Nursing moms

Options
anybody know if there is a way to adjust your calorie goal to reflect a nursing mom?? I'm starving and the 1310 calories just aren't cutting it!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1300 calories while nursing is waaay too little. At the very very minimum it should be 1500 calories... but probably closer to 1800 or more.

You can change your goal and put in a custom calorie goal. But there's no option to select for nursing. Alternatively, you can log breastfeeding as a food entry and it will give you a negative calorie adjustment.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    From the Help section (at top right of every page): https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11477-if-i-am-breastfeeding-or-nursing-how-do-i-adjust-my-goals-
    Since breastfeeding varies for each woman, we don't currently offer a specific recommendation for adjusting your calories. However, if you obtain a calorie estimate from your doctor or nutritionist, you can easily change your calorie goal to account for the difference.

​As an alternative, you may log "breastfeeding" as an exercise. Once you have a calorie estimate, you can add "breastfeeding" as a custom cardiovascular exercise to your exercise database.

Ask your doctor how many calories you should be eating—but it's definitely more than 1,310!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    You burn around 500 calories a day from nursing, so add 500 to your 1310 and stick to that. You don't want to lose your supply!!!!
  • Kellyeager5
    Kellyeager5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I added 500 calories...I have noticed my supply has decreased some. Hopefully I'll have more energy and feel better adding that.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE and deducted the recommended deficit - then added about 400 calories back (I supplement two feedings with formula). I found a website that helped me better calculate what I should be eating:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also keep in mind that most nursing mom plans recommend that you get 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day, 3 servings of milk and at least 3 teaspoons of healthy oil. Plus, PLENTY of water!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Thank you! I added 500 calories...I have noticed my supply has decreased some. Hopefully I'll have more energy and feel better adding that.

You definitely should notice! Also, remember, it takes 2 full days (or more) for your supply to increase, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen immediately. Good luck! I was so hungry while nursing, I didn't lose a lb after my initial 16 lb pp weight loss, lol. After he decreased his demand around 13 months then I got more serious about weight loss.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am still nursing my 16 month old and don't count the calories from breastfeeding since he doesn't nurse all that frequently, but instead just would keep my calories around 1500-1700 and have lost very slowly. My supply never suffered from that range. Good luck!
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing and I exercise everyday, so I never go below 2000 calories a day. My milk supply drops when I cut my calories back too much! I add breastfeeding to my exercise under cardio haha
  • reach4starrs
    reach4starrs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What kind of excercise can I start with? I don't excercise and my baby is 3 weeks old. I would like to lose 5 pounds in a month.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    What kind of excercise can I start with? I don't excercise and my baby is 3 weeks old. I would like to lose 5 pounds in a month.

First off, you need to wait till your 6 week post partum check up to be cleared for exercise by your doctor. Then, I would start slowly with just walking first.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

First off, you need to wait till your 6 week post partum check up to be cleared for exercise by your doctor. Then, I would start slowly with just walking first.

This. You should wait until your pp checkup. Until then you can do a little walking, but nothing more intense. Don't rush it.