Is there any Yogurt out there Better?

Options

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried making their own? I've done this a couple of times using the Melissa D'Arabian recipe and while it's not as low in fat or as thick as storebought (even strained through a yogurt strainer) I find the flavor very mild and it's very filling with some fruit and/or granola mixed in.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek yogurt is my favorite. Don't like the plain ones.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oikos was ok (even the triple zero) and Chaboni sucks IMO.. I much prefer Dannon Light n Fit.

light-and-fit-greek-blueberry-nutrition.jpg
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I've never tried this before, just saw it announced for my country today actually, but it also looks pretty good.
    Sweetened with sugar. Very low fat and more protein.

ETA: natural variatie is not sweetened, only their flavored varieties.

o9vyjjrch4uu.jpg

Damn. I've never seen this brand before. I've been buying TZ, myself.

It's a Danish brand which they sell in Europe, don't know if it's sold in the US.
  • House_Cow
    House_Cow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I second the Skyr yoghurt, I bought lots of it back when I noticed it half price at tesco xD then I looked at the macros and was like WHUUT o,O they have strawberry flavour , and a honey flavour (the honey one is a bit weird, but strawberry is alright :3 )
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried making their own? I've done this a couple of times using the Melissa D'Arabian recipe and while it's not as low in fat or as thick as storebought (even strained through a yogurt strainer) I find the flavor very mild and it's very filling with some fruit and/or granola mixed in.
    Yes. In my family we make our own (using Fage 2% as a starter.) However, ours is low fat as we use 1% milk and add dry milk.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

absolutely not- this is one of those things that falls squarely into the "way to much effing work for me" category.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I've made yogurt I put the starter in mason jars with the milk and one jar of boiling water in my cooler. Nice warm, moist, stable environment. And pretty maintenance free. Not like making cheese.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Fage Full Fat if calories aint no thang.

Otherwise...

Plain_16oz_package_2011_pop.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Yoplait greek 100s Whips
    because it feels like dessert and makes me happy
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Fage Full Fat if calories aint no thang.

Otherwise...

Plain_16oz_package_2011_pop.jpg
    Wow, macros for that are awesome!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can only eat regular yogurt. I can't eat any greek yogurt and I have no idea why. I just don't like it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I thought about it, but decided to keep buying the Greek deli's homemade version. They do it so good and it's only $5 for a gigantic tub.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I saw the triple zero the other day at the store, definitely caught my attention. Now I'm gonna have to try it.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I second the Skyr yoghurt, I bought lots of it back when I noticed it half price at tesco xD then I looked at the macros and was like WHUUT o,O they have strawberry flavour , and a honey flavour (the honey one is a bit weird, but strawberry is alright :3 )

Agree about skyr it is amazing. It is just ridiculously expensive everywhere I see it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Fage is hands down the best to my taste. I prefer the full fat version most.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Oikos was ok (even the triple zero) and Chaboni sucks IMO.. I much prefer Dannon Light n Fit.

for flavored yogurt, I concur.

• psuLemon
    Options

for flavored yogurt, I concur.

Boston cream pie and strawberry cheesecake are my personal favs
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

^ This. I'll take 5g less protein for 6g less carbs any day. I never have a problem hitting my protein macro anyway. I don't really care about artificial sweeteners AND L&F comes in a ton of amazing flavors. I've never seen the Triple Zero yogurt in my local grocery store, now that I think of it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

^ This. I'll take 5g less protein for 6g less carbs any day. I never have a problem hitting my protein macro anyway. I don't really care about artificial sweeteners AND L&F comes in a ton of amazing flavors. I've never seen the Triple Zero yogurt in my local grocery store, now that I think of it.

Triple zero only came out a few months ago. I was not impressed.