Healthy meals?

Options
anyone got any good meal ideas? Fed up of the usual chicken and rice :(

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Healthy is very relative, which should be viewed at in the entirety of ones diet. You can eat almost everything and get plenty of nutrients. You don't need to live off of chicken and rice. Add in some fish, other meats (steak, lamb, veal, pork, bison, etc...), quinoa, oats, etc... pretty much, just go to www.mccormick.com and find a meal you enjoy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pick a protein, any protein. Then pair it with a carb, any carb. Then there's the preparation. You can roast, braise, fry, put in a stew or casserole. Here's a few examples.

Protein:
    Egg
    Fish
    Beef
    Pork
    Turkey
    Beans

Carb:
    Pasta
    Potato
    Sweet Potato
    Salad
    Spiralized Zucchini or Squash
    Chinese Noodles

Preparation:
    Egg with pastry and cheese; Quiche. Add lots of vegetables and put about a quarter of the called-for cheese.
    Fish with potato; Newfie Cod Cakes
    Beef with sweet potato; Beef with Sweet Potato Stew
    Pork with salad; prepare the Pork on a George Foreman.
    Turkey and Black Bean chili.

So you see, the sky really is the limit. The preparation and the portioning will lower the calorie count.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, I might mention that pork chops are excellent with a little apple sauce. This is the season for apples!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had some seriously fabulous Norwegian farmed Atlantic salmon last night. It's very pricey/lb, but so worth it. I had this paired with half of a cheese, rice, and mushroom stuffed purple pepper.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Pick a protein, any protein. Then pair it with a carb, any carb. Then there's the preparation. You can roast, braise, fry, put in a stew or casserole. Here's a few examples.

I'd say this is the right approach, but I'd modify it just a little.

Pick a protein (this could be a vegetarian option like a tofu or beans & rice or egg main dish), pair with a vegetable or two (or more), either on the side or as part of a one-pot meal like a pasta or stew or stir-fry. By vegetable I mean non-starchy veg. Then round out the meal as you like -- I usually (not always) go with a starch like potato or corn or sweet potato (other common examples of this are bread, rice, beans). Other options, in addition to or in lieu of the starch would be fruit or dairy. Sometimes if I want to keep calories down (as when I have a fattier/more caloric meat option) I substitute a starchier vegetable like root vegetables or winter squash or even brussels sprouts for the starch course or just have a cooked vegetable plus a side salad with raw vegetables on it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And I have to agree that pork chops with cooked apples (plus onions and sauerkraut, perhaps) and some green beans on the side is a wonderful meal. Where I live I'd wait another month, but definitely expand beyond chicken.

Fish is great if you like it too, but I eat all kinds of meat.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I can't believe I forgot tofu. And hey, pairing with a vegetable first is fab!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are bazillions of ways to prepare food! Do not get sucked into the trap of thinking "Healthy food can't taste good." It can! It does!

The saddest thing I ever read on MFP is "I eat a mostly healthy diet, but I still save room for foods that I like."

I'm not saying I love every single thing I eat, but I love most of it and like all of it. My heart cries for people who think that eating healthy means, "Plain, baked chicken, every day" and then eat that. :( Don't do it! Branch out! Expirement with different food combinations. Use herbs and spices. Try new things and try the old things in new ways.

Start mixing it up a little and find out how yummy healthy food can be! :)
  • Hawthornemom
    Hawthornemom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love recipes on pinchofyum.com, check out food blogs- i love her rainbow salad , farro is so tasty as bottom layer on salad, and that homemade jalapeño ranch is to die for
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are bazillions of ways to prepare food! Do not get sucked into the trap of thinking "Healthy food can't taste good." It can! It does!

The saddest thing I ever read on MFP is "I eat a mostly healthy diet, but I still save room for foods that I like."

I'm not saying I love every single thing I eat, but I love most of it and like all of it. My heart cries for people who think that eating healthy means, "Plain, baked chicken, every day" and then eat that. :( Don't do it! Branch out! Expirement with different food combinations. Use herbs and spices. Try new things and try the old things in new ways.

tbt.gif
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I'll bow to your judgement on that matter. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Oh, I might mention that pork chops are excellent with a little apple sauce. This is the season for apples!

The only time I buy apple juice is when I make pork chops. I braise them in apple juice, then serve with apples I chop and cook with the pork. Throw a handful of cranberries in too if they are in season. It is a little too early for the apples and cranberries in my neck of the woods but they should be coming in in a couple of weeks. I am heading Up North next weekend and theirs might be ready for harvest now.

• ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Chicken and rice are not healthy, if you really want healthy you need to be more specific. Vegetarian diet is more healthy and best to stay fit.
    I always take low-crab and less calorie food, Regenon pills also help in controlling my appetite.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chicken and rice are not healthy, if you really want healthy you need to be more specific. Vegetarian diet is more healthy and best to stay fit.
    I always take low-crab and less calorie food, Regenon pills also help in controlling my appetite.

No.. that isn't even remotely true.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Vegetarian here. 15 years and counting. And a big ol' nope to that. I also find it deliciously ironic that you are making comments about what is or is not healthy while also recommending diet pills.

Is irony low carb?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kellyywxx wrote: »
    anyone got any good meal ideas? Fed up of the usual chicken and rice :(

wow...you have a lot to learn about actual nutrition if that's seriously all you think is healthy...

how about a variety of protein sources? how about some potatoes and sweet potatoes and quinoa and pasta? how about a variety of veggies cooked in a variety of different ways? how about some fruit? etc, etc, etc...

look around your store at all of the whole foods...how are you only coming up with chicken and rice? that's sad.