Wisdom tooth extraction - what to eat?!

Options
Hi guys! Next week I'll be getting my wisdom tooth extracted (surgically), and last time that happened I fell waaayy off the wagon with my diet for about a week because I didn't know what to eat.

So this time around, I thought I'd ask some help in advance: I''ll only be able to eat liquids, soft foods and small bites. Nothing that requires too much chewing.

What would you guys recommend? Any experiences? I still want to meet my calorie goals, and without resorting to eating pudding and soup all day.

Replies

• CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 extracted a couple months ago. I definitely didn't eat very well, but I sure enjoyed myself. I ate lots of pudding, soup, ice cream, jello, mashed potatoes, well-blended smoothies full of lots of veg, yogurt. But mostly pudding, ice cream and mashed potatoes. Because yum. I added protein powder into puddings and yogurt and things for extra satiation and calories, and stirred nutritional yeast into my soups. Little things like that. I wouldn't want to do it forever, but it was so much better than I'd expected. I was way more concerned about avoiding dry socket than trying to eat super nutritiously. It's just a couple weeks, I met my calorie goals, no big deal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    smoothies, and soup come to mind
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They should give you a list of what to eat. All I remember was no chips, no scrambled eggs and no straws. The straw thing sucks because it's the one time in your life that a straw would come in very handy, lol, but no straws. It's been a while since I had it done.

I'm sure they'll give you a list.

You can make anything soft if you stick it in a food processor or blender.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Your own tears.

I had a month-long nightmare with an abcess/root canal earlier this year. I was terrified to eat for a little while.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, mashed sweet potatoes, applesauce, soups, smoothies or shakes, even oatmeal would probably work. I'm not sure why Kalikel says no scrambled eggs, they are soft?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    All I remember is the frozen sock around my head...

Smoothies and soup. For how long do you have to eat soft food? I wouldn't get sick of Thai and other Asian soups for a long time.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why Kalikel says no scrambled eggs, they are soft?

The eggs can catch on the sides of the mouth and fall into the little holes.

Small bites, little chewing, soft foods.
    http://www.acosinc.com/surgical-instructions/diet-after-wisdom-teeth-surgery/
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, mashed sweet potatoes, applesauce, soups, smoothies or shakes, even oatmeal would probably work. I'm not sure why Kalikel says no scrambled eggs, they are soft?

My dentist said no because little bits of the egg can drop into the hole. If your guy is cool with it, eat the eggs. Scrambled eggs were on the list of No for me...literal list, the one they handed me before I left. The reason I remember them, specifically is because I wouldn't have thought of that. The reason I remember chips is because I was like, "Who wouldn't think of that?"
  • BlossomStrikesAgain
    Options
    I've had a couple of horrible extractions in the past year and one of my go-to meals was curried lentils, with the lentils boiled down until they were really so soft that I could swallow them whole without issue. A lot of veg will boil to utter softness really, which may not be to your taste normally but introduces some variety when you can't chew. Also mushy peas, soups (obviously), mashed potatoes/swede/carrots, mashed bananas, egg mayonnaise (actually RF salad cream rather than mayo, because salad cream tastes of something). If I remember something else I'll come back to this thread.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

My dentist said no because little bits of the egg can drop into the hole. If your guy is cool with it, eat the eggs. Scrambled eggs were on the list of No for me...literal list, the one they handed me before I left. The reason I remember them, specifically is because I wouldn't have thought of that. The reason I remember chips is because I was like, "Who wouldn't think of that?"

Interesting. I didn't think of it that way. Good thing I had this horrible process completed many years ago never to endure it again. :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    Options

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that either. Good thing I had this horrible process completed many years ago never to endure it again. :)

• theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lived off scrambled eggs and light yogurt for days. I bought all kinds of other stuff, but all I wanted was eggs. Good luck!

Edited to add: I had no complications with the eggs getting into the wounds, whatsoever.
  • burns429
    burns429 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    wendy's frosty...but I was 17 and not watching what I was eating.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had major surgery for my extractions. I lasted on icecream and jello for about half a day and then said screw it. Was so hungry and not a huge sugar eater, so icecream/pudding and such made me sick after a couple of meals. I just ate a lot of mac and cheese. Use small shell noodles and you don't have to chew much. Got me by for 3-4 days before I moved up to PBJ and other breaded meals
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The food was the only good thing about getting my wisdom teeth out. I was well into adulthood, but my mom drove me to and from and then catered to my every soft-food whim. I had never been so spoiled as a kid!

Here are some alternatives to the usual ice cream, post-extraction fare:

Instead of ice cream, have frozen Greek yogurt. It'll have some sugar, but it'll also have protein and other good nutrients. If you just want to reduce calories, sorbet usually has significantly fewer calories than ice cream. Personally, my challenge after extraction was hitting all my calories as eating was so unpleasant, so ice cream was fine.

Instead of boxed Jell-o, you can make your own gelatin flavored with fruit juice. There are recipes online.

Brothy and creamy soups are good if you can handle warm things (I couldn't the first day).

Applesauce is a good one.

You could add protein powder to a smoothie to make it more satisfying. Make sure it's well-blended, and eat it with a spoon or drink directly from the glass (no straws!).

Instead of regular chocolate pudding, there's a recipe out there to make it with silken tofu that is actually amazing. I used to eat it all the time.

Puree some plums with tapioca flour for a delicious treat. Okay, technically that's a baby food recipe, but it's really good!

• anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They should give you a list of what to eat. All I remember was no chips, no scrambled eggs and no straws. The straw thing sucks because it's the one time in your life that a straw would come in very handy, lol, but no straws. It's been a while since I had it done.

I'm sure they'll give you a list.

You can make anything soft if you stick it in a food processor or blender.

They didn't give me a list last time either :/ they basically tell you not to eat for 2 hours and the rest is up to you.

But all these ideas are very helpful! I didn't even think of making smoothies. And adding protein.. that's a great idea!!

• anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of horrible extractions in the past year and one of my go-to meals was curried lentils, with the lentils boiled down until they were really so soft that I could swallow them whole without issue. A lot of veg will boil to utter softness really, which may not be to your taste normally but introduces some variety when you can't chew. Also mushy peas, soups (obviously), mashed potatoes/swede/carrots, mashed bananas, egg mayonnaise (actually RF salad cream rather than mayo, because salad cream tastes of something). If I remember something else I'll come back to this thread.

HA! Coincidently, I just bought and ate lentils for the first time today! I'm totally gonna try this :)
    aledba wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Kalikel says no scrambled eggs, they are soft?

The eggs can catch on the sides of the mouth and fall into the little holes.

Small bites, little chewing, soft foods.
    http://www.acosinc.com/surgical-instructions/diet-after-wisdom-teeth-surgery/

Great site! Pancakes.... definitely added to my post-surgery meal plan <3
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My dentist seriously told me to eat plain (no pieces) frozen yogurt and ice cream for the first 24 hours. The cold food helped with the swelling I suppose.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Never heard the egg thing. Does that go for tofu, too?

Rather than boiling vegetables to softness, you can steam them 10 min in a yummy chicken stock then puree. I LOVE doing this. Works great with broccoli or cauliflower or carrots, turnips, parsnips, winter squash, etc. Not sure if chia is allowed, but that would add even more fiber to your cream of (vegetable) soup, and a little fat. They taste great served cold, like vichyssoise, too. Easy to make ahead and freeze in 2c increments (solo cups good for that). Just pop it out of the solo and into a bowl in the microwave. Are meatballs allowed? I like them made with ground chicken (chicballs?) in these soups. They seem soft to me, anyway.

Protein powder is definitely your friend in this situation. 20g vanilla protein powder+20g plain greek yogurt+ starbucks via packet +ice chips & just a little water blended until the ice chunks disappear tastes like coffee gelato to me. Mmmm. Best of luck with your teeth.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    anneeett wrote: »
    Hi guys! Next week I'll be getting my wisdom tooth extracted (surgically), and last time that happened I fell waaayy off the wagon with my diet for about a week because I didn't know what to eat.

So this time around, I thought I'd ask some help in advance: I''ll only be able to eat liquids, soft foods and small bites. Nothing that requires too much chewing.

What would you guys recommend? Any experiences? I still want to meet my calorie goals, and without resorting to eating pudding and soup all day.

how exactly to you go off the diet rails eating only liquids and soft foods? pretty sure I remember dumping 6 Lbs or so right after I got my wisdom teeth pulled...soup and jello isn't exactly calorie dense.