Should I Start exercising?

Options
Hey everyone, I just started my diet this Monday, I was thinking of joining a gym today. Should I wait, or is it okay to start exercising? Some friends told me I should wait and get my body ready (whatever that means, explain it to me please) BTW, I smoke, and I am trying to quit,
I’m hoping exercise will help. Suggestions, please?
:|

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Start now. Your friends are giving bad advice and I don't even know how you get your body "ready" for the gym. If you're working out as you lose the weight it will definitely help with any loose skin or those types of issues rather than getting skinny fat and then trying to work out.
  • FitForLife2015
    FitForLife2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exercise.. How do you "get your body ready"? Get in there and do it!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Sure. And if you have no idea what to so look into StrongLifts, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women or Jamie Eason over on bodybuilding.com.

This thread explains why I recc'd those workouts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on your deathbed, exercise. Your body wants it, to any degree.
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise! It will make you feel better, and give you some wiggle room in your calories when you can be as accurate as you would like.
  • NJDad
    NJDad Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sure. And if you have no idea what to so look into StrongLifts, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women or Jamie Eason over on bodybuilding.com.

This thread explains why I recc'd those workouts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

What she said. Also consider Starting Strength. And in addition to strength, you might want to do short, high intensity workouts a few times a week.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you are trying to quit, however, I think you should forego calorie restriction. I quit cold turkey, just gave it up one day. I tried quitting about 4 times before, and 3 of those times, I was dieting. The other time, I wasn't, but I was not working out.

When I finally quit, I allowed myself to gorge on anything I wanted. The price of the cigs canceled out the price of the extra food. I gained 20 lbs. But guess what? I exercised that entire time to keep the weight in check.

My motivator was that I could work to reverse the weight gain MUCH EASIER than work to reverse the negative effects of smoking. Unless you are morbidly obese (hundreds of lbs beyond overweight/obese line), being obese and not smoking is healthier than being overweight/obese and smoking. I dont know your stats, but that curve gets better the less you weigh.

I still exercised, but I didnt track calories. After about 3 months, cravings stopped, excess eating slowed, and then I got to my nutrition. It is EXTREMELY difficult to restrict calories while quitting smoking, because you take out a major outlet. Cigarettes are an appetite suppressant, so when you quit, your metabolism speeds up. That is a good thing for your body, in many ways, but it also makes you ravenously hungry. In my experience, munching on celery sticks and carrots all day wouldn't cut it. I needed hearty food.

If you want to quit, quit. Still exercise, but do not restrict calories. You will gain weight, but whats 20 or 30 lbs that are completely temporary compared to a lifetime of accelerated, sometimes permanent and terminal health problems and inhibitions due to smoking?

Best of will to you!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is good.
    You should start.
    With exercise, you can achieve things mere diet can't offer. Being fit transforms you inside and out.
    And you'll like more of what you see and feel as the weight comes off.

Good Luck!
    :)

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Try to find a locally owned gym; the staff is usually friendly and more apt to help you get started and assist you w/correct form when you start lifting weights. Quitting smoking is hard (but you can do it); hubby & I quit a long time ago; I think it's harder to quit now than when we did (we "ran out" of cigarettes).
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Of course you should exercise! It's good for you, and you can eat a bit more. :smile:

I have no idea what your friends meant by "getting your body ready." Your body is built to move; barring any major health problems (that your doctors, not your friends, should advise you on), you're in a constant state of being ready to exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to wait. However, do strike a balance between pushing yourself too hard and not pushing yourself hard enough. Might want to take a few sessions with a personal trainer. You may get at least one free one for joining the gym.
  • natgetittogether
    natgetittogether Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Guys, i also have no idea what they meant. Thank you so much for your tips!!!! Im glad i joined MFP, omw home i will make a stop at the gym to get started with my membership. Wish me luck! My starting weight is 169 pounds, i'm hoping to weigh 125 pounds. wish me luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Exercise. There's not necessarily a reason to join a gym yet, though. You can simply start out by walking.
  • natgetittogether
    Options
    Question, is insanity a good workout program?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a good workout but it is for people that are already in shape. If you haven't exercised in awhile I would start off walking or slow jog and work your way up depending upon how comfortable you are with it. I personally don't think its wise for people who never exercise to all of a sudden go overboard on it to lose weight. Because if you're not an exercise type person eventually you'll stop and then gain the weight back because you relied on it too much. If you love to exercise go for it...but if you see exercise as a chore then just do an easy moderate excerise routine. Something that will get you into shape a little bit but does not play a HUGE factor into your weightloss. That way when you stop its not going to have such a huge impact on whether or not you gain or lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Insanity is a good workout but it is for people that are already in shape. If you haven't exercised in awhile I would start off walking or slow jog and work your way up depending upon how comfortable you are with it. I personally don't think its wise for people who never exercise to all of a sudden go overboard on it to lose weight. Because if you're not an exercise type person eventually you'll stop and then gain the weight back because you relied on it too much. If you love to exercise go for it...but if you see exercise as a chore then just do an easy moderate exercise routine. Something that will get you into shape a little bit but does not play a HUGE factor into your weightloss. That way when you stop its not going to have such a huge impact on whether or not you gain or lose weight.

^ Exactly.

@natgetittogether - try starting with walking and building gradually up to Insanity. How are your knees?
  • natgetittogether
    Options
    THANK YOU! Love you all!
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Start now. Your friends are giving bad advice and I don't even know how you get your body "ready" for the gym. If you're working out as you lose the weight it will definitely help with any loose skin or those types of issues rather than getting skinny fat and then trying to work out.
    I agree!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's another thought. Weight Watchers brings up exercise on week two or three. I think this is because they want the participant to get that initial blush of success, losing weight by restricting calories. Exercise is wonderful and I enjoy it much more than dieting. I find the results are much more tangible and direct. That is, if I work out today I'll be a little more sore tomorrow, and by the third day, a little stronger! Win!

BUT

Suddenly adding a lot of exercise bumps up the appetite and also may result in temporary weight (not fat) gain as the muscles swell a little from water weight (repair). So the poor dieter, who has eaten "clean" for two whole weeks, worked out like an insane person every day for an hour, sees a GAIN at the scale, and, hangry, is ready to QUIT. That's it; poutine, ice cream and sugar soda in front of the TV.

I say approach exercise slowly. Try lots of different routines, clubs, sports, and classes, and find something you really enjoy. Make sure it's not just about weight loss but about increasing your strength, mobility, health, and fitness.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Question, is insanity a good workout program?

Do you know what kinds of workouts you like to do? Until you have a pretty good idea I'd hold off on the pricey (Insanity is high impact) Beach Body sets.

Look on-line for fitness videos....fitness blender, Jessica Smith TV, Daily Burn....tons of them. You can try new things & (start getting fit) while figuring out what you like.

Exercise is for fitness.....ideally you want to make exercise a lifestyle change too. Finding out what you like is the thing that keeps you consistent.