Sorry TMI Period weight gain

Options
hey all, I know everyone is different.... I have weighed today and put 1.5 on since last week :(

After beating myself up for a few hours I have come on...

What are your experiences?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is completely normal. You've never noticed you feel bloated at this time before?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    TOM has a ridiculously negative effect on my weight loss. I can gain anywhere between 2lbs and 5lbs in water! Plus my appetite goes crazy and I just want to eat, not helped by the fact I am an emotional eater and just want to lie on the sofa with a huge bar of chocolate feeling sorry for myself. Blah. Worst part is, I usually get it for well over a week; it's like half of my month seeing progress and the other half of the month tearing my hair our with the fluctuations (today being one of those days!).

So, my experience is it is rubbish, but it is part of life; just got to grit your teeth, remember it will even out eventually and carry on doing what you know works!
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Water weight, increased appetite and lack of motivation to work out all last about a week for me. I make myself work out anyway and drink lots of water to help curb the hunger, give in to a small treat occasionally and it's helped.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Since this usually happens monthly, you get used to it. People, even men, have cycles of holding and releasing fluids.
    It's on the scale and the tight feeling in your clothes. If you log your food and know you have been following your routine, just know it's just water and it will go away as often as it shows up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you overeat because of TOM? If not, it's just water weight and will come off by itself.

My experience is that weighing daily taught me that fluctiations are normal.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Quit beating yourself up. It happens to practically everybody! Nearly everyone retains water during their TOM. I can put on as much as 5lbs during that week!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I apparently know stuff about periods that a big chunk of women don't. Which is mind-boggling to me.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TOM totally effects my weight loss. The week before I feel like i'm starving- binge on everything in site lol. The week of, i'm much less hungry, but my weight is stagnant. Right after my period, I lose in a big WHOOSH. its very strange and really affects my month :) Don't be too hard on yourself during this time-- you cant control it :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I apparently know stuff about periods that a big chunk of women don't. Which is mind-boggling to me.

My husband is the same way. :smiley:

But it kind of surprises me that this (that we gain weight around our periods) is news to so many women. I've been observing it for over 30 years. Twigged onto it right about the time I started weighing myself back when I was 15 or 16 years old.

I've also discovered that when I am a little bit heavier, I'm extra hungry and I get cravings the day before it starts. But when I'm at the low end of the normal BMI range, I don't experience that.

• Geege29
    Geege29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I carry at least 5 extra pounds, and that's with being on a diuretic! I'm also beyond starving the entire week, I could basically live on chocolate dipped salt if I succumb to the cravings.

My doc said the cravings are your body trying to store calories in case you get pregnant, like THAT makes me feel any better about it! Don't beat yourself up, it's biology.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

LMAO! So true. I'm astonished that this cyclical weight fluctuation seems to come as a surprise to a lot of women.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Its normal, cyclical, and temporary.

Just keep eating to your calorie goal and ignore it. Focusing on fluctuations will drive you crazy and make you quit. Successful weight losers look at long term trends, not fluctuations.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Geege29 wrote: »
    I carry at least 5 extra pounds, and that's with being on a diuretic! I'm also beyond starving the entire week, I could basically live on chocolate dipped salt if I succumb to the cravings.

My doc said the cravings are your body trying to store calories in case you get pregnant, like THAT makes me feel any better about it! Don't beat yourself up, it's biology.

Yeah, and when you're totally infertile it makes the whole god damn thing seem even more unfair! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A PURPOSE!! :p

*Edited to say that the whole infertile thing doesn't bother me at all, I'm not looking for sympathy; just pointing out how extra frustrating it is that I go through this every month for no good reason!
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    Geege29 wrote: »

That's BS. By the time you miss your period, you're already 4 (ish) weeks pregnant (pregnancy "counting" starts two weeks before you ovulate, in case anyone didn't know). The embryo would have already implanted into the uterus wall, a full week before your period. Your body already would already be producing HCG if you were pregnant. It doesn't need your period to come to tell itself whether its pregnant.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Rips Tex's head off...stares down gaping neck...oh really now?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You carry a ladder?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You carry a ladder?

:bigsmile:

And a chainsaw clearly
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My TOM is 3 days, then it ceases for 1 day & then I have it for 1 more day. So I have it for 4 days, spread over a 5 day period - (pun intended). I start retaining water about 5 days before & I gain approximately 5 Pounds. I become incredibly thirsty during that 5 days before I get but I don't become hungry for anything beyond sugar. So for 10 days, I have no idea; what I truly weigh.

Despite having to give into my desperation for Carbs, I still try to make sensible choices, so that I don't consume many more Calories & thus ruin a half of month of progress.

1 Instead of eating a couple packages of cookies, I'll eat a Honeydew melon & I don't cut the rind off, I eat it from the rind; so that it takes much longer to consume than cookies because I have to make sure that I don't eat part of the rind but also nibble every bit, from it as well. Since it takes longer to eat, I consume less of it; while I reach satiety.

2 I'll also eat thin spaghetti but also with vegetable spaghetti, to get a hint of the taste but without the Calories.

3 Instead of making tacos/fajitas with tortillas, I'll use lettuce (this can get messy but I always say that "If it isn't messy, it isn't food.") or just make it a taco/fajita salad instead but break up only a quarter of a tortilla & use as a topping instead of a base. Again so that you get a hint of the taste but without the Calories.

4 East a potato or corn because they're starches.

I don't eat anymore than 2 of these items a day, to save my Calories.
  • SingRunTing
    Options

You carry a ladder?

:bigsmile:

And a chainsaw clearly

I like you
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Lol.

To be fair, I've just learned stuff now that I weigh myself daily that I didn't know before, such as I also gain and lose a few pounds around ovulation.