Too much sugar in fruit

Options
I do really well keeping all my nutrition in check with what MFP says I need on a daily basis. Sometime going over in Protein, which I think is ok. Never going over in fat or carbs, but the biggie is the sugar. I have many times gone over my sugar count because of the fruit Im eating. Is this something that could hinder my weight loss or cause any other issues? Luckily, Im pretty heathy and havent had any problems, but curious if I should really cut down on sugary fruits. Opinions?

Replies

• kimjschroeder
    kimjschroeder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oops, never mind. Just saw a post just like this.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I eat moderate carb myself and enjoy fruit

I have a bag of cherries on my desk. I'm gonna slam them around 3 to fuel my after work trip to the gym.

It is a personal choice.

You may feel eating sugar makes you crave it. But that is just you, not really an indictment of sweet fruit. Chilled watermelon is just refreshing to me on a hot day. I just have to not eat 8 cups of it and then blame watermelon for having sugar. It is me eating too much of it!!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is usually not a problem for healthy people, nor would it hinder weight loss for them. If your family has a history of diabetes, heart disease, or PCOS and you are worried about sugars, you could always get a blood glucose monitor and make sure sugar in fruit is not an issue for you.

The fibre in fruits helps the body handle the carbs and sugars in fruit. If you are trying to keep fruit sugars low, avoid juices, and eat the actual fruit. You could also check the GI of fruits: berries are low, and apples, nectarines and peaches aren't much higher. Mangos, grapes and figs have more sugar than other fruits.

• krisfrantzen
    krisfrantzen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most fruit I don't care how much sugar in them. I track it bur don't put any emphasis on sugar. Only exception are grapes. Delicious things that I can't seem to stop eating and tons of sugar so I try to stay away from them or eat in moderation which is very difficult.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I do really well keeping all my nutrition in check with what MFP says I need on a daily basis. Sometime going over in Protein, which I think is ok. Never going over in fat or carbs, but the biggie is the sugar. I have many times gone over my sugar count because of the fruit Im eating. Is this something that could hinder my weight loss or cause any other issues? Luckily, Im pretty heathy and havent had any problems, but curious if I should really cut down on sugary fruits. Opinions?

Many here do not track sugar specifically for this exact reason. If your protein/fat/carb targets are being met, and you are hitting your calorie target, you will be just fine. Unless you have a medical reason to track sugar specifically, don't worry about that little red number on your tracker, so long as everything else is on point.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Echoing what the majority is saying... as long as you're pretty on point elsewhere & you have no medical reason for worrying -- don't stress the sugars in fruit. 90% of my sugars come from fruit, so I actually removed the sugar counter from my main screen. B)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    So glad that I read this about sugar- i to o do well in everything but sugar- so i will stay calm and keep hitting my nutrients as much as possible.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    It would be more helpful for MFP to show fiber by default rather than sugar. I care about calcium & magnesium more than sugar. I do not have medical reasons to watch sugar, which is the relevant distinction.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I track fiber instead of sugar. Pretty much any fruit and you're going to be way over in sugar.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    All that really will make a difference is your calorie intake. There are, however, some fruits with lower sugar content that you could consider switching to if it bothers you.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    It would be more helpful for MFP to show fiber by default rather than sugar. I care about calcium & magnesium more than sugar. I do not have medical reasons to watch sugar, which is the relevant distinction.
    I track fiber instead of sugar. Pretty much any fruit and you're going to be way over in sugar.

I think they chose sugar as the default because it could have a bigger impact on the health of those not conscious of how much they are really consuming than fiber would. If this makes sense.

I've also manually changed it to show fiber. Keep in mind though for whatever you are tracking if a food entry is not accurate/complete these numbers won't be either.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

No calories in fiber, and it's a calorie counting app.
  • SteffieSunshine
    SteffieSunshine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As a WW leader used to tell me, "No one got fat from eating too many apples." I don't shy away from the sugar in fruit as long as my diet includes vegetables, protein and lean meats.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Ok, well, it counts calories. Done. Your point? Are you suggesting MFP provide no other nutrient information?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Ok, well, it counts calories. Done. Your point? Are you suggesting MFP provide no other nutrient information?

No idea where you got that from. I was merely suggesting that a sensible default display item on a calorie counting app is a substance with calories, rather than one without.

It's trivial to display fiber instead of something less useful, I did that at the outset.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Actually you can go in and change what macro's you're counting. I personally keep track of calories, iron, protein, fat, fiber and carbs. I find that keeping track of fiber is helpful because it reminds me of the types of food I'm putting in my body. I keep track of just carbs and not sugar because going over on the sugar because of fruit and yogurt wasn't very helpful to me but I still want to track my carbs.

I also changed my percentages so my goals are 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs.

You have the ability to modify your macros (both the one's listed and the actual goals) to better meet your needs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    all that sugar in fruit...obviously the root cause of the obesity epidemic....

/sarcasm

#commonsense
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Berries are a great place to get a low calorie fruit fix!