Starving myself FAT

Options
tlroof
tlroof Posts: 3 Member
My epiphany. I recently realized that I was literally starving myself to a fatter me. It's so hard to figure out what to believe in the world of weight loss but this is true! We cannot starve ourselves and get results! I have a very active job working outside since April of this year and I thought I would definitely see some weight loss. I decided to skip breakfast and lunch, eat a late snack and then a small dinner and I hadn't lost a lb! I'm not a 'breakfast person' but I've been forcing myself to eat in the morning, eat lunch each day and an earlier dinner. In the last three days the scale has gone down. I'm sure I'll plateau after I lose water weight but it's good info to get the ball rolling! Eat!

Replies

• Amri10
    Amri10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I know what you mean. Not eating just makes it worse, doesn't help at all. It's like the body hits in reverse gear.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't work that way. If you're starving yourself, you'll lose weight. But eating that little could set people up for binges, which would negate their progress.

You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to; just fit those calories in at a later time.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    That's actually not quite how it works. Meal timing and frequency don't matter in terms of weight loss. The only thing that matters is how many calories is consumed and how many are burned.

Perhaps you do actually do better eating breakfast which translates to eating less calories at lunch and dinner. If it works for you, great. But it's not needed or required.

Personally, I have to have breakfast. I'm a total breakfast person. But I tend to eat more calories if I skip breakfast.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The body is an amazing machine, but from what I have read here, weight loss is calories in, calories out and it doesn't matter when you eat the calories. Try accurately tracking your calories for a while by weighing and measuring your food. I just started this and there is a 20-30% difference in the actual number of calories from what I thought I was eating by just estimating.
    Good luck to you!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as starving yourself fat. Read up on the Irish prison hunger strikes in the 70's.
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think you were on intermittent fasting which is good as long as you don't over eat on your eating time. I have been doing it for 6 weeks and lost 10lbs.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Basically she is saying that now that she is eating more calories rather than starving herself, the scale is moving.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    Basically she is saying that now that she is eating more calories rather than starving herself, the scale is moving.

If she was starving herself the scale would have been going down then, because you know deficit, science thing. ;)

OP make sure weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

If she was starving herself the scale would have been going down then, because you know deficit, science thing. ;)

Yes, I understand the deficit, science thing :) I also know that many who are not losing and up their calories, start to lose. Heck, I cannot explain it, but I can say from experience that it's a fact. Everyone is different and we need to find what works best for us :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Or could she be eating less at the end of the day and making better choices because she isn't skipping meals anymore. Maybe she's eating more often but fewer calories. Most people I know who skip breakfast and lunch end up really eating more than they think they do at night.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You do not understand how weight loss works. It helps if you know what you are talking abojt and that means doing some basic research or you will end up deluding yourself with crazy ideas.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Yes, I understand the deficit, science thing :) I also know that many who are not losing and up their calories, start to lose. Heck, I cannot explain it, but I can say from experience that it's a fact. Everyone is different and we need to find what works best for us :)

Nope. They aren't eating more, they just aren't tracking their calories correctly .
  • sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sadly I starved myself a few times in my early twenties. Lost weight every time
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough, I move less. You don't have to eat breakfast, but fueling up helps me get going in the morning.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OP is talking about a few days of not eating and a few days of eating properly. This is not enough time to prove anything.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

No. The "science thing" works for everyone.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Nope. My theory is that they weren't tracking with 100% accuracy and were having "just a bite" too often. When they upped their calories, their self-sabotaging came to an end because they stopped seeing what they ate in red.

From MY experience, if you eat more, you notice a water weight gain, which occasionally does drop off rather sharply.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your body doesn't work that way. If you're starving yourself, you'll lose weight. But eating that little could set people up for binges, which would negate their progress.

You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to; just fit those calories in at a later time.

OP, the "Starvation Mode" you described does NOT exist. It just doesn't. It's a bunch of hogwash that needs to just die already and quit being spread around. You were likely overcompensating at dinner for skipping breakfast and lunch and that was the cause of the no loss. Your body was starving after all day not eating! You are likely losing now because you are no longer letting yourself get so darned hungry before eating.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    But I tend to eat more calories if I skip breakfast.

Just an example for others that everyone is different and they have to find what works for them. I don't eat breakfast and if I do I actually wind up hungrier and eating more calories during the day then if I skip it and eat my first meal at 11 to noon-ish. It's like my brain says "oh we can eat now? Let's get started!" if I eat any earlier.