Rain Jacket or Running Jacket?

Options
For the first time since I started running I will be doing a run in the rain. Most of the time if it's raining I can run inside on the treadmill, but I don't really want to do my long run (undecided if it will be 12, 14, or 16km) on the treadmill.
It's supposed to be 12*C and 15km/h winds.
I'm not sure if I should wear my running jacket, or if I should wear a rain jacket.
I think that the running jacket is a bit waterproof, but not to the extent of the rain jacket, but the rain jacket doesn't breathe the way the running jacket would.
Which would use suggest?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would just get wet and then change into dry clothes when I get home. Put vaseline/bodyglide anywhere that might chafe, though.

(i.e. I would not wear a jacket unless it was really cold.)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. I'd skip the jacket unless it was too cold for me.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    12C/54F - yeah, skip the rain jacket; you'll just get sweaty and wet from the inside out instead. That's pretty borderline as to whether I would wear a running jacket that will get wet or just a T-shirt. (Probably I would do it in the fall, when I'm used to summer heat, but not in the spring).

One thing, though--I would absolutely wear compression shorts or capris instead of baggy ones, which will stick to your legs all funny.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ditto all of the above.

I don't use a rain coat. I use my running coat to keep the wind off me if it is cold.

And especially this, I definitely avoid the loose clothing when I'm going to get soak
    One thing, though--I would absolutely wear compression shorts or capris instead of baggy ones, which will stick to your legs all funny.

And this. If I don't change right away, even in the heat, I get a chill.
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I would just get wet and then change into dry clothes when I get home. Put vaseline/bodyglide anywhere that might chafe, though.

(i.e. I would not wear a jacket unless it was really cold.)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're going to wear a jacket wear the running one but I'm with the others......12C in the rain (unless it was a monsoon) would be very enjoyable, I wouldn't wear a jacket either.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I wear a sleeveless vest and shorts unless it's under 5C, when I might consider wearing a t-shirt. I also think baggy shorts (if short enough) are fine in the rain UNLESS they have a seam on the inside of the thigh, which is annoyingly poor design and might rub.

Also to be avoided are shorts made of light-coloured flimsy material that might go transparent when wet. If this does happen, my top tip is not to yell OH NO MY SHORTS HAVE GONE ALL SEE-THROUGH as this just draws attention to it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I wear a sleeveless vest and shorts unless it's under 5C, when I might consider wearing a t-shirt. I also think baggy shorts (if short enough) are fine in the rain UNLESS they have a seam on the inside of the thigh, which is annoyingly poor design and might rub.

Also to be avoided are shorts made of light-coloured flimsy material that might go transparent when wet. If this does happen, my top tip is not to yell OH NO MY SHORTS HAVE GONE ALL SEE-THROUGH as this just draws attention to it.

LOL!

I have bigger legs so short shorts are a no go plus I chafe like mad so baggy short are a nightmare for me when wet. I understand not everyone is like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I sweat like no other so I'm soaked anyway...I really wouldn't care about getting wet on a run or a ride. I would just wear my normal gear personally.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    At 12°C with 15 km/h winds I would probably wear a light long-sleeved wool shirt and running shorts.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I read your posts quickly before my run and went with my running jacket (and running tights that went to my ankles). I was quite happy with my choices. Initially the rain was pouring so my sleeves of my jacket filled with pools of water, but the jacket kept my torso dry and with some of the winds I was happy that it was dry. At about the 4-5km mark the rain eased up and other than some slight chafing of the upper upper legs it was a decent run.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only wear my rain jacket if it's cold out. The rain jacket doesn't breathe and I get soaked anyway, but it does WONDERS for keeping me warm. I also found out during a 50 miler where it rained for 9 straight hours, that even if your rain jacket is absolutely drenched (had it hanging from my pack), if you put it on when you are cold, it will warm you up!! B)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i live in the uk so im used to rain

im also always too hot so i run in capri's and a vest top and keep a towel and a fleece in the car for on the way home so i dont get too cold afterwards

but i also wear summer dresses up until snow hits the ground
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be 12*C and 15km/h winds.

Sounds like much of Vancouver's fall. :smile:

Good choice on running outside! I've never run on a treadmill because of rain, but recently ran indoors three times while on holidays because of heat.

My rule of thumb is no jacket unless it is really, really. pouring and probably under 8C outside. Even then I'm probably only likely to wear a jacket if running a slower pace with someone else; if running my usual pace I generate enough heat internally that a jacket would be as wet inside as out.

Sore nipples ( a guy thing ) is my bigger concern for long runs in the rain.