Food restrictions

Hi all
I was wondering if there was anyone's that could help me out about recently I was told the I need to stay away from fish seafood dark leafed vegetables strawberries most nuts and all the other lovely food that people recommend for weight loss... Does anyone out that possibly have suggestions on how to stick to weight loss and diet with being so limited

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited August 2015
    WHU??? Why?
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    If it is a Dr. who is restricting, your diet in such a way, go back and get a list of allowable foods. If it is not a Dr. or other medical professional whose care you are under who is restricting your diet, why would you listen?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I agree. Who told you that?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Do you have an allergy or illness ?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Why?!
  • meghanwawa
    meghanwawa Posts: 6 Member
    It was a doctor yes ive been having kidney issues so I'm going for further testing and have a follow up in October but he suggested we start with diet seeing as all those food have certain things that can cause issues... I got a list of what I couldn't eat... Just seems like a broad range of things
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Eat what you normally would, only in a deficit. Get it out of your head that there are diet foods or certain things you have to eat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Were you told to be careful of protein?
  • kk_inprogress
    Eat the foods you can, at a caloric deficit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Write out a list of all the foods you enjoy food and then cross everything you're not allowed to eat. Then eat the foods that are left in proportions that are in your calorie goal. It looks like you can still have lean meats that aren't fish? Potatoes and other non leafy vegetables? Brussel sprouts? Squash?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Eat the foods you can, at a caloric deficit.

Pretty much. I don't see what else could be said.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Get a referral to a dietitian who can help you figure out what a healthy diet is for you! You'll be so glad you did. RDs are great for weight loss, but they really shine when you're on a special diet. That's their forte and that's the greatest thing about them, IMO. Do that!

In the meantime, just avoid the foods you were told to avoid and eat other stuff. :)

I've had some health stuff, too, and for me, that just makes adherence to a diet easier. When it's, "Oh, maybe in thirty or forty years, I might have health problems," it's very easy to ignore. When it's, "If you don't do this, you could die and soon," it's WAY easier to say, "Nope, not eating it!" Just focus on doing your part to make yourself healthier. That's the best and smartest thing you can do...and really all you can do, anyway.

Hang in there!
  • meghanwawa
    meghanwawa Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone :smiley:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    meghanwawa wrote: »
    It was a doctor yes ive been having kidney issues so I'm going for further testing and have a follow up in October but he suggested we start with diet seeing as all those food have certain things that can cause issues... I got a list of what I couldn't eat... Just seems like a broad range of things

If you are having kidney issues, and your doctor says not to eat certain foods, I would not eat those foods.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

You are mixing two very different subjects. A doctor trying to save you from kidney failure can give different advice than from a weight loss doctor.

Talk to your doctor instead of getting advice off the web that may go against what you need to get your kidneys back healthy.

• kk_inprogress

You are mixing two very different subjects. A doctor trying to save you from kidney failure can give different advice than from a weight loss doctor.

Talk to your doctor instead of getting advice off the web that may go against what you need to get your kidneys back healthy.

So, the doctor gave her a list of things she can't eat. If she stays away from those and eats everything else at a deficit, why does she needs more information from a doctor?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Bad drivers focus on the hazards and then, painfully, keep hitting them! My mother with kidney issues had a forbidden list too, so avoided bananas. I think the diet is intended to take pressure off your kidneys which are the great filters for your body. This means sadly they take out surplus potassium, b vitamins and vitamin C for instance.

I am guessing that many bland foods are in! Which can help with weight loss by watching your portions. MFP is great for that.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Hi all
    I was wondering if there was anyone's that could help me out about recently I was told the I need to stay away from fish seafood dark leafed vegetables strawberries most nuts and all the other lovely food that people recommend for weight loss... Does anyone out that possibly have suggestions on how to stick to weight loss and diet with being so limited

Eat what you can (is allowable per your doctor) and track it. Meats might include chicken, pork and beef loin/sirloin as more calorie friendly per oz than, say, lamb and ham and sausage type stuff (though you can eat all of that and still lose weight if you maintain portion control), for example. If other veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, summer squash, for example, are on the allowed list you can make a great summer salad with them. Other summer fruits on the OK list? peaches, apples, cherries, nectarines, plums all delicious. If dairy is allowed, that can be great on a weight loss food plan.

Hope everything turns out for you ok. At this point, eat for health.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi all

Call Monday for better instructions.

Ask for specifics. Are you supposed to be eating mostly carbs and small amounts of meat?
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Yes! Follow the restrictions set for you by your Dr. to avoid the kidney problems. He/she should be able to Monday refer you to a dietician who can help you with a list of allowable foods. Then it is as simple as weighing out 1 serving and eating within your calorie goals. You may also want to get your Dr.'s blessing on your weight loss plans so you do not do unintentional damage.