A medium banana has 27g of carbs???

Options
tusher2011
tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
WTH? I was just about to eat one for a snack and looked up the nutritional value. I only have small bananas so I'm sure it's less...but still, that's alot of carbs. I have been going over on my carbs lately, so I am really trying to watch it. Should I eat it anyway, since the carbs are coming from a fruit?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    one i logged was 21g but if you really want it have it. if not try snacking on something else
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options
    Unfortunately, a carb is a carb, no matter if its icecream or an apple. So, if you are already at your limit for the day, try a protein snack.
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from them for this reason. If I really want one, I'll split it with my daughter or husband and then grab some almonds or carrots to snack on...
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    First of all, carbs aren't bad for you, but yes, bananas contain a high amount. They're low in calories and have a good amount of Vitamin C which is an antioxidant. Vitamin C can get lost from your body easily, so daily intake is vital.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Why would a banana have so many carbs? I am eating more fruit but going higher on carbs bc of it. It royally sucks!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you are really watching your carbs, bananas are a bad choice. However, bananas have a lot of important vitamins and minerals. They also have fiber and are 100% natural. I eat them all the time. They are a much better choice than chips, crackers, cookies (I assume you didn't intend to eat any of those things in place of the banana, since you are concerned about carbs, I'm just making a point). Unless there is a reason you shouldn't have carbs, feel free to eat the banana and other fruit.
  • dwilliam116
    dwilliam116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, you are looking at 17-19 grams of sugar.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love bananas but I have found since using this site how they throw me over on carbs or sugar or both when I eat them. Some days its worth it mostly its not. A carb is a carb really is true.:sad:
  • singin_sunrise
    singin_sunrise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about these carbs as much. These are good carbs from fruit that your body needs to function and especially to exercise. Balance it out with some peanut butter for protein. Protein and carbs work together to give you good workouts and keep your body from breaking down muscle. Instead it will use the protein to build muscle, the carbs for energy, and start breaking down the fat instead. Really just worry about the carbs you're getting from refined grains and other things that aren't as nutritionally good for your body as a banana. You should try reading The Women's Health Diet book. It really explains exactly what your body is doing and what carbs not to freak out about.
  • ShrinkingStephanie
    Options
    I love bananas... I used to eat 1 or 2 a day. Unfortunately they are probably the least healthy fruit in terms of sugars/carbs. I used to have a personal trainer that always preached to me that if I was going to eat a banana, eat a small one and ONLY post-workout. I no longer eat them daily, maybe once or twice a week and only blended in a protein smoothie and only half of a banana.

If you really want it, don't deprive yourself--my advice: just have half, you can wrap the rest in foil and keep it in the fridge. Try mixing it in a protein drink or some greek yogurt so you still get that banana taste but also add some additional filling health benefits!

Love bananas, but think they are evil and counter-productive to weight loss! (I hope I'm wrong)
  • ShrinkingStephanie
    Options
    I love bananas but I have found since using this site how they throw me over on carbs or sugar or both when I eat them. Some days its worth it mostly its not. A carb is a carb really is true.:sad:

So true!
  • Scheherazadea
    Options
    Bananas and most fruits are high in fructose and consequently high in carbs. Unless you're on a low or no carb diet though, bananas are an excellent source of energy so don't just avoid them because they're high in carbs.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I love bananas... I used to eat 1 or 2 a day. Unfortunately they are probably the least healthy fruit in terms of sugars/carbs. I used to have a personal trainer that always preached to me that if I was going to eat a banana, eat a small one and ONLY post-workout. I no longer eat them daily, maybe once or twice a week and only blended in a protein smoothie and only half of a banana.

If you really want it, don't deprive yourself--my advice: just have half, you can wrap the rest in foil and keep it in the fridge. Try mixing it in a protein drink or some greek yogurt so you still get that banana taste but also add some additional filling health benefits!

Love bananas, but think they are evil and counter-productive to weight loss! (I hope I'm wrong)

my p.t. always used to tell me to eat one about an hour before work out as it would give me energy to work out
  • SueN113
    Options
    Bananas and most fruits are high in fructose and consequently high in carbs. Unless you're on a low or no carb diet though, bananas are an excellent source of energy so don't just avoid them because they're high in carbs.

That is true that they are very good for you, you just have to plan to fit them into your carb total for the day.
    Any extra carbs turn into sugar, which turns into fat. So try to stay within your carb limit for the day.
  • duvaroo
    duvaroo Posts: 18
    Options
    here's how I look at it. I didn't get fat eating fruit, so I'm not worrying too much about my fruit intake. The good outweighs the bad IMO.

And if you follow weight watchers, fruits are now free on the new plan
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

That is true that they are very good for you, you just have to plan to fit them into your carb total for the day.
    Any extra carbs turn into sugar, which turns into fat. So try to stay within your carb limit for the day.

False. Excess calories, not carbs, equal weight gain. Nothing wrong with going over a carb "limit", unless for some reason you choose a low carb diet.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is that the sweeter something tastes, the higher the carbs. All sugars (natural, processed, breads, etc.) are processed by the body as carbohydrates. But not all carbs are created equal. Fruits, veggies, and whole grains have carbs, but they also have lots of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The fiber and water content make you feel full. Your body needs carbs, but in moderation. So you could do worse than eating a banana for a snack. But you should still aim to keep your carbs within limits, because you can eat too many carbs, even "healthy carbs" .
  • SueN113
    Options

False. Excess calories, not carbs, equal weight gain. Nothing wrong with going over a carb "limit", unless for some reason you choose a low carb diet.

My dietician specifically said that you need to balance your carb intake because your body only uses so many per day. I don't mean that carbs turn into weight gain, just that over time unused carbs will turn into sugar, whether they came from a healthy source or not.
  • ShrinkingStephanie
    Options

my p.t. always used to tell me to eat one about an hour before work out as it would give me energy to work out

...which suggests that everyone, even those "oh so fit personal trainers" have differing views of them! It's so hard to know what choices are correct!