all muscle gain. I'd say there's more fat, if I were guessing...which I guess I am.

Do some exercise every day. Lifting weights is good for you - helps makes nice,strong bones. Do that. But cardio is good for your cardiovascular system (hence the name) and burns more fat. Don't skip the cardio! Swimming is awesome cardio, if you can swing it.

If you aren't losing, either start weighing all your food to get more accurate calorie estimates or drop your calorie total down 100 every two weeks until you begin losing.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Same measurements? Then it is fair to say your body composition likely improved a bit. Maybe not all 15 pounds, but you are near where you were.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    In 2 years it is possible you have gained muscle, but probably not 15 lbs of it if you weren't actively working towards that.

As for weight loss, you will need to crack down on your logging. It doesn't matter how clean you eat if you are eating too many calories. Weigh all your solids/semi solids. Measure all your liquids. Make sure you are including all oils and butters you use when you are cooking. Double check the database entries you are using.
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was running the same way two years ago as I am now but didn't lose much weight at all. This time, I am reducing my food intake by calculating calories then I see the progress. I think food really matters rather than exercising. I've lost some body fat as well but gaining muscle is a long process, I found. But I do lots of toning now that I see some results
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm hoping for some feedback, and maybe some of you can relate to my question?

I've probably lost the same 20 pounds 5 times over the past decade, and it's usually fairly easy with close attention to my eating habits and regular exercise. This time has been different and I'm getting frustrated.

I love Pure Barre, and take class 3-5 times a week. That has been the extent of my exercise for the past two years. I wear my heart rate monitor every once in a while, and classes average a 400 calorie burn.

However, over the past 2 months while keeping up with this schedule and eating very clean, I have seen ZERO drop on the scale. Unfortunately, the last time I took measurements was 2 years ago when I was 1 year postpartum and still nursing.

I am up 15 pounds from 2 years ago, but my measurements are nearly identical. Would you assume this to mean I've gained some muscle? And, to see an actual weight loss I need to add active cardio?

I assume this is a ballet class...an HRM will not give you an accurate read on calories for that type of activity ...take 50% maximum

You can eat clean but you also have to weigh and log

You have not put on much muscle without a progressive resistance programme and a great attention to diet...possibly a few pounds over the years at most ..you are female it is not easy to gain muscle.

You are eating above your maintenance and in the last 2 months you have dropped to eating at maintenance

If you wish to drop weight then you need to tighten up your logging and eat at a defecit

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1