one meal a day diet

Options
13»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So basically it's a form of intermittent fasting. The"warrior" diet version. Maybe it's just not for you? There's no point in trying to force something that is to difficult for you.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My dad has eaten this way as long as I can remember. he has a banana and pepsi for lunch every single day..and then a massive dinner. Has always made my mom a bit testy. But I can say he has never struggled with his weight. On saturdays he has a big lunch, and on sundays he has a big breakfast..nothing else for the rest of the day. I like giant meals. I often budget out my calories and half of them are spent on dinner. But I also like eating..so I munch all day, and then have a reasonably large dinner.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ivonne_992 wrote: »
    I think your metabolism might end up really slow :/

No, not at all. For some people, eating one meal a day to include all their daily calories is a way of life.
  • Ivonne_992
    Ivonne_992 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well okay if it works good, but I'd still recommend to take BCAAs while fasting :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any tips to help me stay on track with this diet ? is anyone doing this diet that wants me to add them so we can do it together ?? also please tell me any links or type out some good workouts that make you feel good afterwards but not tired & hungry . thank you !

What you describe is close to what I do 18:6 (One of the versions of Intermittent Fasting. I fast for 18 hours and then eat during a 6 hour window. So during those 6 hours I have a meal and than a snack. (Essentially I eat when I get home from work in the late afternoon and have a snack later.)

http://www.therecipejournal.com/186-diet-a-k-a-leangains
    http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/brief-primer-on-popular-approaches-to.html
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was going to bring up 18:6, as well. Or what Leangains recommends. I spent some time on the leangains website and saw some of the meals the creator was eating and decided to try it. If you are the kind of person who actually enjoys the Thanksgiving-esque process of eating until you feel stuffed to the gills, it is a great way to cut calories and still stuff yourself.

Everyone has different hunger queues. Some people wake up starving, and some people can have a cup of coffee and go about their day until well into the afternoon. I've always been the later type. I would have a bunch of water (1L or so) upon waking, and maybe a travel mug of black coffee on the way to work. Unless I was boredom snacking, I wouldn't feel hungry all morning, and unless I was going to lunch with friends, I would often skip or delay lunch until well into the afternoon.

With the leangains style of eating, one generally eats a single large meal later in the day. The meals the creator shows are often way over my calorie limit (including whole cheesecakes, etc) because he is also an intense heavy lifting athlete. But trust me, a 1500-2000cal meal, especially a relatively healthy one with veg and meat, is super filling.

A couple racks of ribs, some mixed steamed vegetables with butter. A huge steak, baked potato and veg. Even 1500 calories of takeout pizza is more than enough to make me go "ugh, that's enough..".

If you feel hungry all day waiting your giant meal, this isn't the eating plan for you. For me, I get to stay under my daily, while still stuffing myself with delicious food late in the day.

Edit: This eating plan also means you, generally, work out fasted. This doesn't work for some people, especially some people focused on cardio. For those into heavy lifting, it has the added benefit of increasing cortisol (stress hormone) production during lifting while fasted which can help maximize lifting gains over time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Calorie timing doesn't matter. Why not try it if you think it will work for you? Just make sure you're eating to your calorie goal (not under or over eating).

Three meals a day (plus snacks) is a fairly modern construct. There's really no scientific reason to eat that way, its just the way society has structured itself lately.