Sorry TMI Period weight gain

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I apparently know stuff about periods that a big chunk of women don't. Which is mind-boggling to me.

The sad part is that this may be true.

We're not taught nearly enough about our own bodies and menstrual cycles growing up. Try hanging out on a "trying to get pregnant" website sometime. It's really depressing to see how little most women (and a lot of doctors) really know about our A&P.

The only reason I know anything is because I took it upon myself to educate myself. Most people don't.
  • SingRunTing
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My experience is that I apparently know stuff about periods that a big chunk of women don't. Which is mind-boggling to me.

Lol.

To be fair, I've just learned stuff now that I weigh myself daily that I didn't know before, such as I also gain and lose a few pounds around ovulation.

I actually see a bigger shift for ovulation than for my period. During my period, my weight maintains for a few days, then drops. During ovulation, it actually shifts up a pound or two.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,960 Member
    Options
    Geege29 wrote: »
    I carry at least 5 extra pounds, and that's with being on a diuretic! I'm also beyond starving the entire week, I could basically live on chocolate dipped salt if I succumb to the cravings.

My doc said the cravings are your body trying to store calories in case you get pregnant, like THAT makes me feel any better about it! Don't beat yourself up, it's biology.

That's BS. By the time you miss your period, you're already 4 (ish) weeks pregnant (pregnancy "counting" starts two weeks before you ovulate, in case anyone didn't know). The embryo would have already implanted into the uterus wall, a full week before your period. Your body already would already be producing HCG if you were pregnant. It doesn't need your period to come to tell itself whether its pregnant.

Sure, but what does account for the increased appetite? I'm looking for something more technical than "because hormones" or this:

http://www.thewellpath.com/news/why-do-i-get-so-hungry-before-and-during-my-period/

The reason for this increase in hunger is simple. Your body uses more calories during the time right before and in some cases during your period. This increase in calories makes your body burn more calories during this time, and as the calories as burning you’re going to feel hungry more often.

...As you lay in your bed doing nothing at all, your body is burning up fuel, or calories, keeping your digestive system working, helping your heart beat and all of the other wonderful things that happen inside us that we don’t have to think about on a daily basis. Every thirty days or so, the systems in your body pick up another task.

With the menstrual cycle, the week of your period makes your body do some extra work. This extra work burns more calories and your BMR actually goes up. In some women, the week of your period can make you burn up to fifteen percent more calories, and you haven’t changed a single thing about your lifestyle! To get the calories it needs, your body sends a message to your brain telling you you’re hungry more often. Since you’re feeling hungry, you eat.

This is a tricky week for women who are paying close attention to their figures, however. Being extra hungry often means you are compelled to eat. The additional symptoms of this week make eating even more enjoyable. I mean, really – if you’re sitting in sweat pants already watching weepy movies, wouldn’t it taste better with a pint of ice cream?

The trouble is, you may feel hungrier, but the extra calorie burning can be a bit deceptive. Your body is burning some extra calories, but only about 100 to 300 per day, and only for a few days at a time. Sadly, 100 calories is the same as one of those tiny snack packs you can put in your lunch while you’re dieting. At most, you can enjoy a candy bar for close to 300. A pint of ice cream is easily 500 to almost 1,000 calories at a time – it’s not justified by period calorie burn.
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    I carry at least 5 extra pounds, and that's with being on a diuretic! I'm also beyond starving the entire week, I could basically live on chocolate dipped salt if I succumb to the cravings.

My doc said the cravings are your body trying to store calories in case you get pregnant, like THAT makes me feel any better about it! Don't beat yourself up, it's biology.

That's BS. By the time you miss your period, you're already 4 (ish) weeks pregnant (pregnancy "counting" starts two weeks before you ovulate, in case anyone didn't know). The embryo would have already implanted into the uterus wall, a full week before your period. Your body already would already be producing HCG if you were pregnant. It doesn't need your period to come to tell itself whether its pregnant.

Sure, but what does account for the increased appetite? I'm looking for something more technical than "because hormones" or this:

http://www.thewellpath.com/news/why-do-i-get-so-hungry-before-and-during-my-period/

The reason for this increase in hunger is simple. Your body uses more calories during the time right before and in some cases during your period. This increase in calories makes your body burn more calories during this time, and as the calories as burning you’re going to feel hungry more often.

...As you lay in your bed doing nothing at all, your body is burning up fuel, or calories, keeping your digestive system working, helping your heart beat and all of the other wonderful things that happen inside us that we don’t have to think about on a daily basis. Every thirty days or so, the systems in your body pick up another task.

With the menstrual cycle, the week of your period makes your body do some extra work. This extra work burns more calories and your BMR actually goes up. In some women, the week of your period can make you burn up to fifteen percent more calories, and you haven’t changed a single thing about your lifestyle! To get the calories it needs, your body sends a message to your brain telling you you’re hungry more often. Since you’re feeling hungry, you eat.

This is a tricky week for women who are paying close attention to their figures, however. Being extra hungry often means you are compelled to eat. The additional symptoms of this week make eating even more enjoyable. I mean, really – if you’re sitting in sweat pants already watching weepy movies, wouldn’t it taste better with a pint of ice cream?

The trouble is, you may feel hungrier, but the extra calorie burning can be a bit deceptive. Your body is burning some extra calories, but only about 100 to 300 per day, and only for a few days at a time. Sadly, 100 calories is the same as one of those tiny snack packs you can put in your lunch while you’re dieting. At most, you can enjoy a candy bar for close to 300. A pint of ice cream is easily 500 to almost 1,000 calories at a time – it’s not justified by period calorie burn.

I'm not saying you don't burn more. I'm usually STARVING when I PMS the week before my period. But its not because your body doesn't know whether or not its pregnant. That's my point.
  • chocolatemartini77
    chocolatemartini77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    amzhun wrote: »
    hey all, I know everyone is different.... I have weighed today and put 1.5 on since last week :(

After beating myself up for a few hours I have come on...

What are your experiences?

Don't beat yourself up the body or at least my body goes through so many changes during that period. 1.6 is not bad and it will fall off. I just had my TOM pass for the first time while on mfp & I was scared because my cravings are out of this world right before I start. I HAVE to have it, if I want it and most times that is chocolate or ice cream. So I try to find alternative lower cal to what I like. I ended up having a lost my first week on mfp having TOM, but I know that will not always be the case. My cravings are so bad I feel like I literally have a monkey on my back, also my emotions are everywhere which can trigger eating. This is a great thread, because I know I feel like I get put through the ringer during this time.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1.5? Oh man, when its shark week I weight 3-6 lbs heavier, then it all poofs away a few days after its over.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,960 Member
    Options

I'm not saying you don't burn more. I'm usually STARVING when I PMS the week before my period. But its not because your body doesn't know whether or not its pregnant. That's my point.

I got your point :)

My question is what IS the cause of the increased hunger. I'm looking for an answer more comprehensive than "because hormones."

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I always go up a pound or 2 during my TOM but I push myself to exercise and eat right while on it and it usually comes right back down if not more.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 3 pounds 1-2 weeks before my period, and lose it all (and more if I'm at a deficit) the week after.
  • amzhun
    amzhun Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hun, I had a baby 6 months ago and I have had some problems down there since my belly is bloated this evening but it never is leading up to if you know what I mean before baby no 3 you wouldn't know I was on very few symptoms and bleed for like 2 days :(
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Hahaha. This. Why is this novel to some people?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have tracked it extensively. I gain about 3 pounds during ovulation and quickly lose it when my period starts.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    We're not taught nearly enough about our own bodies and menstrual cycles growing up. Try hanging out on a "trying to get pregnant" website sometime. It's really depressing to see how little most women (and a lot of doctors) really know about our A&P.

Quite. I don't really understand why more ladies don't go out and learn about it. I can't tell you how many partners would tell me, "How do you know all these things even I never knew?" Just because I don't own a car doesn't mean I get to be ignorant about how to drive one! :)

Cogent information: Check out trendweight.com. It will hook in with fitbit or withings and will filter out the noise of temporary water weight by giving and graphing a rolling average for your weight. Yeah, you don't get the immediate hit of losing a pound of water weight, but at the same time, you don't shoot up when you gain either. This is what the graphs look like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Quite. I don't really understand why more ladies don't go out and learn about it. I can't tell you how many partners would tell me, "How do you know all these things even I never knew?" Just because I don't own a car doesn't mean I get to be ignorant about how to drive one! :)

Cogent information: Check out trendweight.com. It will hook in with fitbit or withings and will filter out the noise of temporary water weight by giving and graphing a rolling average for your weight. Yeah, you don't get the immediate hit of losing a pound of water weight, but at the same time, you don't shoot up when you gain either. This is what the graphs look like.

You are a real man. I like you :)

ETA: The pic doesn't show here.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

I am always amazed at the number of women who don't know the basics of the female body. Or who have never seen a commercial for Midol.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    And what does any of that have to do with a grown woman understanding the workings of her own body?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    And what does any of that have to do with a grown woman understanding the workings of her own body?

Nothing, but it gives her the opportunity to make big, baby blue links.

OT: I gain 2-3# during ovulation. It sucks. I can't avoid it or stop it happening unless I become a FtM transgender.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

No, because that's not the topic of this discussion, nor is it appropriate for the General Diet and Weight Loss section, nor are divisive topics appropriate for the main forums.