Belly roll, but doctor said to stop losing weight? Help!

Options
Basics:
Female, 5'7", 124lbs (down from 154)
BMI: 19.4
Body fat %: 27.3
Eating at deficit: 1250 cal/day
Protein: Worked to increase it from 30g to 50-60g/day (I don't know how to increase this more without adding total calories.)
Workouts: Recently new to weightlifting while still keeping some running/HIIT/cardio

I know you can't spot reduce. I know everyone says the only way to "see" abs is to lose weight. I've had a goal to get to 18.4 BMI (technically "underweight") just to see if I can do it and then probably maintain at the weight I am now. Even without these 7lbs I doubt the belly roll will go away. So what's a good strategy to attack the belly roll?

However, the body fat% is troubling to me since it's just in the "acceptable/average" range. I've been reading how the key to dropping body fat and maintaining weight is weightlifting, which is why I just started. My 2 questions here are:
1. Will the weightlifting be effective in "recomping" (barely know what that means) if I'm still in deficit?
2. How exactly does weightlifting impact abs since I seems to be working all the muscle groups except the abs?!

Any/all input is welcomed.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Basics:
    Female, 5'7", 124lbs (down from 154)
    BMI: 19.4
    Body fat %: 27.3
    Eating at deficit: 1250 cal/day
    Protein: Worked to increase it from 30g to 50-60g/day (I don't know how to increase this more without adding total calories.)
    Workouts: Recently new to weightlifting while still keeping some running/HIIT/cardio

I know you can't spot reduce. I know everyone says the only way to "see" abs is to lose weight. I've had a goal to get to 18.4 BMI (technically "underweight") just to see if I can do it and then probably maintain at the weight I am now. Even without these 7lbs I doubt the belly roll will go away. So what's a good strategy to attack the belly roll?

However, the body fat% is troubling to me since it's just in the "acceptable/average" range. I've been reading how the key to dropping body fat and maintaining weight is weightlifting, which is why I just started. My 2 questions here are:
    1. Will the weightlifting be effective in "recomping" (barely know what that means) if I'm still in deficit?
    2. How exactly does weightlifting impact abs since I seems to be working all the muscle groups except the abs?!

Any/all input is welcomed.

1. Why are you still going to be in a deficit if your doctor told you to stop losing weight?
    2.Why are you still going to be in a deficit if your doctor told you to stop losing weight?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Start by reading this https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

1) in a recomp you eat maintenance, not a defecit.
    2) in a good structured program (which one are you doing?) abs get worked indirectly.

I have been underweight and still had bellyfat and no visible abs.
    Drop that plan, getting your weight that low absolutely sucks. It can make you feel absolutely miserable.
    Focus on reducing bodyfat through recomp and not dropping overall weight to an unhealthy level. That is imo the only healthy way to attack the belly roll.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    There are some great stickies in the discussions ... "how to recomp" or "how to get a flat stomach"... I am sure someone will come along and post them for you.
    I am in the same boat, right weight still belly.... you are on the right track with doing weights. Heavy lifting.

1. yes.... find those stickies.
    2. you engage your core muscles, which is strengthening your stomach. ie, like strong lifts 5x5, be sure you are doing the correct weight lifting exercises.

I am sure other will come along and explain it better for you... but you are on the right path..
    Good Luck. Great job on the weight loss!!
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply @DavPul! Why still in deficit? Two things:
    1. As I stated I'm still striving for a temporary achievement of 18.4 BMI.
    2. I'm mentally freaked out about gaining weight.

A few weeks ago when I reduced my cardio to add weightlifting I gained a pound over two weeks (& I highly doubt it was muscle since I'd just started). Then last week I was on vacation during which I pretty much ate whatever I wanted (including piles of ice cream), didn't workout, but somehow maintained my weight exactly. I'm very confused about what's going on! Thoughts?
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you @rushfive. I've tried reading that "recomp" thread about 10 times and don't understand most of it. :(

I feel pretty confident about my lifting only because I had one of my university students run me through both an upper and lower body routine. He is a competitive weightlifter and was great at demonstrating, instructing, correcting form, and being encouraging.

When I think about this more I'm struggling to figure out if I need to modify my workouts, nutrition, both, or neither.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thoughts?

Being underweight isn't actually an achievement tho. Especially when it's against your doctor's specific advice. And if you're freaked out about maintaining a healthy weight, you may want to examine that further with a professional that specializes in that sort of thing. I'd love to help you with your long term physical goals but first you're going to have to come to terms with what's going on inside your head. Without that, you'll never be satisfied with how you look.
  • AsISmile
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Being underweight isn't actually an achievement tho. Especially when it's against your doctor's specific advice. And if you're freaked out about maintaining a healthy weight, you may want to examine that further with a professional that specializes in that sort of thing. I'd to help you with your long term physical goals but first you're going to have to come to terms with what's going on inside your head. Without that, you'll never be satisfied with how you look.

Couldn't agree more. From personal experience I will say again, don't go there.
    You are at a great weight. I had to struggle to get back to a healthy weight. Being underweight is absolutely miserable.

Also, if you have trouble understanding the recomp thread, ask questions in that tread about the stuff you don't understand.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

A few weeks ago when I reduced my cardio to add weightlifting I gained a pound over two weeks (& I highly doubt it was muscle since I'd just started). Then last week I was on vacation during which I pretty much ate whatever I wanted (including piles of ice cream), didn't workout, but somehow maintained my weight exactly. I'm very confused about what's going on! Thoughts?

Why? I don't get it
  • AsISmile
    Options
    Thank you @rushfive. I've tried reading that "recomp" thread about 10 times and don't understand most of it. :(

I feel pretty confident about my lifting only because I had one of my university students run me through both an upper and lower body routine. He is a competitive weightlifter and was great at demonstrating, instructing, correcting form, and being encouraging.

When I think about this more I'm struggling to figure out if I need to modify my workouts, nutrition, both, or neither.

It sounds like you are doing an upper body/lower body split.
    As a beginner it is better to focus on a full body routine because you are now at a stage where you can make gains faster.
    Look into a full body program like stronglifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women or strong curves.
    Actually, I'd totally recommend you reading either new rules or strong curves because it might help you understand the process of water retention and muscle building better.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Being underweight isn't actually an achievement tho. Especially when it's against your doctor's specific advice. And if you're freaked out about maintaining a healthy weight, you may want to examine that further with a professional that specializes in that sort of thing. I'd to help you with your long term physical goals but first you're going to have to come to terms with what's going on inside your head. Without that, you'll never be satisfied with how you look.

^ This is great advice. :)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

If you had started lifting, that was fluid gain. Your muscles retain fluid during recovery/healing from the exertion. Totally normal and will continue to happen since you should be following a program that increases the weight you're lifting (or some version of overload), regularly.

The gist of recomposition is that you eat around maintenance, follow a lifting program that incorporates progressive overload, and you will gradually build muscle and lose fat. So, your body fat % decreases over time. This is definitely a process that requires either patience or accepting it as your lifestyle and not concerned with "seeing" progress. Some people get frustrated because it's a subtle change that occurs over a long period of time.
    Your weight should remain the same, except for occasional fluid retention, since you aren't eating a surplus of calories.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Firstly - congrats on your success!

Why did the doctor tell you to stop? Need to dig that out if they didn't tell you.

DavPaul's comments is dead on. I wouldn't be concerned with deficit at this point. What is you end goal? Are you doing this for performance, aesthetics, etc? You are already on a lifting program and sounds like you have an excellent start and plan. One of my friends is a trainer and IFBB pro - she carries two pics with her for clients - one where she was at 109 lbs and only cardio and the other a year later at 119 lbs after incorporating lifting. It's the 119 lb physique that got her a fitness model gig and launched her career.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

As others have said, do not lose more weight.... lower the bf%. ... Davpul is very good, blunt, but good... so is usmc (something like that) on the recomp thread.. ask question there. they will answer sooner or later.

It is hard to "feel" like you are doing the right thing, it takes time to see results from lifting.. I agree with other on maybe changing the lifting routine. (someone posted a few good ones to look into).

About the weigh gain.... probably water weight... due to using muscles... don't worry about it, is suppose to happen. Obviously you have a handle on your diet due to not gaining on vacation.

I am sure a more experienced person on lifting will come along... i will keep checking to see if they show up. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Why? I don't get it

I'd be more concerned about point 2. have you told your doctor this?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    at 5'7 and 120-something lbs you are quite thin. Be careful not to fall into the "never thin enough" lady-trap. Try focusing on increasing your level of fitness, and stop eating at a deficit.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Why? I don't get it

I'd be more concerned about point 2. have you told your doctor this?

To be fair, I'm concerned about all of it.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's comments...I know someone who is exactly in the same mindset and it's not healthy. You shouldn't be aiming for an underweight BMI..

Another thing to consider, lifting at a deficit will not gain you muscle...the body does not build muscle in a deficit, lifting in a deficit helps maintain the muscle mass you already have.

You don't want weight gain, recomp. Progressive loading lifting program and eating at maintenance...you'll lower your BF% without lowering your weight/BMI.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I copied and pasted my response from your duplicate thread in case you see it here first. (I see that you've read the recomp thread. I would focus just on usmcmp's original post there to start). Additionally, I agree that you need to find a good beginner lifting program, probably a full-body one.

from the other thread:
    Here is a good thread on recomp:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

If you're a healthy weight but want to lose body fat, this is a good way to do it, IMO.

Also double check your posture. The way we stand can make a huge difference on the "belly roll" issue. Stand with your feet almost parallel, lift your spine out of your pelvis, and tighten your core muscles (abs and glutes). Make sure your pelvic girdle is tilted the right way (your tailbone will point a bit more toward the floor than the back). You may be surprised at how much of a difference the way you stand can make on your belly!!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    As someone who struggled with being underweight for all her youth and five years of her adult life, I simply cannot get behind you on going underweight, even temporarily, especially since it won't help you achieve your goals.

You can lower your body fat % doing a recomp. Eat at maintenance, do the strength exercise of your choice (heavy lifting is popular for a reason), and in time (and you must be patient!) you'll see that stomach you want, probably while weighing significantly more than you do now. In a recomp, the scale really isn't the best measure of success.

Just for the record, even at 97 pounds, 5'5" (my size when I graduated high school), I had a belly if I was bending forward without sucking in my abs, standing with poor or relaxed posture, or sitting with poor or relaxed posture. If your goal is to get so thin your belly goes away no matter what position you're in, you're going to be disappointed and possibly hospitalized. I have pretty nice abs at 122 pounds, and I'm not constantly on the verge of passing out.

If you're mentally freaked out about gaining weight *and* lifting (which at the least will cause water retention and at the best, if you stop eating at a deficit, actual slow muscle growth), then you need to build a healthier relationship with the number on your scale. It can be a helpful number sometimes, but if you let that control your goals or how you feel about yourself, then it has outlived its usefulness. If it's making you feel like you need to eat at a deficit even when you're on the low end of a healthy BMI and your doctor has instructed you to stop losing weight, then it's outright dangerous.