Calculating Marinated Foods

Options
tammykoon
tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
I was wondring how to handle the calorie count on meat that I marinate. Example: If I make chicken and marinate it over night in a dressing, do I count all of the dressing in my calculations? Or do I guesstimate how much really goes onto the meat when it is cooked? Any tips?

Replies

• Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the samething the other day...
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I think I read recently that you measure the marinade beforehand and then measure the excess that you throw out afterward, and then you can figure how much went into the meat.
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think I read recently that you measure the marinade beforehand and then measure the excess that you throw out afterward, and then you can figure how much went into the meat.

Brilliant!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Sounds reasonable...
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me. I put chicken breast in the crockpot this morning and put bar-b-q sauce on them. Now I know how to figure calories out.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I would never have figured this one out. It was driving me nuts because we always marinate foods.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Just use the rceipe calculator and it should be very close even if you toss out some of the marinade. The meat absorbes most of the good stuff like flavor, sodium and calories!

Enjoy!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered this too. I found marinated foods are listed in the database. Just type in marinated and several come up.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck.